Article Posting Question (was: ATTN: Everyone)

sleuthhound

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether or not this issue's been brought up before, but it's regarding the posting of articles.

I've come across several different threads, involving cases from different cities and even countries, and I find myself encountering this same problem in most cases.

I find part of an article regarding a case (in most cases), and then a link to said article. The problem is, the article either expired or was taken down for whatever reason, and no longer exists, thus the link is invalid and rendered useless.

I was wondering if it would be possible in these situations, when you're posting the link to an article, post it to use as a source, but to also copy and paste the entire article itself into the thread? This way, if it's ever removed from the third party website, we'll always have it here to refer to.

Keep in mind most of the threads I'm encountering this in date back to 2005, but I'm sure the same will occur a few years down the road to the current ones.

sleuthhound, while I do totally agree and find it very frustrating when a link has gone bad, I think there are copyright reasons for not posting the entire text of an article. Unless someone can suggest a way to archive these articles on WS, so they can be accessed (but not open to general scrutiny?). I don't even know which jurisdiction WS is under for the purposes of things like copyright.

Yeah, the only reason I could think of for something like this would be fear of copyright infringement. I highly doubt any news company would go out of their way to sue someone on a website such as this one for posting an article of theirs under these circumstance on here.

But I do see why it would deter some on here from doing so.

Yeah, the only reason I could think of for something like this would be fear of copyright infringement. I highly doubt any news company would go out of their way to sue someone on a website such as this one for posting an article of theirs under these circumstance on here.

But I do see why it would deter some on here from doing so.

I worked ten years for a New York Publisher. Copyright infringement is a very serious matter. Publishers and authors do go after people who are in violation, especially repeat offenders. They really don't care about who that person is or what their intent was. You can't publish an entire written piece without the permission of every author on every single piece. That would be impossible to accomplish at WS considering the amount of published material used as reference.

I know that copyright infringement is a violation of WS TOS. You should probably contact a moderator for further clarification. :)

Oooops sorry , I see you already made a visit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back