CA - Rayanna Nail, 10, dies of drug OD, Klamath, 31 July 2009

Oblio

Reaction score
http://www.triplicate.com/20090805106625/News/Local-News/Manslaughter-charge-filed

And then the initial article about the girl's death:
http://www.triplicate.com/20090804106607/News/Local-News/Girl-10-dies-of-overdose
Rayanna’s mother, Kristina Nail, gave an account of what happened. She said she needed potatoes for dinner, so she sent Rayanna over to grab them from her grandmother’s residence just a couple trailers away.
When Rayanna returned with the potatoes she said, “Grandma is all soma’d out again and there are pills everywhere,” Kristina Nail said.

Oh, by the way, mother (who knowing her daughter's and mother's habits sent her over unattended and unexpected by grandma, then didn't act when child tells her there are pills all over the place) blames Grandma ENTIRELY for the child's death.

I don't get. I feel that grandma deserves a slap on the wrist. She was prescribed very, very powerful pain meds after a surgery. She was not in charge of watching the child, she was alone, at home. No reason to expect her granddaughter to show up unattended. The mother sent her there, then didn't act or get alarmed after the child mentioned the pills, then showed the classic rash that goes along with narcotic overdose. Mother has not been charged with anything.

WTF was going on in that house that had a 10 year old overdosing TWICE and faking a THIRD o/d WITHIN NINE MONTHS???? Mom needs to wake up.
If the child lived with Granma I could see charging her BUT SHE DIDNT! Granma should NOT be in jail,imo,Mom should!

I think this is an injustice so far. The grandma did not expect the child to come over, so the pills that she had been prescribed were on the coffee table. Had she known this child was coming over, she probably would have locked up the pills. I think the mom's judgment is clouded by grief and her need to deny her responsibility in any of this for sending her daughter over unannounced to the house when she knew the child had a history of stealing pills and taking them.

And, also, this child was 10 not 4. She knew she was stealing her grandma's medicine, and she had to have known it was wrong. She shouldn't have been allowed in her grandma's house if she couldn't keep her hands off the medicine.

If Grandma has a dependency on meds and may not be "with it" enough to lock up her meds, I don't think the girl should have been sent there to pick up potatoes. Mom could have run over there herself? If Grandma leaves her meds lying around and the little girl had already OD'ed, that would be the last place I'd send her. JMO.

Rest in peace Rayanna.

Exactly Boys Mum! Its like sending an alcoholic into a liquor store!

wtf was going on in that house that had a 10 year old overdosing twice and faking a third o/d within nine months???? Mom needs to wake up.if the child lived with granma i could see charging her but she didnt! Granma should not be in jail,imo,mom should!

bbm

thank you!!

WTF was going on in that house that had a 10 year old overdosing TWICE and faking a THIRD o/d WITHIN NINE MONTHS???? Mom needs to wake up.
If the child lived with Granma I could see charging her BUT SHE DIDNT! Granma should NOT be in jail,imo,Mom should!

I agree! The child obviously should have been in an inpatient psychiatric setting for help. It's obvious she was a danger to herself and her mother couldn't control that!
I don't think they should be charging the grandmother. The mother knew her daughter's overdose problem (3 times at the age of 10!!??) and sent her over to the grandmother's knowing that the grandmother had pills and would be out of it.
I think it's odd for a 10year old to use the term "grandma is all soma'd out again"
The mother should be charged, she's the one who sent the child over there. It's no secret in that family that the grandmother had pills.
The mother should have had her daughter in an inpatient psychiatric setting, if she couldn't keep her away from harming herself. That's serious.

I agree with others who say the mother was negligent. Who in their right mind would send her child over there, knowing there were pills, if this child had a history of taking them and overdosing?? This is insanity to me!! And a TEN-year-old, not only taking the pills, but overdosing????? That child must have been highly troubled.

I'm going to have to think on this one.

But Good Lord. I'm shaking my head.

I said in another case that once you start peeling the onion, it usually just gets uglier and uglier.

Although, there are a few facts presented in this case within the articles posted (thank you for posting them) I have the feeling it's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's giving me a headache. The headache started when it was reported that a 10 yr old who is now deceased used the phrase "G-ma is all soma'ed out". I'm speechless.

Yes! The Grandma is all soma'd out again quote is so disturbing!

I'm in a small community so I don't think anybody local is going to write the editor on this one, but if you all do, it might put enough heat on the authorities to charge the mother. She said enough to the paper to warrant an arrest, IMO.

