Lobster found guarding a watch

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Lobsters have long been known as solitary and territorial crustaceans -- but timely and fashion conscious?

Divers in northeast England were recently surprised to come across a giant lobster standing guard over a barnacle-encrusted watch at the bottom of a harbor.

Maybe the lobster just knew a bargain: The watch was still ticking.

The watch and its 2-foot-long guardian were found by divers doing maintenance work in Blyth harbor, officials said Thursday.

"We're all highly experienced divers, and none of us has seen anything like this before," said Graham McDonnar, a member of the Lady Francis Dive Team.

"Not only is this the biggest lobster any of us have ever come across under water, but it's also the first sea creature we've encountered that can tell the time," he joked.

The lobster, estimated to be about 30 years old, was taken to the Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth, where it is settling in well in the harbor tank display.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/06/17/503447-ap.html

Could this be the missing 'Diamond Crusted" watch we are looking for - the ISP one???? lol

Casshew said:
Lobsters have long been known as solitary and territorial crustaceans -- but timely and fashion conscious?

Divers in northeast England were recently surprised to come across a giant lobster standing guard over a barnacle-encrusted watch at the bottom of a harbor.

Maybe the lobster just knew a bargain: The watch was still ticking.

The watch and its 2-foot-long guardian were found by divers doing maintenance work in Blyth harbor, officials said Thursday.

"We're all highly experienced divers, and none of us has seen anything like this before," said Graham McDonnar, a member of the Lady Francis Dive Team.

"Not only is this the biggest lobster any of us have ever come across under water, but it's also the first sea creature we've encountered that can tell the time," he joked.

The lobster, estimated to be about 30 years old, was taken to the Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth, where it is settling in well in the harbor tank display.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/06/17/503447-ap.html

If it was a sturgeon guarding it... I would beleive it... but a lobster? nah :doh:

as a lifetime scuba diver i can tell you some sea creatures are very attracted to shiny objects...barracudas among them. i never wear my jewelry when diving or snorkeling. lobster probably liked his shiny little treasure, i hope they let him take it to his new home!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back