SOLVED WA - Marsi Belecz, 12, Spokane, 5 Aug 1985

mommytaxi4

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone will take a look at this. I was 10 when this happened an she was my best friend. They dont say much in the articals I am posting here but maybe someone will see something I dont. Thank you so much.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=WrYSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r_kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3111,1822142&dq=marsi+belecz

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=d_gRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U-8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4830,5584332&dq=marsi+belecz

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=evgRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U-8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5935,7550648&dq=marsi+belecz

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YbYSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r_kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4155,3630909&dq=marsi+belecz

I would love any input you all have. This is my first time posting here I hope I put this in the right place.

Welcome. I am very sadened that you lost your best friend at such a young age.

May I ask a question? In the article it states that she ran away. Did she say anything to you about running away or being angry at her parents or meeting someone somewhere?

Hi and welcome to Websleuths!

I am sorry you lost your friend at such a young age. Do you know why she ran away from home? Had she ever done that before? Are there any witnesses besides her mother who saw her that night?

Yes I do know why she ran away .... I was with her that day. She babysat us the night before my mom payed her and we went shopping thats when she got her new dress and some other things. When we got back to her house one of her sisters asked her for the $1 she owed her .well she did not have it. and they got in an arguement. So we left her house and walked down to the pool. Where we talked to two boys. One said something to the effect of we are going to be downtown by one of the bridges you can meet us there if you would like.
Then we left there and went to my house. she asked my mother for the $1 to pay her sister back and she did not have it. So we went outside and she said she was going downtown and not to tell her mother. She did not want to go home because of the arguement. I begged her not to go. I asked her over and over again to please stay at my house. I had this gut feeling that she would die that night and I told her that. Sorry I am fighting tears here. After she left my house I called her mom to tell her what Marsi was doing. I think she took pictures out looking for her that night.

Welcome, and I am sorry about your friend. I lost my friend too and it was also 1985. We where much older though.

I can imagine how hard it was on you and to wonder all of these years who did this horrible thing to your friend.

What became of her family? Did you keep in contact? I wonder why there is nothing else when I googled. Could they have caught the person over the years?

Huggs

I am sorry for your loss Sleuthster. I have keep in contact over the years with here family. Her parents have both passed away and are now with her. As for someone being cought for this I have talked to det. on the case many times and all they say is there are no new leads. The hardest part is the not knowing who did this and if they will ever face justice.

Did the detectives have you give descriptions of the two boys? I am surprised they didn't try or weren't able to track these two boys down. Do you remember what they looked like or did they give you their names? Have police looked into them and cleared them? Did you ever see them again?

I don't think much about it anymore because they caught the person almost immediately and he has been in jail for 24 years. I am sure that it is very difficult for you because they never caught the person who did this to your friend. Did you ever see the boys again after that day? Where they around your friends age?

I hope you can find some closure. I think Laura asked some good questions also.

I gave the police the boys names back in 1985. The boys were older then us maybe 17-18 years old.
I did see one of them after this happened. I was standing on the corner to cross the street and he was a passenger in a car that drove past. I remember looking him right in the eyes and him looking right in mine and the fear I felt. (It was like he had seen a ghost when he looked at me) After the car had went down the road I ran home and told my parents.
The police came to my school with photo books and I was able to point out the one I seen in the car. I dont know for sure if anything was ever done about it or not but I sure hope there was.
You see I have always felt that they or one of them had something to do with this. Although I cant prove it. I really want to thank you for asking these questions. It has got me thinking of things I have not thought of in a long time. And Thats just what I needed. I will be calling the det. later on this week to see what I can find out.

This is a delicate question and I really don't want to ask it, but I feel a need to. Given the differences in age, and the fact the boys wanted you both to meet them downtown, was your friend assualted, sexually or otherwise? If so, did they ever take a DNA sample? Did they give her a good autopsy to find out exactly what the cause of death was, or did they just lay her to rest without one? Any idea what the cause of death was determined as, if she did have one? Also, I am curious as to where exactly they wanted you to meet them. You said downtown, do you mean somewhere near or around Riverfront Park area or somewhere else?

Thank you, and I am sorry for asking a question I know will be painful for you.

ooooh, the fact two older boys ask a 12 yr old girl to come hang out with them and she winds up dead is VERY suspicious. You would think LE would have taken a hard, hard look at these boys.

LauraBean's question is very valid. If it was the 2 boys who were responsible for her death I find it hard to believe it was not a sexually motivated crime.

Laura I love your name...Then again it is my name too... To answer the question yes she was sexualy assaulted and her cause of death was from multiple stab wonds ( from what I was told 30-60 stab wonds) it was by far over kill. And thats what makes me think it was someone young or their first time. They did collect dna but I am not sure if the have run it through any data base. And when I said downtown I did mean riverfront park. when I got older and went to the park years later I think they must have been talking about one of bridges that is close to the carosel or the clock... But then again I cant remember the name of the bridge they said.

It sounds to me as though those boys wanted to have sex with the two of you, and maybe at first they weren't planning to rape your friend and you, but she probably struggled and fought them. Were there defensive wounds on her, before the knife even came out? I wonder if they said lets do it, she told them no, I'm telling I'm calling the cops, and they maybe freaked out completely. Where did her body end up? It wasn't Riverfront park, right? Which makes me think they wouldn't have carried her all that way. She may have run from them and they caught up with her near where her body was found.

Girls who are around 12 to 14 have such a scary time in the world...I mean their bodies look older then they really are and age wise, they still have that innocence going for them. My daughter is within this age frame and she is so oblivious when boys flirt with her. My heart breaks with what this little one had to suffer.

I would think even tho this was 1985 that a rape kit would have been done and kept in storage. I would really urge you MT4 to call the detective who is currently assigned to Marsi's case. Sometimes it just takes a little nudge to get a cold case active again!!

M ~

Marsi was found about a mile to a mile an a half away from the park in like a junk car lot. The address was 811 E. Pacific.
It was in the direction of what she would have been taking to get home. We belive eather a car was involved (and this item came off in the car), or a suviner was taken. I cant say what that was but there was something missing from her when they found her. And its not something that she could have lost along the way.And it was not worth anything. She was killed where her body was found.
Yes she had defensive wonds she fought whoever this was with all her might.
I am going to be calling the det. first thing Monday morning to see if I can get some awnsers or at least get the ball rolling. If that dont do anything I am thinking about running an add in the paper there asking for any info someone might have.

Marsi was found about a mile to a mile an a half away from the park in like a junk car lot. The address was 811 E. Pacific.
It was in the direction of what she would have been taking to get home. We belive eather a car was involved (and this item came off in the car), or a suviner was taken. I cant say what that was but there was something missing from her when they found her. And its not something that she could have lost along the way.And it was not worth anything. She was killed where her body was found.
Yes she had defensive wonds she fought whoever this was with all her might.
I am going to be calling the det. first thing Monday morning to see if I can get some awnsers or at least get the ball rolling. If that dont do anything I am thinking about running an add in the paper there asking for any info someone might have.

In regards to running an ad, you might try contacting a reporter and seeing if they will do an article on Marsi. I just read an article about Misty Copsey that was in The News Tribune. The reporter did an awesome job and was able to draw interest back to the case. Also a reporter may be able to get a hold of more info which could help jar someone's memory!

M ~

It would be a good idea to track down any rape kit done in 1985. Then, once located, work on getting results placed into the government's CODIS (Combined DNA Data Index System).

Whoever did this did not lead a clean life and matching those in the system who were living in Spokane at that time might pay off. If you want help getting this done, please let me know. Marsi was my second cousin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back