Ten Year Olds Can Hunt

I think that the mentor program sounds good BUT personally feel that mentors and youngsters should take a lengthy safety course first. Even if a mentor has taken the class before, it doesn't hurt to re-educate one's self in matters of safety.

I don't mind lowering the age to 10 for going out with another adult. I too would like to see a safety course added to the requirement. As Boyz_Mum points out - that's just never a bad idea.

Lots of adults can teach their own children safety on their own, but then that totallly depends on the adult. Not all adults have enough sense to do that. You'd think that a permit of some sort and a safety class would be the very best reasoning for kids to hunt. Even kids over a certain age in Texas have to get their own fishing permit.

Pennsylvania's Mentored Youth program does not have a minimum age up to age 12, at which time youth's must obtain a license (safety course required.) The mentored youths are allowed to harvest groundhogs, squirrels, coyotes and antlered deer (in season) and spring gobblers. The youths may not carry a weapon to or from the area of hunting and must be in a fixed place within arms reach of the mentor. A lot of rules and regs. but personally, I think if the kids are with a responsible adult (must be over 21,) it's good. We started our kids out at about age 4 with a .22 rifle cut down to size and they are all active sportsmen today. ~Redneck Pennsylvanian. I love my Bible, guns and apple pie. :crazy:

Pennsylvania's Mentored Youth program does not have a minimum age up to age 12, at which time youth's must obtain a license (safety course required.) The mentored youths are allowed to harvest groundhogs, squirrels, coyotes and antlered deer (in season) and spring gobblers. The youths may not carry a weapon to or from the area of hunting and must be in a fixed place within arms reach of the mentor. A lot of rules and regs. but personally, I think if the kids are with a responsible adult (must be over 21,) it's good. We started our kids out at about age 4 with a .22 rifle cut down to size and they are all active sportsmen today. ~Redneck Pennsylvanian. I love my Bible, guns and apple pie. :crazy:

Right there with you'ns Lili! :D

and the 5yo's ride mini dirt bikes and drive scaled down 4 wheelers. I know a few 7yo's that like to snowmobile on private property.
These are mostly farm kids.

Yup. I learned to drive a tractor at the ripe old age of 7--and that was late. My brother started learning at 3! We both learned what to do w/ guns when we were about 4-5.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back