TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree . I would like for them all to be sentenced to death (immediately). I was just trying to figure out why the jury went the way they did. I seriously doubt that the family that the defense put on the stand had any bearing on their decision. They just weren't believable. Fake crying, talking about what a good person/influence Cobbins was. He's a murderer, rapist, how can he be a good influence on your child? I wonder if his family even knew the details of his crime? I don't remember seeing them on the days before. IDK, maybe a juror will give an interview and explain how they came to the decision that they did.

I AM COMPLETELY SICK TO MY STOMACH. This is a true injustice and those jurors should be ashamed of themselves. And his family can go to he&^ they are all horrible liars and pathetic in my eyes. I hope he gets what he deserves in general pop.....he hopefully won't last long there.

I'm completely disgusted right now.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

I can't use enough of these at the moment, what a disgusting pig Cobbins is....

His family obviously wasn't there for him in the past, and now all of a sudden say they will come see him. I don't believe they will, never bothered in the past so why would they now? I want to know why the jury decided the way they did as well. My heart go's out to Christian and Newsom family.

Finally able to check on this case. I am truly wondering what this jury was thinking. Flabbergasted to say the least. Thanks for all the updates. What a sad outcome.

In Tenn. if someone is driving the getaway car in a burglery and a person is murdered... does the getaway driver get charged with the murder also?

The sick part about this is he is going to have it much better in jail, like the father said. For this guy it is like getting a vacation for life, no work, no worries and sex for life. Sad part is he is going to be placed in jail with the general population, the inmates that may be there for drug use, writing out bad checks, heck they are the ones that have to be afraid. Every time I see a new case I always think this is the worst, after reading what happened to this beautiful young couple it just don't get any worse. I say an eye for an eye, let his a$$ get hog tided, raped, beat and put in a trash can that's where he belongs. If I was on that jury my thought would be what if this nut ever gets out or escapes.......PUT HIM TO DEATH. As a parent myself of a wonderful young man, I have wondered how I would feel if my son ever took someone else's life. I can honestly say I will always love my son, BUT if he ever did something this horrible I don't think I would have a hard time with him being put to death because I would not want him on this earth. I pray god gives the parents strength and comfort, I can't imagine the pain.

I only found out about it the other day. Someone posting here at WS has a photo of Channon & Chris in their siggy line, and I thought they were a cute couple, and got curious. It was the day before the jury went out. I don't know all the details, but this has been a tough one for me. I'm not sure I want to know, so I haven't gone looking for the earlier posts. What is wrong with people?

If TN has the felony murder rule (I didn't check) it's possible. Would be very fact dependent. Do you have a specific case in mind?

Yes, this one. How could Romeo be there 'from start to finish' and then not be just as responsible as the ring leader... how did he NOT get death?

This is honestly the worse case I have ever read, so bad wish I never looked. I feel so bad for these families and just wish the people responsible were put to death.

Reactions: LLC
Thanks for posting the clip of the parents after the LWOP decision on the now closed thread. I wanted the DP also but as one poster pointed out it may cost the state more to do the DP because of appeals. I laughed at the Jeffrey Dalmer comment.

Well, I was in TN on Thursday and the decision of the jury was the talk of some workers at a place called the Gathering on Main St. in Sevierville. I so wanted to stop in Knoxville and take a picture outside the courthouse but illness shortened my trip. I did not even get a chance to get a Knoxville daily. I did get the TN Star Journal which was a waste of my fifty cents.

Davidison trial will probably be one for the books. I hope Gary gets some calm down assistance.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=97386&catid=2

(snips)
Judge Richard Baumgartner headed to Chattanooga Monday to find another jury for an upcoming high profile double murder case that has captivated Knox County.
George Thomas is set to go to trial on October 28th. He is accused of torturing and killing Channon Christian and Chris Newsom in January 2007
After the judge gets back from Chattanooga, he will start searching for a fair and impartial jury for Lemaricus Davidson's trial.

On Tuesday, the judge will give nearly 1,000 potential Knox County jurors questionnaires to see if they have already formed an opinion abou the high-profile case.

Davidson has asked for a Knox County jury for a Knox County trial. Davidson is expected to go to trial on September 21st. However, Judge Baumgartner told attorneys he believes it could take at least 2 weeks to find a jury. He is unsure what he will do, if he still can't find a panel after 2 weeks of searching.

Judge B. may need to go to the moon to find an uninformed jury. IMO
Well I guess some have not formed an opinion in this case. Davidison or Thomas

BBM and Swat Teams?

Jury selection is underway Tuesday in Knoxville for the trial of LeMaricus Davidson, the alleged ringleader in the Christian-Newsom murders.
Nine hundred people were originally summoned to the Civic Coliseum.
Court officials said about 600 of those have been able to answer the summons. SWAT teams are present and potential jurors have to go through metal detectors.

More at link:
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11025147

This has got to be taking a toll on Judge Richard Baumgartner. He was looking worn toward the end of Cobbins trial.

I continue to think of the Christian and Newsome families, especially Gary Christian and hope they eventually find peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff