Identified! OH - Scioto Co., Human remains in vacant house, Jul'09 - Nichole Alloway

How sad :(

Remains in Ohio ID'd as missing NC woman

PORTSMOUTH, Ohio An Ohio sheriff says remains found earlier this month are those of a North Carolina woman who had traveled north to meet a man she knew from the Internet.
Scioto (sy-OH'-tuh) County Sheriff Marty Donini said Monday that authorities identified 19-year-old Nicole Alloway of Springhope, N.C., through dental records. The body was discovered July 12 in a creek near the community of Otway, 78 miles south of Columbus.
Capt. David Hall with the sheriff's office says the cause of death has not been determined.
Family members say they hadn't heard from Alloway since early June.

North Carolina woman, 20, killed in southern Ohio

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:04 AM
By Randy Ludlow

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
An Internet romance and hopes for a better life led a young North Carolina mother to southern Ohio -- and her death.

Nichole Ann Alloway
Skeletal remains found July 12 near Otway in Scioto County have been identified through dental records as Nichole Ann Alloway, 20, of Spring Hope, N.C., Sheriff Marty Donini announced.

The woman went missing June 10, about three weeks after family members said she traveled to Portsmouth to meet a man with whom she had chatted for six months on the Internet.

The in-person relationship did not work out. Alloway was hours away from boarding a bus back to Spring Hope when she disappeared, said her grandmother, Diane Dille. Alloway's 3-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son remained in North Carolina.

"She had a good heart, but she was too trusting of other human beings," Dille said today. "I'm hoping they will get the guy or guys who did this. I want the death penalty for them. It would be an easier death than they gave Nichole."

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/07/21/alloway.html?sid=101

Snipped by me..I though this was an interesting piece of info.
They cleared the second man after finding stolen property belongong to her...:confused:

According to a Columbus television station, Alloway, who is a single mother of two, left her children and traveled to Portsmouth to meet a man she had chatted with on the Internet for about six months.
Apparently, that friendship lasted less than two weeks after she arrived in Portsmouth.
Alloway reportedly met a second man who was later arrested with stolen property that belonged to her.
After interviewing both men, police said neither is a suspect in the case.
Anyone with information about the case should call the Scioto County Sheriff's Office at (740) 354-7566

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6925432

Neither of those men is a suspect? You'd think the one with her stolen belongings would at least be a suspect. Maybe a POI?

Neither of those men is a suspect? You'd think the one with her stolen belongings would at least be a suspect. Maybe a POI?

I was wondering the same thing !:confused:
Trying to find a little more info from LE in the news ti find out who these two are and any other info available.

Lure of Lure of Internet romance led to missing woman's death in Ohio

Snipped by me:

“She went up there because she thought she could have a better life for her and her children,” Dille said. “She was going to go live with this 18-year-old because she didn’t feel like she was going anywhere down here, and she was convinced this was going to give her a fresh start and a life of her own.”

The in-person relationship fizzled within two weeks, Dille said, and the family made plans for her return. Alloway was on her way to board a bus back to Spring Hope when she disappeared.

Alloway spent a few days at the house of another man prior to her planned departure, Dille said. She also spent the night in a women’s shelter June 9 after Portsmouth police stopped her and a man who was driving her to a bus station. The man was arrested on drug charges.

Authorities said several persons, including the man Alloway traveled to meet, are being interviewed in connection to the case. No suspects have been named, officials said.

In Spring Hope, Alloway’s 2-year-old daughter still sometimes wakes up and asks, “Where’s mommy,” Dille said. Dille said she nearly collapsed when authorities told her the body found matched her granddaughter, who she raised as her own.

She wants justice and punishment for whoever committed the murder, she said.

If any good is to come of her granddaughter’s death, Dille said, she hopes it is a warning that could save the lives of other women like her: “Don’t trust strangers on the Internet,” Dille said

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/n...d-to-missing-womans-death-in-ohio-730148.html

I had posted about this earlier since it is in the same area that some other women disappeared and were found murdered. That was before they posted the info about her leaving to meet a man she met on the internet.

This really bothers me , my aunt as well has met people through myspace for dating.
Before she meets with them I always make sure I know who they are , full name where they live. She thinks I am paranoid ! She told me I spend to much time here on WS..lol. I guess I will email her this article.
She sometimes gets upset with me but I told her " I need this info so I can track them down if you don't come back" she just rolls her eyes.
At least she always meets them at a public place, busy places.

I am so sorry for Nicole's family, at least now they can have some closure..lets hope there is swift justice here, it's possible this person could be at it again.

Nash woman tried to return from Ohio before she was killed

Spring Hope, N.C. — Ohio authorities said they want to talk with a man whom a Spring Hope woman went to visit before she disappeared last month.

The remains of Nichole Alloway, 20, were found last week in an abandoned house near Otway, Ohio, in the southeastern part of the state. Her family reported her missing on June 10 to police in Portsmouth, Ohio, which is about 20 miles from Otway.

Alloway's grandmother, Diane Dille, said she she had gone to Portsmouth in mid-May to visit Dillon Maring, 18, whom she had met online but had never met in person.

"They had talked for several months prior on the phone and on the Internet, on MySpace," Dille said.

She said her granddaughter wanted a relationship and was considering moving to Ohio with her two children.

Even before she got on the bus to Ohio, however, things didn't feel right.

"She got her first foot on that step and held onto the railing, and she turned to me and said, 'Grandma, I got a bad feeling about this,'" Dille said. "I said, 'Well then, don't go. Stay here.' She said, 'No, I gotta go.'"

Things got worse after Alloway arrived in Ohio, said her sister, Denise Vick.

"He didn't show her any apartments. Nothing added up when she got up there," Vick said. "He just wanted to go out and hang out with all his friends, and she didn't approve of a lot of his friends."

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5625164/

Is there such a thing as "theft by finding" in the US?

I'm just wondering if there was good evidence that Nicole had left the area voluntarily, leaving stuff behind (which was then kept by the POI) but which would tend to exclude his/their being involved in the disappearance?

Seems odd if they have been cleared though - of course if these people have killed her, it's not going to be the most well conceived or planned crime so they may well take "not a suspect" literally and behave more openly as a result.

How sad for this woman's family and children that she didn't think she had anything better in life to look forward to. I really hope that the grandmother's warning is heard by at least one young woman who thinks she needs a man to make her life worth living.

Human Remains Found in Scioto County

The Scioto County Sheriff’s Office says human remain have been found near Otway.

The Sheriff’s Offices say the skeletal remains appear to be that of a white female.

Identified as Nichole Alloway:

Posted: July 21, 2009
Spring Hope, N.C. — Ohio authorities said they want to talk with a man whom a Spring Hope woman went to visit before she disappeared last month.

The remains of Nichole Alloway, 20, were found last week in an abandoned house near Otway, Ohio, in the southeastern part of the state. Her family reported her missing on June 10 to police in Portsmouth, Ohio, which is about 20 miles from Otway.

Alloway's grandmother, Diane Dille, said she she had gone to Portsmouth in mid-May to visit Dillon Maring, 18, whom she had met online but had never met in person.

From July 2009:

Alloway's grandmother, Diane Dille, said she she had gone to Portsmouth in mid-May to visit Dillon Maring, 18, whom she had met online but had never met in person...

"He didn't show her any apartments. Nothing added up when she got up there," Vick said. "He just wanted to go out and hang out with all his friends, and she didn't approve of a lot of his friends."

Alloway, who called home daily to check on her children, then asked her family to wire her money for a bus ticket home. Dille said she picked up the money in early June but never got on the bus home.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/51237222.html

Sheriff Marty Donini said Richard E. Howard, 32, has been charged with three felonies in the death of Nicole Alloway. The release from the sheriff's department states that detectives believe Alloway and Howard were traveling on State Route 73 recently while abusing drugs and Alloway died in the vehicle. Detectives say Howard disposed of Alloway's body in a rock embedded area off of Route 73 in Otway.

Howard faces one count of Gross Abuse of a Corpse, Tampering with Evidence and Trafficking in Drugs, which are all felonies. Prosecutors will also present other death related charges to a grand jury once final forensics reports are received. Sheriff Donini says the cause of death for Alloway is still not known.

Later in 2009, apparently after toxicology results were in:

http://springhopeenterprise.com/coroner-says-sh-woman-killed-in-ohio-was-drugfree-p3921-100.htm

A death certificate said Nichole Alloway, 20, did not have drugs in her system at the time of her death...

Dille, who has received both a death certificate and a supplemental certificate from Ohio, said the cause of death was listed as “undetermined homicidal violence.”

There are a couple of "Justice for Nichole" Facebook pages where allegations are made and names are named, but I'm not sure exactly what the story is. Might be an interesting one for a sleuth to dig into.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back