"We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
Reaction score
Lee Anthony's Lawyer Exits Case
Attorney Says Casey Anthony's Brother No Longer Needs Representation
POSTED: 6:24 am EDT July 30, 2009
UPDATED: 1:03 pm EDT July 31, 2009

http://www.wesh.com/news/20222439/detail.html

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The attorney of Lee Anthony said he is exiting the case as his "representation is no longer necessary."

Anthony's sister Casey Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of her daughter, Caylee. After eight hours of deposition, Tom Luka said Anthony "spilled it all and nothing was different."

As a result of his testimony, Luka said Lee Anthony has what's called "use immunity" from prosecution, though he said Anthony never did anything to warrant being charged in connection with the case.

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The attorney of Lee Anthony said he is exiting the case as his "representation is no longer necessary."

Anthony's sister Casey Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of her daughter, Caylee. After eight hours of deposition, Tom Luka said Anthony "spilled it all and nothing was different."

As a result of his testimony, Luka said Lee Anthony has what's called "use immunity" from prosecution, though he said Anthony never did anything to warrant being charged in connection with the case.

This is very interesting, to say the least. Do we know if the other two A's are getting immunity, as well?

Lee seemed to act on directives from C & G, IMO. He went looking for KC prior to the 911 calls on Cindys request, he came to the house that night at Georges request, and he went to get KC's stuff after being told where KC's things were (someone had to tell them where TL lived or he would have gone there earlier at Cindys request). Could be that his immunity is a tactical move.

Quote:

BBM

If that statement is correct, then LA is going to need representation. Nothing was different? Last we heard of LA giving testimony didn't he say he believed everything his sister says?

Hi Pink - just read the articles in WS media links thread regarding this.

Isn't this big? Lee no longer needs his attorney. "Lee spills all." That may be sensationalized but I wondered what he said?

I don't blame him if he finally decided to fess up to what he knows and after this is over, try to go on with his altered life.

WB, Pink~ Thanks for starting this thread or I may have missed it. (Those were the good old days, eh?) I used to keep up with the case, but decided to take a long break after they found Caylee and finally laid her to rest. I pop in from time to time to catch up.

I think it is news that Lee's attorney resigned, but if Lee has "use immunity" (still have not clarified exactly what that means) then he doesn't need counsel. He can say whatever he wants evidently and not worry about prosecution. It was a stupid move on the SA's part to give any of the A fam any type of immunity, imo.

I have heard of "limited immunity" which means they can't use what you say against you, but if it leads to evidence then they are free to use the evidence against you (if I have that right). I have to think that "use immunity" is similar.

I don't think Lee really had anything to spill. He is no different than the rest of the clan in covering up this child's murder and trying to get Casey an acquittal, imo. The defense is going to go after JG with their guns blazing and with the A fam providing the ammo.

i thought it said in then news thread that Lee was going to make a statement after he was done today.....

*Lee's attorney, told reporters that his client would make a statement after the deposition is completed*
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...ees-deposition-not-finished-wesh-reports.html

but i looked at all the video links and didnt see one....did i miss it?...or did he not say anthing at the end of the day :)

He may have been too busy doing cartwheels on the front lawn of the courthouse to speak to the press. ;)

Seriously, I haven't heard or seen anything about him speaking afterwards, but I could have missed it.

above.....i just posted a link to what i read....

:seeya::seeya::seeya::seeya::seeya::seeya: Luka!

Hope the check cashed!

i thought it said in then news thread that Lee was going to make a statement after he was done today.....

*Lee's attorney, told reporters that his client would make a statement after the deposition is completed*
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...ees-deposition-not-finished-wesh-reports.html

but i looked at all the video links and didnt see one....did i miss it?...or did he not say anthing at the end of the day :)

I just did the same thing and didn't find it either. :waitasec: They must have changed their minds.

WB, Pink~ Thanks for starting this thread or I may have missed it. (Those were the good old days, eh?) I used to keep up with the case, but decided to take a long break after they found Caylee and finally laid her to rest. I pop in from time to time to catch up.

I think it is news that Lee's attorney resigned, but if Lee has "use immunity" (still have not clarified exactly what that means) then he doesn't need counsel. He can say whatever he wants evidently and not worry about prosecution. It was a stupid move on the SA's part to give any of the A fam any type of immunity, imo.

I have heard of "limited immunity" which means they can't use what you say against you, but if it leads to evidence then they are free to use the evidence against you (if I have that right). I have to think that "use immunity" is similar.

I don't think Lee really had anything to spill. He is no different than the rest of the clan in covering up this child's murder and trying to get Casey an acquittal, imo. The defense is going to go after JG with their guns blazing and with the A fam providing the ammo.

