Bones Found on Property

Tom'sGirl

Former Member
Reaction score
Developing Story

A forensic expert has determined that a bone fragment found in the Antioch backyard of kidnapping suspect Phillip Garrido's neighbor is probably human.
http://cbs5.com/

I know the bone fragment is being discussed in the backyard thread, but this is such an important development, I took Tom's girl's post and made a new thread to specifically discuss the bone fragment possibly being human.

This is major! I'm hoping that DNA can be extracted from this bone fragment to match with missing person cases. I know LE decided they were finished with the investigation of the neighboring property, but I wonder if this will lead to a more thorough investigation and more digging?

Wow...I can't wait to see if they can pull DNA of it, my guess is they should be able to do a PCR at the minimum, as the bone can't be THAT old.

Wow...I can't wait to see if they can pull DNA of it, my guess is they should be able to do a PCR at the minimum, as the bone can't be THAT old.

TomGirl's article states:

Sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee noted that the bone fragment could be American Indian and may not be connected to any crime. It is not uncommon to find Native American bones in the county, he said.

http://cbs5.com/local/phillip.garrido.bone.2.1171319.html

(ETA: sorry for the duplicate on information, Mysteriew, we were typing our posts at about the same time.)

http://www.cccoe.net/miwokproject/index.html

The Indians of East and Central Contra Costa County were the Miwok. Miwok means people. Since the Miwok area covers the territory from here to Yosemite, they were called the Bay Miwok, meaning people of the bay.

Five tribelets of Bay Miwok have been indentified. They are the Saclan, Chupcan, Volvon, Julpun, and Tatcan tribelets. The name of each tribelet came from the location of their village site.

A small tribelet of Chupcan lived along the streams in Concord which flowed north to the wide tule marshes on the edge of the Bay and into the Pittsburg and Black Diamond areas.

The Julpun tribelet lived in the delta areas east of Antioch in the Oakley and Brentwood areas, they were know as fishermen.

Very interesting...
I can't wait for the results,which may open up a whole can of worms!

San Jose Mercury News Aug 31, 2009‎
"The bone fragment was found Sunday by cadaver-sniffing dogs that had been brought in from Santa Clara ..."

It's important to note that these dogs are not trained to find remains - they are trained to find scent. Without exception, all cadaver dogs are "air scent" trained.

Not claiming it is impossible, for there are dogs trained to find the scent of ancient remains - but they are rare and the vast majority of cadaver dogs are trained to find scent much less than 20-30 years old. A single bone fragment, not contained in any air-tight enclosure, would likely not be giving off scent (decomposition) if it was anywhere near 100 years old.

I wonder how many women and children have been murdered by Garrido. He is quite prolific. I wouldn't be suprised if he has raped little boys too. I bet that's a secret and he's ashamed of it. I do not beleive that he is not involved in the prostitute murders. It seems to me that "god" was speaking to him through the box and telling him to murder the street walkers.

The bone fragment is going to be a victim. The bulldozers will be coming to that yard.

San Jose Mercury News Aug 31, 2009‎
"The bone fragment was found Sunday by cadaver-sniffing dogs that had been brought in from Santa Clara ..."

It's important to note that these dogs are not trained to find remains - they are trained to find scent. Without exception, all cadaver dogs are "air scent" trained.

Not claiming it is impossible, for there are dogs trained to find the scent of ancient remains - but they are rare and the vast majority of cadaver dogs are trained to find scent much less than 20-30 years old. A single bone fragment, not contained in any air-tight enclosure, would likely not be giving off scent (decomposition) if it was anywhere near 100 years old.

This is a scary thought - until now, there hasn't been anything to suggest that PG was a killer - just violent and incredibly sick. Who knows what else he is reponsible for?
I wouldn't be surprised if they started excavating the yard now looking for more.

The bone fragment is going to be a victim. The bulldozers will be coming to that yard.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started excavating the yard now looking for more.

Makes me wonder if news crews have already returned to the scene to watch for this development.

If anyone sees it being reported live from the scene today, please share with us.

If we don't see any TV coverage, or hear from someone else about it, I'll try to get someone to drive by there today to see if anything is taking place at the property.

LE's statement about Native American bones being a possibility seemed a whole lot like "throwing a bone" to the public in my opinion only...

Like trying to throw a lid on a boiling pot... ya know what I'm sayin?

eta: please excuse the play on words

They are cautioning that it isn't uncommon to find Native American remains in that area. So I am guessing that the bone fragment they found must look really old? Or they are using that to keep media attention lower?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13290973

http://www.times-standard.com/statenews/ci_13294186

My guess is that they don't want too much media attention until there's further testing done. If the bone looked very old, they probably wouldn't mention finding it until all the testing was done...........not want to invite media attention to something that may not be relevant to the case against the Garridos.

I wonder if it could possibly belong to Monica DaSilva, who was found murdered in 1990 - they only found her skull, ribs and collar bone - strange, isn't it? If it does, they might not find a match on any missing girls - because she has already been found.

I wonder how many women and children have been murdered by Garrido.
None that we know of so far. No conrete evidence has come up.

I wouldn't be suprised if he has raped little boys too.
I would be, as many predators have a preference (some don't care of course), and his preference appears to be pre-teen-adult girls.

I do not beleive that he is not involved in the prostitute murders. It seems to me that "god" was speaking to him through the box and telling him to murder the street walkers.
No evidence so far points to him....we can't pin everything and anything on him just because they are possibilities.

Better wording would be could be a victim, as it's already been posted about possible NA remains. There also isn't evidence that he's a murderer yet either, although this could definitely be the first.

I will be interested to see if it belongs to a child, and if the DNA ties back to Garrido himself.

Makes me wonder if news crews have already returned to the scene to watch for this development.

If anyone sees it being reported live from the scene today, please share with us.

If we don't see any TV coverage, or hear from someone else about it, I'll try to get someone to drive by there today to see if anything is taking place at the property.

Well, I finally got someone to drive me by there today. It's Saturday, of course, not that it matters for an investigation, but there was no activity taking place at the property.

It's just sealed off with the new fence that's been added and a No Treaspassing sign. It was just a quiet day on the street.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back