Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed By Sheri Coleman's Family

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
The attorneys representing Sheri Coleman's family filed a lawsuit to prevent Christopher Coleman from being able to profit from her death in any way or selling anything the family believes to be Sheri Coleman's from their marriage. They want to protect her interests. All funds acquired from this lawsuit are to be used for building a memorial to Sheri Coleman and her sons.

Please post everything pertaining to the lawsuit here:

Documents in Coleman case to be turned over to lawyers

More than 400 pages of Joyce Meyer Ministries documents filed in a wrongful death lawsuit against former employee Christopher Coleman will be released Thursday to plaintiff's lawyers, but not to the public.

The documents were at the Monroe County Circuit Clerk's office Tuesday being copied. They will be placed under seal until 2 p.m. Thursday, when they are set to be released to Jack Carey, the attorney who represents murder victim Sheri Coleman's mother and brother in the wrongful death lawsuit filed against Christopher Coleman.

"Discovery is no longer filed with the court," Carey explained Tuesday. "The court files just became too voluminous to handle all those documents. The documents are only entered into the court record if there's a dispute."

Carey and Enrico Mirabelli, Sheri Coleman's cousin and Carey's co-counsel, said Monday they would not have a "wholesale distribution" of the documents.

Coleman, the former personal bodyguard of televangelist Joyce Meyer, faces three counts of first-degree murder in the ligature strangulations of his 31-year-old wife and their sons, Gavin, 9, and Garrett, 11. They were found dead May 5 in their beds at their Columbia home.

Joyce Meyer Ministries was named as a "respondent in discovery" which means the ministry isn't a party to the lawsuit, but must provide the information Carey and Mirabelli need to investigate their claim against Coleman.

more at http://www.bnd.com/breaking_news/story/852884.html

So let me get this straight...The family's lawyers will get the documents which JMM asked for them not to get, but since they don't have to be filed then they cannot release them to the public. Right? I am confused now! LOL

I suppose this is something JMM is quite concerned with at this point:

If the lawyers' investigation were to reveal Joyce Meyer Ministries liable in any way for the deaths of Sheri, Garett or Gavin Coleman, the lawyers could name the ministry as a defendant in the lawsuit, Beyler said.

more at http://www.bnd.com/breaking_news/story/852884.html[/quote]BBM

Is this saying we'll get to see them on Thursday afternoon???
Not unless you're the plaintiff's attorney!

"More than 400 pages of Joyce Meyer Ministries documents filed in a wrongful death lawsuit against former employee Christopher Coleman will be released Thursday to plaintiff's lawyers, but not to the public."

Not unless you're the plaintiff's attorney!

"More than 400 pages of Joyce Meyer Ministries documents filed in a wrongful death lawsuit against former employee Christopher Coleman will be released Thursday to plaintiff's lawyers, but not to the public."

Hmmmm... I AM looking for employment. I'm sure they need help with this case. Think I can get hired by Thursday afternoon? :wink:

Did the judge ORDER it can't be released to the public? When the civil suit attorneys gained access to the house, they weren't shy about sharing the info with the public on that day!!!

Hmmmm... I AM looking for employment. I'm sure they need help with this case. Think I can get hired by Thursday afternoon? :wink:

Did the judge ORDER it can't be released to the public? When the civil suit attorneys gained access to the house, they weren't shy about sharing the info with the public on that day!!!
Good question! But the way it's worded, and because JMM was complaining about confidentiality, I think it might just be the attorneys. Oh, and I wish you could get a job there by Thursday! :) MOO

Hello m'dear CassiusSleuth, good to see you hanging out here,

You asked whether RC has turned over his documents.

According to this article dated 7/21/09:

>>An attorney representing Sheri Coleman’s family in a wrongful death case said he still hasn’t received discovery documents from Ronald Coleman, the father of Christopher Coleman.

&#8220;I&#8217;ll decide what to do after I get the discovery matter handled with Joyce Meyer Ministries,&#8221; said Jack Carey, the lawyer representing Sheri Coleman&#8217;s family.<<

and

>>Carey said on Monday that Ronald Coleman had not provided the requested information.<<

MY GOSH! This just makes me so unhappy! The Bible says to obey the laws of the land and yet neither one of these ministries is even handing a dog a bone.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...AB332DEA9EB839AE86257612000C302A?OpenDocument

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/st...orneys-ask-joyce-meyer-for-more-coleman-info/

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/st-louis-crime-beat/files/2009/08/joycemeyerquestions2.pdf (interrogatories) - 28 days to answer from "date of service"-since no certificate of service is attached, as is customary, one can use the fax date noted at the top of each page of August 13 and assume answers due on September 10

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/st-louis-crime-beat/files/2009/08/090813-press-release.pdf (Joyce Meyer Ministry statement)

I have to quote a poster on the Dispatch site - because they've said it so succinctly:

I think the most pertinent information from the interrogatories that would be beneficial in a suit are:
(a)Did JMM conduct an investigation of threats received
(b)Identify the individual(s)who was/were responsible for the investigation of the threat(s)
(c) Identify the individual(s)who was/were responsible for making the threats
(d)Describe what action(s) were taken to investigate the threat(s)

Because had the original threat sent by CC to JM on her JMM computer (stating Sheri and the boys would die in their sleep) been thoroughly and properly investigated, It would have been traced back to CC and Sheri and the boys deaths may have been prevented. IMO

Thanks to Foreveryoung1 - As I've stated from the beginning, this is the very heart of the matter. CC answered to someone. . .there should be no problem clearing this up IF the investigation was done. . .

It's my theory that the threats were not followed up on by the CPD because Justin Barlow was a friend and neighbor, and perhaps a small town police force might think that Barlow would either find the threatener (he took steps in that direction with the camera), or that Barlow would personally tell Chris, "Look, Chris, we know who the threatener is, and if he wises up he won't do it again and everything will just blow over. We don't know why the threatener did what he did, Chris, but the police are hoping that whatever problems the guy has, that he takes it to his pastor or maybe a counselor. Do we understand each other, pal?"

It's not at all far-fetched to think that CPD wouldn't want to arrest a guy for making threats against his own family, for reasons that male cops might in some small way sympathize with: she might have been a *****, maybe she was going to take the money and the kids, she gets the gold mine, he gets the shaft, maybe he went a little overboard but women can really push buttons--that sort of thing.

Arrest a guy for being a little over the top in a domestic dispute--and cut off the family income? Let the wolf in at the door? That would be crueler than arresting CC!

No, let's handle this one intramurally. Coleman's a security guy, he knows he can't do this kind of thing and keep getting away with it. We'll just put a little fear in him, and his domestic troubles will either go away (problem solved!) or end up in divorce court (not a CPD problem!).

And then over at JMM things are locked up tight and the CPD doesn't have an "in" there. Let them figure it out. They've got the wherewithal and the money. The CPD has other, better things to do with its time.

A little departmental hubris, preoccupation, and men protecting other men. Justin Barlow will handle it, he knows Chris. Chris is just a nebbish, the cops think he's about as lethal as a cap pistol. They've seen his type all the time. Nothing they can't handle should he get out of line. But Barlow will put him straight, lives right by him, Coleman won't get away with anything. CPD isn't like them there big-city police departments, we use psychology, we're smarter than that, we're like Andy Griffith. Everbody's friends here, some just need a good talking to is all. We're on top of it.

Can't wait to hear more details about how the CPD handled this. I'm willing to predict it was handled just as I described.

VCD, although your theory on how CC was handled might very well be the case, it sickens me to think about it in light of all the domestic violence going on in this country right now.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/st-louis-crime-beat/files/2009/08/090813-press-release.pdf

The continued use of this legal discovery procedure to harass this Ministry and to perpetuate this
fishing expedition is unfair and unwarranted.

What do they mean by the above statement? The family attorneys are trying to gather information and I don't see any harassment involved in normal civil suit proceedings. This statement reminds me of a little bit of the way George and Cindy Anthony acted in their depos and I wouldn't expect such a statement from a ministry.

Well, I wanted to give JMM the benefit of the doubt and now look at what has been released! I wish this case was still in the headlines. Seems like more than just CC want to sweep it under the rug. :-(

And now CC gets FOUR attorneys? Two paid by the taxpayers and two paid by daddy? And where does daddy's money come from? You got it! Tithes and donations!

This is making me very ill. I hope more will stand up and take notice of this case again!

I just read the pdf files of the threats. I have to say that I don't blame the family for suing JMM. If they would have turned over the threats to LE, this may never have happened to Sheri and the boys.

Haven't been around in a while - checking in and finding the worst. But we knew it, our spirits were grieving. How could they "cover up" something so dangerous? I still think that CC "has" something on JMM that tempted her to look the other way. It would have been incredibly easy for CC to "capture the moments" of behaviors that would be considered out of character for JM and her closest associates. I know that I've heard comments spoken in "private" meetings that are a part of the reason I left a church I'd attended for 9 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back