Former CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite is dead at age 92

Walter Cronkite, who personified television journalism for more than a generation as anchor and managing editor of the "CBS Evening News," has died Friday night in New York. He was 92.

Known for his steady and straightforward delivery, his trim moustache, and his iconic sign-off line -"That’s the way it is" - Cronkite dominated the television news industry during one of the most volatile periods of American history. He broke the news of the Kennedy assassination, reported extensively on Vietnam and Civil Rights and Watergate, and seemed to be the very embodiment of TV journalism.

more at link
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/17/eveningnews/main5170556.shtml

They're showing a retrospective of him on TV now. He said about the current state of news that you should tell people what they need to know, not what they want to know.

My how things have changed.

I saw the same announcement on CBS. Godspeed to one of the few amazing reporters of our time. This gentleman was beyond respected from me. There will never be another Walter Cronkite. Only those who can wish to be close to his respectibility. He will be missed. Greatly.

A great man who God gave a long life. Walter will be greatly missed.

:rose: Rest in Peace :rose:

He pretty much covered every major news story of my lifetime... and that's the way it is. RIP Mr. Cronkite.

RIP Mr. Cronkite, one of the true legends of the new industry. :(

He pretty much covered every major news story of my lifetime... and that's the way it is. RIP Mr. Cronkite.

He attended high school here in Houston, San Jacinto High, (now Houston Comm. College). I think I'll go there tomorrow and take some flowers.

Well, I grew up during his era of TV anchorship; back then we had 2 or 3 TV channels only; most families all across American watched the SAME shows - Wagon Train, Ponderosa, Mary Tyler Moore...

Most families watched the news in the evening with Walter Cronkite, as our fathers sat with their beer or drink after coming home from work and our mothers prepared dinner as we kids set the table.

We trusted what we heard, and he reported the news as objectively as he could. He was as familiar to our routine as watching our own fathers walk through the door. I'll never forget his announcement of Kennedy's death - his emotion was so totally uncharacteristic of his reporting (and uncharacteristic of most men during those times).

Supposedly the only time he expressed a subjective opinion on a subject was after he travelled to Viet Nam with Lyndon Johnson.

I miss the warm and fuzzy feeling of listening to Walter every night. At least he was fortunate to live a long and productive, satisfying life. How many can do that? RIP Walter Cronkite

Just heard about Walter Cronkite. May he rest in peace, and may God bless and keep his family.

I am 58 years old, and I remember when I was in grade school we could not have supper until Walter Cronkite was over! AND we could not talk during the program! He was on TV in our house every night.

I had a tremendous amount of respect for him.

RIP, Mr. Cronkite. I remember his evening news so well when I was a child too.

The only part of President Kennedy's assissanation that I remember is the very first live announcement that Mr. Cronkite made just as " As The World Turns" was starting its live performance that day. My mother told me it wasn't part of " the show" and she cried softly and held me and prayed quietly for a dying statesman in Dallas..
I don't remember any of the rest of the events surrounding President Kennedy's death-- it was all so foreign to me and I was too young to understand or for the televised ceremonies to make a lasting memory. But I knew Walter Cronkite, so I remembered his announcement and how serious he looked and sounded.
My only memory of a part of our history is now gone.

RIP, Mr. Cronkite. You were a gentleman and a respected reporter. They don't grow them like you any longer.

Respectfully,
Maria

RIP Mr. Cronkite.

What a fine journalist who lived a long and wonderful life. We grew up watching him report the news when we were children. He will forever bring back many fine memories.

Blessings to his family.

Goz

Walter Cronkite was a great journalist.
He took us through many emotions throughout his years,from the sadness of the Kennedy assassination,to the jubilation of the Apollo moon mission.
He was so excited about the Apollo moon mission,it seems ironic that he would pass away on it's 40th anniversary.

We enjoyed listening to you Mr. Cronkite,rest in peace.

Most of the important new events in my lifetime were report by him. I recall watching an interview given years after his retirement and he was talking about how different the news in now and how it bothered him. I call most people news readers - not reporters. He never lost respect nor has been fogotten, no one will ever take his place. We won't refer to news given by an individual, perhaps just a station. I add my respects to his family.

I grew up with Mr. Cronkite he was truly a Journalist..He actually in my mind is the last..I can't think of one reporter that reports Facts and Truth without all the flair and Bias today..They to me are the Disgrace of Journalism,

Actually I wouldn't use that word defining them it is just reporting and bad at that.

RIP Mr. Cronkite you are a true gentleman.:clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back