We had another local case where a 19 yr old girl died after she was ejected from a car she was riding in, the driver was drunk. He got a very fair sentence, six years I think, but her family has been unrelenting in their letters to the editor. Some how they missed the fact that their daughter, an adult, made the decision to ride in a vehicle unrestrained with a drunk driver. She wasn't coerced, held against will, etc. There was no malice on his part, and much of his charge had to do with previous convictions, meaning he was held to a much tighter standard of what is intoxicated. As I've heard around town, his BAL wasn't very high at all and the accident had more to do with being young and stupid. Everyone else in the car just had minor to moderate injuries, of course, they all wore seat belts. They seem to want him to rot in hell for his part, though. (we're talking a kid, he was only 23 or 24 at the time)

I also feel that the mother is more responsible than the G-ma. Did she call her Mom and say "I'm sending your grandaughter over to borrow a couple of potatoes, OK?" Had she done that she would have known if her mother was "with-it" enough to give the girl the potatoes and send her safely on her way. So Mom holds more blame than Grandma. IMOO

As far as the situation with the girl having a previous OD history, I do think it's hard to secure inpatient psych care for kids (or anyone) these days. BUT, in this case also, the mother had the knowledge of her young daughter's "condition" and still sent her to Grandma's alone. If the little girl knows when Grandma is "soma-d out", it's obvious she has knowledge of Grandma's drug situation. If grandma has been "soma-d out" before and this little girl knew this then the mom had to know it also. If Grandma wants to take her meds in the confines of her own home, I don't see how she can be charged. I think the mom should take responsibility for her action of sending Rayanna over to Grandma's?

My kids wouldn't know a "soma coma" from death- they'd have run home and begged me to call 911.

I'm going to have to think on this one.

But Good Lord. I'm shaking my head.

I said in another case that once you start peeling the onion, it usually just gets uglier and uglier.

Although, there are a few facts presented in this case within the articles posted (thank you for posting them) I have the feeling it's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's giving me a headache. The headache started when it was reported that a 10 yr old who is now deceased used the phrase "G-ma is all soma'ed out". I'm speechless.

G-ma is all soma'ed out is a child that has grown up with PRIMARY caregivers who have prescription drugs as a major focus in their lives. Either mom shares the same habits but keeps her meds locked up or G-ma was the primary caregiver to this child for sometime.

Growing up with a drug addict it occurs to me that:

a. drugs are common enough that all parties involved know and use the slang versions of drugs

b. child is clearly comfortable speaking in that manner around the adults in her life. I was completely aware of everything my mother was doing but she would scold me if I was using the terminology.

c. child is aware and familiar enough with the drugs to know which ones the "good" ones are... I knew which pills were which even though they were mixed together in one bottle (kept in the purse, can't carry 12 different pill bottles around) because when F'ed up enough to not want to get up she would send me to bring her a (insert pill of choice)

If they cannot prove that G-ma gave this child meds I cannot see any type of legal responsibility falling on her shoulders. If mom is clean then the granddaughter spent a lot of time taking care of drugged out grandma, but I am guessing this is multi-generational. Mom's judgement coincides with a pill popper too. moo

ETA- also a ten year old on oxycontin is not going to appear to have a poison oak, I find that part of the story fishy, among other parts like Gma was conveniently passed out and remembers nothing (probably true) but mom has the whole story including card games and providing nursing care (mom of the year) and mom went to the trailer and cleaned up all the pills before realizing her daughter had ODed and died? Very convenient.....

http://www.triplicate.com/20090805106625/News/Local-News/Manslaughter-charge-filed

And then the initial article about the girl's death:
http://www.triplicate.com/20090804106607/News/Local-News/Girl-10-dies-of-overdose

Oh, by the way, mother (who knowing her daughter's and mother's habits sent her over unattended and unexpected by grandma, then didn't act when child tells her there are pills all over the place) blames Grandma ENTIRELY for the child's death.

I don't get. I feel that grandma deserves a slap on the wrist. She was prescribed very, very powerful pain meds after a surgery. She was not in charge of watching the child, she was alone, at home. No reason to expect her granddaughter to show up unattended. The mother sent her there, then didn't act or get alarmed after the child mentioned the pills, then showed the classic rash that goes along with narcotic overdose. Mother has not been charged with anything.

If the mother knew that this child had od' not once but twice or even threee times before and then the daughter comes home and mentions that grandma is all soma'd out, MY first response would have been to grill that child to see if she took any of those pills. DId that mother do that? Or just assume that this child, who had a history of doing so, had walked away and not touched them. I bleieve the mother was neglectful in this situation, NOT the grandma.The grandma was in her own home. Not like she came to the daughter and granddaughter;s home and got soma's out and left the pills out all over. THEN in that case scenario, grandma would be at fault. I would also have to find out what is going on in this family to make a 10 year old take this many pills and od that many times?

Here's something really hinky about this case:
She [the mother] said she went to Lane’s [the grandma's] home later Thursday evening [the night Rayanna died] after Rayanna had come home.
“When I went up there she had pills everywhere, all over the floor and she was completely out of it,” Kristina Nail said.
At that point, she said she cleaned the pills up and locked them away, “but it was already too late.”
(from the original article link)

So the info that the pills were scattered everywhere isn't corroborated by anyone except the mother. Apparently when LE got there, the pills must have been locked up. So, do they really know that the oxycontin was obtained at the grandma's house and not right there in the mom's house??

G-ma is all soma'ed out is a child that has grown up with PRIMARY caregivers who have prescription drugs as a major focus in their lives. Either mom shares the same habits but keeps her meds locked up or G-ma was the primary caregiver to this child for sometime.

Growing up with a drug addict it occurs to me that:

a. drugs are common enough that all parties involved know and use the slang versions of drugs

b. child is clearly comfortable speaking in that manner around the adults in her life. I was completely aware of everything my mother was doing but she would scold me if I was using the terminology.

c. child is aware and familiar enough with the drugs to know which ones the "good" ones are... I knew which pills were which even though they were mixed together in one bottle (kept in the purse, can't carry 12 different pill bottles around) because when F'ed up enough to not want to get up she would send me to bring her a (insert pill of choice)

If they cannot prove that G-ma gave this child meds I cannot see any type of legal responsibility falling on her shoulders. If mom is clean then the granddaughter spent a lot of time taking care of drugged out grandma, but I am guessing this is multi-generational. Mom's judgement coincides with a pill popper too. moo

ETA- also a ten year old on oxycontin is not going to appear to have a poison oak, I find that part of the story fishy, among other parts like Gma was conveniently passed out and remembers nothing (probably true) but mom has the whole story including card games and providing nursing care (mom of the year) and mom went to the trailer and cleaned up all the pills before realizing her daughter had ODed and died? Very convenient.....

Thank you ImpatientRH, you illustrated a little more of the iceberg. Still gives me a headache to think of what kind of environment this child lived in prior to her death.

I agree! The child obviously should have been in an inpatient psychiatric setting for help. It's obvious she was a danger to herself and her mother couldn't control that!
I don't think they should be charging the grandmother. The mother knew her daughter's overdose problem (3 times at the age of 10!!??) and sent her over to the grandmother's knowing that the grandmother had pills and would be out of it.
I think it's odd for a 10year old to use the term "grandma is all soma'd out again"
The mother should be charged, she's the one who sent the child over there. It's no secret in that family that the grandmother had pills.
The mother should have had her daughter in an inpatient psychiatric setting, if she couldn't keep her away from harming herself. That's serious.

Bolded by me.
It is odd. That little girl using a drug-culture lingo speaks volumes about the environment she lives in. A history of drug OD at 10 years old is a result of that.
On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if those weren't the daughter's words but the mother's.

Bolded by me.
It is odd. That little girl using a drug-culture lingo speaks volumes about the environment she lives in. A history of drug OD at 10 years old is a result of that.
On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if those weren't the daughter's words but the mother's.

The article said CPS had been involved, and she was in the special education department at school where they described her as "a deeply troubled girl".

There is more to this story if they choose to investigate.

Another example of a case that if tried by a PD Gma will probably end up taking a deal and if she had money for a good defense attorney would probably be cleared. Daughter is throwing her right under the bus and Gma may feel guilty and just let it roll over her, but if not she needs to be throwing some responsibility mom's way. How bout mom knew there were pills at Gma's and shouldn't be sending her daughter unsupervised, or at a minimum shouldn't have called Gma so the child was supervised. How bout daughter mentioned pills everywhere, did mom check her for pills? Same day daughter becomes sick and mom puts her to bed?

"I am not this child's guardian, she does not live with me, I did not invite her on this occassion, I was not informed she was coming, I was not aware she was in my home, it was her mother that she mentioned her access to pills, it was her mother that she sought out when she became ill, it was her mother who had the responsibility and opportunity to handle this differently."

Wow, imo, that mother wanted that child dead and some one better keep an eye on the other child still with her until he's an adult...... if not longer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back