Wealthy Fla. Couple Not Killed by Contract Hit, Say Police

RiverPirate

Reaction score
From CBS News.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (CBS/AP) For two weeks now, rumors have swirled that the murdered wealthy Fla. family, who had numerous adopted special needs children, were the victims of a contract hit, possibly tied to shady business connections. We felt those rumors were not solid enough to report.

Questions were also asked about how the Billings made their fortune. The answer to that is still not clear.

But Florida police have now unequivicably stated they are not investigating the murder of Byrd and Melinda Billings as a contract hit.

Sheriff's spokesman Ted Roy said Tuesday that investigators only considered a contract hit as a possibility for “a fleeting second during the initial phase of the investigation.”

“Could it still be a motive? I guess it could, but someone else other than the investigators assigned to the Billings case will have to investigate it because investigators working the Billings case sure don't believe so,” he said.

Investigators also said they did not anticipate further arrests.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/22/crimesider/entry5179371.shtml

Not sure what to think here. More smoke and mirrors?
The thing that stuck out to me about the contract hit angle was the pay thrown out there for the hit. They said the price for the hit was between $20,000 and $50,000. That's a lot of wiggle room for when it comes time to collect.

Alot of times, we have to take the quotes from LE as very specific...does not mean that the FBI or other agencies are not looking into it being a "contract hit". I think that the Sheriff's office is only investigating the perps parts in a robbery and murder. Jr. may have been the only one that knew that a killing would actually take place, so it could have been a hit payment that was only divided one way...to Jr. JMO

The robbery motive seems to be gaining steam (as the leaks eliminate other motives). I have to wonder what in the world would possess 8 people to collectively commit murder. We have heard (through the rumor mill) there was a second safe containing approximately $100,000.00. Even thinking from a criminal's standpoint, dividing $100,000.00 by eight people is not enough of a payoff for the risk of being caught and charged with First Degree Murder (x2). Yet, we know of people who kill for the "fun" of it, for a paltry amount, or for a victim's tennis shoes. I am aware it happens. However, I am wondering what pie-in-the-sky amount was bandied about amongst these perps to make them overcome their morals (heh) and consider killing two people. Surely, in the perp's minds, it was not for only $100,000.00.

However, I am wondering what pie-in-the-sky amount was bandied about amongst these perps to make them overcome their morals (heh) and consider killing two people. Surely, in the perp's minds, it was not for only $100,000.00.

I'm guessing there was no number bandied around amongst all of them. I'm back to square one in thinking something happened that lead Jr. to start shooting. Maybe even he knew he was gonna do it ahead of time. Now, we have 8 people piled up in jail for murder. Maybe more to come. By the time they get through lying and snitching on each other, we may never find out the real truth.

I don't believe it was a professional hit by no means. If someone pays someone to kill someone in the amount of 20,000 to 50,000 then to me that is a contract hit. When they say they don't think there will be any more arrests, what about the person that was suppose to disable the alarm and surveillence systems? Who was going to pay $20,000 to $50,000 for the Billings to be murdered? There is still at least one more person that needs to be arrested.IMO

What does $20,000 to $50,000 mean? I've never been involved in a "Hit." But, you can bet your you know what that if I am, I'm gonna know how much money I owe anybody that's crazy enough to do it. Set price with bonuses?

I may be wrong, but I feel that CBS got some of this story incorrect - and I think there will be more arrests. JMO.

I don't believe this was a "hit" put out by anyone other than LG Jr. and his cohorts. First of all, hits are not done by 8 people. A "professional" hit is carried out by 1-2 people max. The more people in on it the more chance someone is going to talk. Then, look at the money LG Jr. claims they were going to be paid....what does that come out to per person? It's paltry. I think LG is just throwing out anything and everything to try and save his own a$$ at this point.

I do believe the motive is predominantly robbery. I think there were probably all kinds of rumors around town about how much money the Billings' may have had and then add to that the idea that they were involved in the whole copyrighting their kids names/maritime loan thingie and I'm sure there were lots of people who thought there was mucho dinero to be found stashed in that house.