As I delved deeper (before seeing this) into the immunity definition, I began to see that my common way to think of immunity (ie one receives immunity - tells all to include any prior involvement/knowledge and in exchange is free to go on with his life) is not accurate. Like you say, there are different types of immunity. If one is subpeona..(sp) they receive an automatic immunity of sorts but it doesn't necessarily protect them from future prosecution. As is usual with Law related stuff, the explanation gets more confusing as one tries to make sense of it - ha!

My heart leaped at the thought of Lee deciding enough is enough and telling the truth as it was told to him by KC. Figure the odds.

The defense better have concrete clad evidence of JG's guilt (like a video tape or something) cuz LE and everybody else has already covered JG. Besides, I thought you couldn't defend someone by accusing somebody else?

As I delved deeper (before seeing this) into the immunity definition, I began to see that my common way to think of immunity (ie one receives immunity - tells all to include any prior involvement/knowledge and in exchange is free to go on with his life) is not accurate. Like you say, there are different types of immunity. If one is subpeona..(sp) they receive an automatic immunity of sorts but it doesn't necessarily protect them from future prosecution. As is usual with Law related stuff, the explanation gets more confusing as one tries to make sense of it - ha!

My heart leaped at the thought of Lee deciding enough is enough and telling the truth as it was told to him by KC. Figure the odds.

The defense better have concrete clad evidence of JG's guilt (like a video tape or something) cuz LE and everybody else has already covered JG. Besides, I thought you couldn't defend someone by accusing somebody else?

I stuggle to understand "use immunity" too. My understanding is that if one is subpoenaed, then use immunity is automatic. So, What would follow, is CA, GA, & LA will all have "use immunity." Not sure why it keeps getting reported that LA now has "immunity", when it's the same type of "use immunity" that CA would have, and GA also. ?

Quote:

Now this is a depo I really want to see. It may even flip this case. If LA admits to something that implicates KC game over.

Oh,I really hope you are wrong SS.I don't think it protects him from perjury.If he doesn't tell the truth in the depo ,and the SA can prove it,he could still be charged with perjury.It only protects him from using his own words against him if he participated in a cover up,and confesses during the depo.That's my take on it.
I am hoping LA finally sees the writing on the wall and decided to tell what he knows. It might force KC to plead guilty in exchange for LWOP.
If LA deleted the files or history in KC's computer the night she was arrested,I think it was because he thought he was protecting KC from embarrassment,not from murder.Maybe he had been told by KC he needed to delete everything to protect Caylee.Who knows. Of course ,as time went on he had to wise up.Maybe he's willing to come forward now.I sure hope so.
I hope we get to see some transcripts.

Use immunity

Definition
: immunity granted to a witness in a criminal case that prevents the use of the witness's compelled testimony against that witness in a criminal prosecution
Transactional and use immunity are granted to preserve the constitutional protection against self-incrimination. The states grant either form of this immunity, while the federal government grants only use immunity. A witness with use immunity may still be prosecuted, but only based on evidence not gathered from the protected testimony.

2 : a usu. statutory prohibition that excludes specific documents or information from discovery

http://research.lawyers.com/glossary/use-immunity.html

Okay, so his lawyer made a deal with prosecutors that whatever he told during his deposition would not be used to charge him with a criminal act?

IIRC, there was a time media was stating Lee could face charges and around that time there was a doc dump with the video of the wire tap AL consented to do of his meeting with Lee. That was the last I noticed Lee around, he seemed to drop right off the radar.

It appeared to me that LE were onto him in figuring were Caylee was. That wire tap imo showed that Lee was doing his best to find out the truth but was coming to the conclusion that KC did it. I doubt KC told him or CA anything outright. Although possibly he confronted KC about it and something she said confirmed it for him.

Lee knows his sister well and when that article of KC's friends mentioned that specific childhood area they would hangout and bury their pets.. imo Lee figured it out. Then he probably told CA about it and she had DC go out there. I'm just guessing at this point that the 'use immunity' is all about how DC came to be in the vicinty of where Caylee was found.

I'm sorta figuring, since he received the 'use immunity' that his transcript is definately going to be requested.

Okay, so his lawyer made a deal with prosecutors that whatever he told during his deposition would not be used to charge him with a criminal act?

My understanding is that Lee can't be prosecuted because of evidence gathered as a result of his "use" protected testimony either.

Perhaps a legal eagle could clear this up for us,but my understanding is that HIS OWN WORDS cannot be used against him.The depo cannot be used as a confession.I think if they have other strong eveidence ,they could still prosecute,but the depo ,itself would not be used.
Does that make sense?
For instance [hypothetically],if they have his fingerprints on KC's computer,he was seen with this computer at 1am by TL,at 1am documents were erased on the computer to cover for KC.Even if he says he did that in the depo they can't use his confession ,but they can still use his fingerprints and TL as a witness to prosecute,if they wanted to. I think :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff