GUILTY VA - Gerard Curran, 45, Virginia Beach, 28 July 2010

lizzybeth

Reaction score
This is local for me. One thing that seemed strange to me is this man's wife said he checked in every night, that he lived his life like clockwork. ...he called her on Tuesday and said he was going jogging...

A lot of things have crossed my mind concerning this. ...the wife thinks, he had some type of medical incident and passed out. It seems if that's the case he would have been found along the jogging path though.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_...rst_landing_state_park_investigation_20090731

The story seems to have been updated at the original link. The jogger's body has been found.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_...rst_landing_state_park_investigation_20090731

Missing jogger's body found

Updated: Saturday, 01 Aug 2009, 12:17 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 31 Jul 2009, 3:44 PM EDT

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Virginia Beach Police have found the body of a man missing since Tuesday. WAVY.com has learned Gerard Curran's body was found around 11:30am Saturday off a trial inside First Landing State Park. Homicide detectives are headed to the scene, but are still calling the case a "death investigation".

Police say the man, identified as 45-year-old Gerard Curran, last made contact with his family on Tuesday at around 7 p.m. Curran's wife notified police of her husband's disappearance on Thursday.

. . .

Rest in peace.

Thank you. I missed the news this evening and didn't know he had been found.

This is horrible. I just moved from Virginia Beach last month. Does anyone know what Naval station he worked for. DH used to be stationed at Little Creek. So I was wondering if he knew him. But dh is out of town fishing. So, I can't ask him

I live in va beach too, I hadn't heard that he had been found yet either . Rest in peace and my prayers to his family .

There are a lot of rumors in the comment section of the original link. I wonder how far off the trail he was found? Also someone explained that the reason his wife didn't report him missing sooner was because they didn't live together. That's why he checked in most, if not every, night.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/autopsy-positively-identifies-body-found-state-park-va-beach

© August 3, 2009

VIRGINIA BEACH

An autopsy today positively identified a body found in First Landing State Park after authorities searched several days for a missing sailor.

Police said that the body found Saturday morning in a ravine near one of the park's main hiking trails is that of Gerard Curran, 45.

When Curran last spoke with his family Tuesday evening, everything appeared to be normal, police said.

Then he disappeared. His family reported him missing Thursday, and police found his vehicle near First Landing State Park's Trail Center.

Search-and-rescue teams mobilized to find Curran, using canines, foot patrols and the Police Department's Mounted Unit, Long said.

Curran's wife was at First Landing State Park when the body was found around 11:30 a.m., said park manager Bruce Widener. She had been helping with the search.

His family joined detectives at the scene, near the park's Trail Center, Widener said. Media were not allowed near the site.

Officials declined to comment on the body's condition and said the case is being investigated as a suicide, but Long said foul play is not suspected.

Curran, of the 600 block of Piney Branch Drive, was stationed at Norfolk, Long said. He was also a father, Widener said.

Curran was an electronic technician chief petty officer and joined the Navy in 1991. He has been stationed in Florida and South Korea and was a recipient of the Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal.

First Landing State Park encompasses 2,888 acres and has 19 miles of trails, according to its Web site. Widener declined to say which trail the body was found near.

Park rangers closed First Landing on Saturday morning, then reopened most areas in the afternoon. Bikers, dog-walkers and joggers used the area as usual, and signs advertised a party and wedding there.

All areas were reopened by about 4:45 p.m., once the body was removed, Widener said.

Wow, I just assumed that this man's death had been ruled suicide. I'm curious to find out why this Bricker guy murdered Curran. I also wonder why he's been charged with second degree murder. They seemed to have known each other for quite some time.

http://hamptonroads.com/node/566862

More than a year after a Navy chief petty officer was found dead at First Landing State Park, police have made an arrest in connection with the case.
Police arrested Paul Stephen Bricker, 25, of the 4200 block of Flowerfield Road in Norfolk, and charged him with second-degree murder Thursday afternoon. He’s being held in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center and has a bond hearing scheduled for Tuesday.

Curran was found with a stab wound to the chest, and Bricker has admitted to stabbing him, according to a bail checklist filed in General District Court.

From August 2012:

http://wtkr.com/2012/08/06/sailor-s...th-of-navy-chief-in-first-landing-state-park/

A Navy sailor has been sentenced to five years in prison for the death of Navy Chief Gerard Curran in First Landing State Park in 2009. The sentence was part of a plea deal in which Circuit Court Judge H. Thomas Padrick sentenced Bricker to ten years in prison with five years suspended, leaving five years to serve...

Bricker was questioned, and then arrested, by authorities on August 26, 2010. Bricker told investigators that Curran wanted to commit suicide but wanted to ensure his family would receive his government benefits after his death. He asked Bricker to assist in his death... The investigation established that there was no animosity between Curran and Bricker, nor any monetary benefit to Bricker for the crime. At no point did Bricker seek help for Curran or report his suicidal thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back