I think there is a possibility that LG Jr. went there with the intention of killing them (and there may be more to his reasoning for that than just robbery) but he told everyone else that they were just going to go in, get the cash/safes/etc and split. When they got there the rest of them were in for a big surprise.

JMHO of course.

Did I miss something? Last I heard Sheriff Morgan said there would be at least one more arrest. Has he come out and said "no more arrests"? I looked through the media link and read the latest articles and didn't see where he actually said that. Did I miss it?

ETA - DUH...If I would have looked in the right place I would have found it! Nevermind!:bang::crazy:

2008 CA 000891 - case number for Escambia County records.
http://www.escambiaclerk.com/xml/xml.asp?ucase_id=50193819

Not sure if the direct links work. Can anyone make sense of this open case? An "injunction" involving Hispanic American Auto Sales. I can't decipher the legal proceduring.

basically she was fighting to keep him from doing business as usual and get info about business funds and such, then he counter claimed and both of the suits were dismissed. She was part owner and I guess the other two weren't giving full disclosure regarding the business.

If this is the car lot that was on Mobile Hwy that's been closed for awhile now.

I have to say that it fascinates me that 8-9 (?) people were involved in this for a safe holding $100,000. This makes no sense. I know money is the root of many a murder, but to have so many be part of this plan like this makes no sense. For "maybe" $10,000 a piece? And, such an elaborate "plan". These people thought that there was more, much more. Why would they have thought that and go to such extremes? Seriously, it doesn't add up. Unless (here's a shocker) they are the most ridiculous group of people *ever* to have walked this earth. Still, with that said...

Why murder BB and MB, though. The buck rumors may have been inflated, but this sounds much more personal than robbery to me. Forgive the pun, but overkill. Why????

I have to say that it fascinates me that 8-9 (?) people were involved in this for a safe holding $100,000. This makes no sense. I know money is the root of many a murder, but to have so many be part of this plan like this makes no sense. For "maybe" $10,000 a piece? And, such an elaborate "plan". These people thought that there was more, much more. Why would they have thought that and go to such extremes? Seriously, it doesn't add up. Unless (here's a shocker) they are the most ridiculous group of people *ever* to have walked this earth. Still, with that said...

Why murder BB and MB, though. The buck rumors may have been inflated, but this sounds much more personal than robbery to me. Forgive the pun, but overkill. Why????

I'm thinking $10,000 might be a whole lot of money for most of this bunch. Maybe not enough to go through with a murder but certainly enough for a robbery.

I'm thinking $10,000 might be a whole lot of money for most of this bunch. Maybe not enough to go through with a murder but certainly enough for a robbery.

Yes, for a robbery. I agree, hence part of my original post above. But, why murder BB and MB? Especially with all the children within the home? Is it possible that murder was the first objective (perhaps not known by others part of robbery) with the "goods" as an excuse/payment? There is something not quite sitting right here. I'm not given anyone an out here (at all!), but it sounds very personal to me.

I am starting to believe that the original intent was a robbery than Mr. Macho man LPG who appears to be a sociopath just decided to impress his freinds that he was a big man and flipped out and shot them both. IMO it was a complete control thing and his personality all along fits this pattern.

I am starting to believe that the original intent was a robbery than Mr. Macho man LPG who appears to be a sociopath just decided to impress his freinds that he was a big man and flipped out and shot them both. IMO it was a complete control thing and his personality all along fits this pattern.

To me, that doesn't pass the smell test.

It seems to me the plan was much more than a simple robbery; too many people involved.

To me, that doesn't pass the smell test.

It seems to me the plan was much more than a simple robbery; too many people involved.

not only too many people but too much time invested in preparation & practice for a simple robbery.

Is anyone else bothered by this statement from Sheriff Morgan???

On "The Early Show" Wednesday, Escambia County, Fla. Sheriff David Morgan said, "We never at any time discounted ... the possibility ... that this could have, in fact, been a conspiracy and it could have also been a contract killing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/19/earlyshow/main5251515.shtml

I know he is quite popular now. But how can he justify making such a statement?

I think there could be several reasons that the Sheriff made this announcement. I am not surprised at all. . . but I also think this case started a domino effect that will result in future arrests. We will see. . .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back