The Adoption Papers

mfcmom

Reaction score
Morning all. Any links discussing whether adoption papers were found and why Sheriff was looking for them?

This is not a paper on adoption, but an article on how and why Byrd adopted Justin.
Justin was adopted by Bryd and girlfriend (later wife #2) They served probation for this since it was not legal til later.

http://pnj.com/section/special

I think, IMO ,that the police were searching for the adoption papers of LPatrick Jr when he was adopted by Joe Poff. When he was adopted, he got a new social security number as Patrick Richmond Poff. Then when he changed his name back to Leonard Patrick Gonzalez he took back the social security number assigned to that name. I know this for fact as my sister was married to him at the time and he thought he was so smart because then he no longer had a criminal record.

I have just heard on PNJ and HLN that they were looking for adoption papers from the first safe which tells me the perps got it open and why did they want them?

How could you possibly take back a social security number that is impossible when I adopted my kids their names changed but not their social security numbers. That's not true whatever her told her was bs. He may have bought one. Are you sure? That can't be right. Unless he wanted the kids SS#s to obtain fraudulent ID's as the kids being disabled wouldn't be able to work, or get credit etc., do you think he was that smart?

This is not a paper on adoption, but an article on how and why Byrd adopted Justin.
Justin was adopted by Bryd and girlfriend (later wife #2) They served probation for this since it was not legal til later.

They committed also committed insurance fraud as well if they did not pay cash for the hospital bill.That all is very fishy .What they did was highly illegal and they get probation.Just does not seem right to me they both belonged in a jail cell IMO.If I was a sibling to Justin I would be very angry at them for stealing my brother.

What is MOST strange about the illegal adoption case is that BB only offered a LOAN! A LOAN? So the mother was supposed to pay him back? For what? I'm not buying into this BB was a "saint" story.

What is MOST strange about the illegal adoption case is that BB only offered a LOAN! A LOAN? So the mother was supposed to pay him back? For what? I'm not buying into this BB was a "saint" story.

Me Either. I
do not think it was a loan, probably was cash and just said loan to make it less illegal.I think that was 2 babies total he bought because I read first child was left with the dad at the port.

How could you possibly take back a social security number that is impossible when I adopted my kids their names changed but not their social security numbers. That's not true whatever her told her was bs. He may have bought one. Are you sure? That can't be right. Unless he wanted the kids SS#s to obtain fraudulent ID's as the kids being disabled wouldn't be able to work, or get credit etc., do you think he was that smart?

I don;t know the circumstances of Poff/Gonzales getting his old ss# back, but my husband and I adopted three children. WIth Our first child that we adopted, I was allowed to change her ss# BUT I had to take up to the office proof that our child was removed and was in danger in order to have ss# changed . These stricter rules were implemented after 911. That was in 2004. Then in 2006 we adopted twins. Well I asked about changing their ss# and was told no. Well then I received a new ss# card for my twin daughter. When I called ans asked why they changed it after being told they couldn;t the woman at the office told me it was because they had ss# that were consecutive and since they both share the exact same first, middle and last initials, they had to change them. LOL SO they have totally different numbers.

So to answer your question, you CAN change their ss# when they are adopted. It just depends on the circumstances.

I had this posted in another thread but it fits better here.

there goes the intensive & extensive background checking that the Atty spoke of them having to go through. How could the people who should know not know or be able to find out about this little tidbit and allow several adoptions after this incident?

Makes me wonder how "private" some of the other adoptions are. Private adoptions aren't cheap. The other thing that comes to mind is if these were "private" adoptions and the children were old enough to be part of the system because of the birth mother, DCF would be looking to see what happened to them because they dropped of the radar.

I don;t know the circumstances of Poff/Gonzales getting his old ss# back, but my husband and I adopted three children. WIth Our first child that we adopted, I was allowed to change her ss# BUT I had to take up to the office proof that our child was removed and was in danger in order to have ss# changed . These stricter rules were implemented after 911. That was in 2004. Then in 2006 we adopted twins. Well I asked about changing their ss# and was told no. Well then I received a new ss# card for my twin daughter. When I called ans asked why they changed it after being told they couldn;t the woman at the office told me it was because they had ss# that were consecutive and since they both share the exact same first, middle and last initials, they had to change them. LOL SO they have totally different numbers.

So to answer your question, you CAN change their ss# when they are adopted. It just depends on the circumstances.

I don't know about having to get it back, it could just be a matter of him going back to using that number that was previously issued before the new one was given. For all we knew he could have been using the old number long before the name change back to LPGjr so it wouldn't raise any red flags.

I'm not sure where to put this comment. Ashley is Melanie's biological daughter, and I would think that Byrd Billings adopted her when he and Melanie got married. (guessing) Ashley looks more like Byrd to me than she does Melanie. Does anyone else think so? I think it is the eyes and the mouth.

I mean no harm or criticism by asking this. I am just curious.

I'm moving this post as it seems to fit better here:

Has anyone come across any information concerning JR's daughter (whom he insists was "abducted" by family members). I remember reading a post a couple of threads back from someone purporting to be the child's grandmother or other relative. Was this verifiable in any way?

I'm wondering if this child might have been placed in foster care or even possibly adopted at some point. I see no reason to think that she was in the Billings home at the time of the murders but might she have ever been there? I'm wondering if MB ever assisted other families with placements. This is common practice for special needs adoptive families in my experience.

I recall seeing a photo of a lovely little girl on JRs MS page, identified as B. I'm really going out on a limb here and wondering if the little girl might have some special need ie. spectrum disorder which would have precipitated her needing to be in a specialized placement, possibly with her maternal family's agreement and support.

This is the only possible reason I can see that LE are searching for "adoption papers" if it is true that the other children in the home were legally adopted as has been reported. Please remember that this is totally conjecture on my part. Being a special needs adoption advocate, my thoughts always go to the children. If someone were to break into my home, they would find locked files of confidential and sensitive adoption related documents connected to the hundreds of children I have assisted over the years. I'm wondering if MB might have had the same sort of files.

JR seemed VERY committed and driven to finding that child. It's clear to me that the man is delusional and perseverative in his actions. It just seems to me that it's possible that he believed that his daughter B (or her paperwork) might have passed through the Billings' home. This is strictly IMO.

And once again, I have to say that I find it almost impossible to believe that the Billings would have been approved to adopt after being convicted of adoption fraud. This would be unheard of with adoption laws being as they are. I provided links to these federal laws in the original threads. If anyone would like them again, just let me know.

I'm moving this post as it seems to fit better here:

Has anyone come across any information concerning JR's daughter (whom he insists was "abducted" by family members). I remember reading a post a couple of threads back from someone purporting to be the child's grandmother or other relative. Was this verifiable in any way?

I'm wondering if this child might have been placed in foster care or even possibly adopted at some point. I see no reason to think that she was in the Billings home at the time of the murders but might she have ever been there? I'm wondering if MB ever assisted other families with placements. This is common practice for special needs adoptive families in my experience.

I recall seeing a photo of a lovely little girl on JRs MS page, identified as B. I'm really going out on a limb here and wondering if the little girl might have some special need ie. spectrum disorder which would have precipitated her needing to be in a specialized placement, possibly with her maternal family's agreement and support.

This is the only possible reason I can see that LE are searching for "adoption papers" if it is true that the other children in the home were legally adopted as has been reported. Please remember that this is totally conjecture on my part. Being a special needs adoption advocate, my thoughts always go to the children. If someone were to break into my home, they would find locked files of confidential and sensitive adoption related documents connected to the hundreds of children I have assisted over the years. I'm wondering if MB might have had the same sort of files.

JR seemed VERY committed and driven to finding that child. It's clear to me that the man is delusional and perseverative in his actions. It just seems to me that it's possible that he believed that his daughter B (or her paperwork) might have passed through the Billings' home. This is strictly IMO.

And once again, I have to say that I find it almost impossible to believe that the Billings would have been approved to adopt after being convicted of adoption fraud. This would be unheard of with adoption laws being as they are. I provided links to these federal laws in the original threads. If anyone would like them again, just let me know.

Hello everyone! This is Jennifer Herkel again. Just since we are in forum format let me repeat what I said earlier. LPatrick Jr harrassed my family via cyberspace ie..Myspace, and phone calls since April. It increased in intensity and we went to the local law enforcement in Sarasota. We spoke to a detective with the initials TT. He got out a case law book and stated "See there are only 2 pages of laws on cyber crimes, on DUI there are over 9" He also proceed to say that we just need to shut the computer off and not engage LP JR. Everything he says on MYSpace is lies and was used to try and get full custody of his daughter by circumventing the courts. Bella was not in hiding or abducted. She is here in South Florida. Enrolled in public school for years.
We did not know the Billings and have no connection to them. I grieve for them. LPatrick was always plotting and planning. He had a horrible temper. He is diablolical. This is so sickening and there are so many victims besides the Billings. Good luck on all your sleuthing.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86771&page=2
(Post #31)

I was told the same thing, when i adopted my son. I asked about changing the ssn. they said no, i still worry about it but i guess nothing i can do. bio mom has his original birth cert and original social security card

This is a bit delicate, but it's something I hadn't noticed before regarding the adoption case with the second wife. The divorce was modified to not only include the $300 per month in support payments, but also restricted visitation rights to "supervised" with BB present and only in the state of Florida (wife #2 had moved to Texas). The court also ordered the payment of half of the uncovered costs of counseling for the minor child.
http://www.escambiaclerk.com/xml_or_1b.asp?uinstr=1995256221
View the document.

Swika

I have looked all over that website. Perhaps you did not understand my question?? I have found alot of cases concerning Bud aka Byrd Billings. As I said, I did not find the arrest record for the adoption fraud. Did you? If so, please provide a link to the arrest record, not to the website. I know it very well.

If not, can anyone suggest why there is no arrest record? Since the case took place in Escambia county, I would think it should be there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back