MS MS - Madeline Ponds, 17, Columbus, 20 Nov 1986

2sisters

Reaction score
ponds_madeline.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/ponds_madeline.html

This sounds more like a runaway situation so far so I looked for minor name changes.
I did a websearch on some variations of the name and found a couple search results for Terri Ponds and Terry Ponds. I did not find anything on a Magdeline Ponds or Maggy Ponds. (I did not search and SS databases though, just used a standard meta search engine.)

A Terri Ponds is mentioned in this article.
http://www.crn.com/sections/testcenter/tcinside.jhtml?SectionID=3&ArticleID=37092

No one seems to have mentioned if the lunch her mother had brought was also missing or not.

If there was a bit more on this case I would say it might make a good case to post in the cold case section.

Good Lord..how stupid of me. I saw it and thought, nov.dec. jan. feb...DUH!

Pay no attention to me!:confused:

DECEMBER 17, 2010 12:01:00 PM

Following up on an urban legend, Lowndes County Sheriff's deputies are planning to drain a well in hopes of finding a girl who has been missing more than 24 years.

Madeline "Midge" Teresa Ponds, of Lowndes County, has been missing since Nov. 20, 1986, when she was 17. She was last seen alone at PJ's One-Stop, a state-line convenience store on Highway 182.

Investigators believe her body may have been hidden inside a well behind the store, which has been renamed Country Village. The capped well is now under a barbecue pit inside an addition to the building.

more here

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=9269

If her body was in that well this whole time, that was one quick murder/robbery. They said less than 5 minutes passed between her mother dropping off dinner and the next customer came in. So the perp drove in, came into the store, cased it out, killed her (perhaps after a struggle tho no struggle is mentioned) found the well, carried and put her in the well, stole the money out of the register, drove off..all within 5 minutes.

WHy do some think this is a runaway situation when all her belongings were there?

Plus I have to add, what the hell are the cops talking about that they didn't have the resources "back then" to check the well on the property??? What is that? So they're saying they did not search obvious places for this girl? How many resources does it take to look down a well? Something wrong here..

Ohio case reminds region of its missing children

As Cleveland, Ohio, families welcome home decade-lost daughters this week, north Mississippi families still ache and wonder the fate of at least nine children.

[snip]

Madeline Teresa “Midge” Ponds of Columbus went missing when she was 17. She should be 44 with a March 11 birthday.

Ponds, with bright red hair and green eyes, was working at PJ’s One-Stop on Highway 82 East in November 1986. A customer found the store unattended.

An investigation revealed some $600 missing from the store and Ponds’ belongings left behind. She was wearing an orange and blue sweater, blue jeans and high-top tennis shoes.

Another case where the missing was suspected of being a runaway, but all of her belongings were left behind?

Has there been any update regarding the well that was going to be drained? I also don't believe she was a runaway, I doubt she would leave in the middle of her shift without her belongings.

Did anyone ever investigate her boyfriend? It seems like I remember something being mentioned. Anyone know a name?

Is it possible that she was a victim of the redhead murders?

Madeline Teresa Ponds
  • madeline_teresa_ponds_1.jpg
  • ponds_madeline2.jpg
  • madeline_teresa_ponds_3.jpg
Madeline, circa 1986; Age-progression to age 44 (circa 2013)

• Missing Since11/20/1986
  • Missing FromColumbus, Mississippi
  • ClassificationNon-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth03/11/1969 (50)
  • Age17 years old
  • Height and Weight5'1, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA bright orange and blue sweater, straight-legged blue jeans and white high-top sneakers.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Red/blonde hair, green eyes. Madeline's ears are pierced and she has a pencil lead mark at the base of her neck. Her nickname is Midge.
Details of Disappearance
Madeline was last seen working alone at her job at PJ's One-Stop, a convenience store on southbound Highway 82 in Columbus, Mississippi on November 20, 1986.

Her mother brought her some dinner, then returned to their residence. Less than five minutes later, a customer discovered that the store was unattended and contacted authorities.

Approximately $600 was missing from the cash register. Madeline's personal belongings were still inside the business and her car was parked in the store's lot with her purse, wallet, keys and hairbrush. She has never been heard from again.

Madeline's mother says it is uncharacteristic of her to leave without taking her hairbrush or telling someone where she was going. She believes Madeline was abducted and says her daughter would not have gone without a fight.

Madeline was a high school senior at the time of her disappearance and planned to join the armed forces after graduation. She lived in Alabama with her family.

Both Mississippi and Alabama police are investigating her case, which remains

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back