The ransom: intended to match JR's bonus?

Ransom author's intent with $118,000 amount

• Intended to match AND intended to maximize.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Intended to match AND didn't intend to maximize.

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Didn't intend to match AND intended to maximize.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't intend to match AND didn't intend to maximize.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
I believe that the ransom note amount is peculiar because it matches JR's bonus, and seems to be less than JR could've afforded. The question is, what do you believe was the intent of the ransom note author?

JR received a bonus of $118,117 several months before the murder. Did the ransom note author intend to match the bonus JR received that year? Yes or No?

JR could've afforded more than $118,000 in ransom, according to many.
Did the ransom note author ever intend to maximize the ransom amount to what he/she thought JR could afford? Yes or No?

Yes and Yes. Intended to match AND intended to maximize.
Yes and No. Intended to match AND did not intend to maximize.
No and Yes. Did not intend to match AND intended to maximize.
No and No. Did not intend to match AND did not intend to maximize.

Hi Hotyh

what do you mean by intended to maximize?
I don't understand that phrasing, could ya expand on that premise?

I made my vote.

As for what I think the writer's intent was, that's an interesting story.

The 118k was such a demented amount that it had to be an ingenue who hadn't the first clue about genuine ransoms and used the first amount they alit upon or someone who thought 118K was a lot of money or someone who needed attention. Badly.

Of course, the ultimate RDI theory would be that this was what the Rams thought they could afford to lose when they thought the ersatz kidnapping was a runner (ie. Before the snow, frost, time etc stepped in to make things difficult). Personally, I don't subscribe to this but it's a theory....

I made my vote.

As for what I think the writer's intent was, that's an interesting story.

Help me out here, SD.

What amount do you think would've been chosen if the RN author had intended to maximize the ransom to what he/she thought JR could afford?

Well if the SFF were aware of the mark of AGs 1 Billion in sales, then of course they could have demanded many times that sum and even over time if JBR's body was not left at the Ramsey home
But if they were aware of how much JR had cash accesible within 24 hours then .... a figure around 100k would be reasonable.

also the volume of money requested required one attache case and one paper bag .... a demand of 250k would have required two paper bags and two briefcases .... may have changed the type of delivery the SFF were able to coordinate?

Well the RN reflects two ways to go

First choice= A SFF and if this didn't go then second choice an inside job with an amount that someone close would and could find out...And with John Ramsey we don't know if he didn't brag alittle about his bonus cause his company was doing great....

Hi Hotyh

what do you mean by intended to maximize?
I don't understand that phrasing, could ya expand on that premise?

Whether it was a ransom kidnapper or someone trying to look like a ransom kidnapper, the ransoming process generally tends to involve maximizing, or tailoring, the ransom amount according to the payer's means.

The question is whether or not the ransom note author ever intended to maximize a ransom amount in terms of JR's means. Regardless of whether or not the ransom kidnapping was a fake.

If "Ransom" was an inspiration, there was a scene where Mel Gibson asks the FBI guy--"why only $2M? Don't they know I'm worth a lot more?" FBI guy answers--that's smart--they know you have it.

Considering the entrepreneur article that was left marked up, $118,000 could have been his bonus. Supposedly check stubs were left in easy view. If they wanted quick cash, $100,000 or so wouldn't be as hard to come up with as $2M, and they may have thought it was low enough that JR would get it without calling the police. If the perp was into burglaries, where he had to fence things, $118,000 windfall would be like hitting the lottery.

Then again, maybe the perp was law-abiding, and planned to pay taxes to IRS, wanting to net $100,000. (just kidding).

Ransoms are usually six figure even amounts. The FBI, creating a 'fake' kidnapping, chose $100,000:

"In March 2008, the FBI staged a kidnapping of the woman by picking her up from her residence, placing extortionate calls to the family members (one of which knew of the fake kidnapping) and releasing her after the family paid what they believed was $100,000 in ransom money. A few days after the fake kidnapping, the inmate contacted Gonzalez and paid her $50,000 which was represented as Lopez’s cut of the ransom money."

to clarify is this $118k after taxes? or before taxes?

what would be the amount JR could immediately cash out after taxes? don't most banks require an advance notification when withdrawing cash amounts of greater than $10k?

what would be the amount JR could immediately cash out after taxes? don't most banks require an advance notification when withdrawing cash amounts of greater than $10k?

Don't know, but I think before taxes....it might have gone into an IRA-type account--something where perhaps taxes are deferred?

Yes, banks require some kind of documentation when withdrawing large amounts of funds....shows you how bright the nitwit perp was. The cash transfer was arranged via an account in Georgia....they were just waiting for the phone call. Can you imagine the BPD in action if there would have been a phone call?

Excellent. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Excellent. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

obviously asking for say a half million would take more time.

perhaps Amy's rapist thought that $118k was an amount JR could immediately cash out, and the most he could immediately cash out.

obviously asking for say a half million would take more time.

You misunderstand. Unless the writer was a complete dunce, it's likely they never intended to collect in the first place.

You really shouldn't give me set-ups like that. (LOL)

No less than a million, flat-out.

Could be. Considering that the FBI would've been right there for the $118,000, I can't imagine JR going to the bank at all. Maybe he would write a check and the FBI would handle it?

"The FBI prepared the ten thousand $20 bills that made up the $200,000 demanded. To identify the money, all the bills were photographed with a high-speed Recordak machine to create a microfilm later to be used to prepare a list of serial numbers."

Could be. Considering that the FBI would've been right there for the $118,000, I can't imagine JR going to the bank at all.

Me neither. But then, I don't recall any attempt being made to go.

Maybe he would write a check and the FBI would handle it?

There's an idea.

I'm curious: what are we supposing here, if anything?

"The FBI prepared the ten thousand $20 bills that made up the $200,000 demanded. To identify the money, all the bills were photographed with a high-speed Recordak machine to create a microfilm later to be used to prepare a list of serial numbers."

I take it this is from the FBI set-up you were talking about?

Me neither. But then, I don't recall any attempt being made to go.

There's an idea.

I'm curious: what are we supposing here, if anything?

I take it this is from the FBI set-up you were talking about?

Nah. This was from the guy who jumped out of the airplane.

I was supposing that the FBI would probably have an interest in any actual ransom money collected. We know the FBI was there. Did they have comments relating to ransom money preparation?

Nah. This was from the guy who jumped out of the airplane.

You mean D.B. Cooper?

I was supposing that the FBI would probably have an interest in any actual ransom money collected.

That's a good point.

We know the FBI was there. Did they have comments relating to ransom money preparation?

If they did, I don't know anything about it. The only comments they had were about the odd amount, and that was in a different context.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back