Identified! FL - Crystal River, Male skeletal remains, Aug'09 - Douglas Gregory

Sleuthster

Verified - friend of Wendy Huggy
Reaction score
Website
cynthiaparrott.blogspot.com
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=111747&catid=8

Crystal River, Florida --Deputies are investigating the discovery of skeletal remains off W. Fort Island Trail near N. Seabreeze Point.
The sheriff's office said dispatchers received a call from someone claiming to have found human skeletal remains shortly after 3:30 p.m.
Crime scene technicians are processing the area for any evidence or clues, the sheriff's office said.
The victim's identity, cause and manner of death are pending autopsy and further investigation.

Citrus County Sheriff's Office

More info

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/nature_coast/Skeletal_remains_found_in_Cit

Skeletal remains found
in Citrus County

Updated: Monday, 17 Aug 2009, 9:13 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 17 Aug 2009, 9:13 PM EDT
CRYSTAL RIVER - Citrus County detectives are trying to identify a body found earlier today in Crystal River. A passerby saw the human skeletal remains and called deputies.
The discovery was made just before 4 p.m. on West Fort Island Trail, near the intersection of North Seabreeze Point.
An autopsy is being done to figure out a cause of death. Officers have not said if they suspect foul play.

This was published Friday, 28 August 2009
http://searchcitrus.com/citrus-coun...ws/Crystal-River-Skeletal-Remains-Update.html
Preliminary results from the medical examiner's office confirm that the decedent is a male of unknown age. The subject had had extensive dental work done and may have undergone heart surgery.

The logo on the man's extra-large, Fruit of the Loom T-shirt is shown in the photo attached. Also recovered at the site were a baseball cap with the words "Worldwide Sportsman" and a fish embroidered on it, size 12 Rockport-brand shoes and a Timex watch with a woven cloth band.

See Namus for images of his things.

Namus link: https://identifyus.org/cases/5828
Date found August 17, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Estimated age Adult
Minimum age 35 years
Maximum age 55 years
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) 0, Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 70, Estimated
Probable year of death 2009
Address 1 500 feet east of 14060 Ft. Island Trail
Address 2
City Crystal River
State Florida
Zip code 34429
County Citrus
Circumstances of death Unidentified remains found in a wooded area.
size L- tan tee shirt w/ picture of blue & yellow hot air balloon with "ALBEQUERQUE" above it; tan pants, green socks, green baseball type hat w/ Worldwide Sportsman and a picture of a fish (anteriorly)on it
black "Rockport" shoes which the label states 10-11 1/2. The shoe measured 13 inches
dark coth band watch which had "100 ft water restistant" on the face

Dentals available (he had lost some teeth antemortem), DNA submitted.

Donjeta's namus link returns this message "404 Error - Page Not Found" and there is no white UID from Florida in August 2009 in Namus currently.

Can we assume he has been identified?

I submitted this as a potential match for my missing former neighbor Robert Beich NM NM - Robert Ralph Beich, 46, Albuquerque, 19 July 1990 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community over 2 years ago through crimestoppers! They responded that they submited it to le back then, and then I followed up afew times with only one response asking if I wanted LE's phone number because all they do is submit the info. WTH? Anyways, i would really like to know if this doe was identified also.

--- On Fri, 5/18/12, NamUs UP Support <support@identifyus.org> wrote:

Subject: Re: Namus link: https://identifyus.org/cases/5828
To: <redacted>
Date: Friday, May 18, 2012, 8:50 AM

Hi XXXX,

Cases are deleted for multiple reasons such as being duplicates of other cases entered. If a case is identified it is marked as identified and usually not deleted but just hidden from public view. There is no record in NamUs of the case being marked as identified before it was deleted. You may be able to get more information about the case by contacting the Medical Examiner's Office in the jurisdiction the case is from.

Thank you,
NamUs Team

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone still have the ME contact for this case?

It is strange that cases are allowed to be "deleted" from NamUs.

So, the lesson learned here is that if the NamUs message we receive is PERMISSION ERROR - with a FOUND message, that the person was identified/located, but if it is 404 Error - PAGE NOT FOUND... that the case has been deleted.

Which means.... what? So confused.

--- On Fri, 5/18/12, NamUs UP Support <support@identifyus.org> wrote:

Subject: Re: Namus link: https://identifyus.org/cases/5828
Date: Friday, May 18, 2012, 8:50 AM

Hi XXXX,

Cases are deleted for multiple reasons such as being duplicates of other cases entered. If a case is identified it is marked as identified and usually not deleted but just hidden from public view. There is no record in NamUs of the case being marked as identified before it was deleted. You may be able to get more information about the case by contacting the Medical Examiner's Office in the jurisdiction the case is from.

Thank you,
NamUs Team

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone still have the ME contact for this case?

It is strange that cases are allowed to be "deleted" from NamUs.

So, the lesson learned here is that if the NamUs message we receive is PERMISSION ERROR - with a FOUND message, that the person was identified/located, but if it is 404 Error - PAGE NOT FOUND... that the case has been deleted.

Which means.... what? So confused.

Well they make sense to me. Not!:waitasec:

I think this is the email for the local ME............from what I found it looks like he/she serves several counties.........Michael.Hensley@marioncountyfl.org

I think this is the email for the local ME............from what I found it looks like he/she serves several counties.........Michael.Hensley@marioncountyfl.org

Thank you so much mommame. I've sent along an email to Mr. Hensley.

--- On Wed, 5/23/12, Hensley, Michael <Michael.Hensley@marioncountyfl.org> wrote:

From: Hensley, Michael <Michael.Hensley@marioncountyfl.org>
Subject: RE: Namus link: https://identifyus.org/cases/5828
Cc: "Bayer, Lindsey" <Lindsey.Bayer@marioncountyfl.org>
Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 4:02 PM

Dear XXXX XXXX,

In reference to your inquiry about one of our previously unidentified individuals; I am pleased to report that the gentleman was identified via DNA as Douglas Gregory and his remains were returned to his family. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Lindsey A. Bayer, F-ABMDI
Chief Forensic Investigator
District 5 Medical Examiner Office

Thank you!

It's strange though, I googled Douglas Gregory missing (no state or anything) and came up with a Douglas Gregory that went missing in 2009 and was found in Levy County walking in the forest ALIVE in 2009. Levy County is where Crystal River is. I wonder if he had a hx of wandering off and unfortunately they didnt find him this time until after he was deceased.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back