Ky. Church to Ordain Registered Sex Offender

impatientredhead

Reaction score
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090909/ky-church-to-ordain-registered-sex-offender/index.html

A church in Louisville, Ky., plans to ordain a registered sex offender this coming Sunday though they won’t allow him to have unsupervised contact with children.
About ten years ago, Mark Hourigan was charged with sodomizing, sexually abusing and intimidating an 11-year-old boy and ended up serving time in prison.
Since then, Hourigan has been released from prison, completed his probation time, and joined the City of Refuge Worship Center, where he now leads praise and worship.
Though some congregants have expressed concerns regarding Hourgian's ordination, Pastor Randy Meadows told a local ABC affiliate that the Lord touched Hourigan’s heart.
Furthermore, Hourigan will be signing agreement not to minister to children.
Despite this, the church’s plan to ordain him has resulted in the departure of some of the church congregants who are concerned that he will reoffend.
Because of his past offense, Hourigan has to remain on the sex offender registry for the rest of his life.

I would run, too, if I belonged to that church. I don't care if people "start anew"...those type of offenders can't be rehabed, according to statistics and my own opinion...sodomizing and abusing an 11-year-old boy!??!?!?!??!?! WTH?!?!??!

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090909/ky-church-to-ordain-registered-sex-offender/index.html

A church in Louisville, Ky., plans to ordain a registered sex offender this coming Sunday though they won’t allow him to have unsupervised contact with children.
About ten years ago, Mark Hourigan was charged with sodomizing, sexually abusing and intimidating an 11-year-old boy and ended up serving time in prison.
Since then, Hourigan has been released from prison, completed his probation time, and joined the City of Refuge Worship Center, where he now leads praise and worship.
Though some congregants have expressed concerns regarding Hourgian's ordination, Pastor Randy Meadows told a local ABC affiliate that the Lord touched Hourigan’s heart.
Furthermore, Hourigan will be signing agreement not to minister to children.
Despite this, the church’s plan to ordain him has resulted in the departure of some of the church congregants who are concerned that he will reoffend.
Because of his past offense, Hourigan has to remain on the sex offender registry for the rest of his life.
The person who ordained him is a dumb as a 2 X 4.
Or as naive as a child. Sex offenders do not get cured.
A church is a fine arena where they can offend again.
A child would trust a pastor and that would put any child in a disadvantage.
He does not have to preach to children...
all they have to do is come to church with their parents.

this is a horrific story :eek:
I too would leave that church and I think all of them should leave.
You dont need a gun to protect your family...You just need a brain sometimes.

KY laws state that a registered sex offender cannot live within 2000 ft of a school or church. So, he can work there? I wonder if the State can get involved in this.

I was floored when I saw it.
There is no way you can guarantee he is never alone with a child.
And even if you manage to supervise at the church, during his known activities, the church and ANY parent that continues to attend is putting this man in a respected/trustworthy role to their children.

If they don't think that will enable him to approach their child behind their back, well they are being wildly reckless with their children.

While it is wonderful to think that this guy "might" have turned his life around, (I sure hope he did, but statistics are not on his side) it is utterly ridiculous to ordain this man. I am a believer, and I know God delivers us from our pasts and forgives us, I know he changes lives---but almost every study ever done has said that pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated. I'd hate to be the kid around him when his faith is tested.

If he is truly repentant and will never harm another child, he can participate in the church as a lay-person--give his testimony, help others who struggle with sexual issues, continue to lead praise and worship,etc--but to sanction him as a pastor not only puts the children of the area at risk, it puts the CHURCH at risk. To knowingly put a convicted sex offender in a position of authority, they are surely liable if and when he re-offends.

I agree with the last poster. He can be a lay person, part of the congregation without any contact...supervised or not with children. After you sodomize a little boy, your chances at a leadership position in any Church I would attend are done. I believe in forgiveness, not idiocy.

WHAT??? :eek: This is absolutely insane. :furious: I am with all of you in NEVER walking into that church again.

Its disturbing that a church would even consider ordaining a sex offender....I just will NEVER understand the sense of acceptance rapists/pedos/sex offenders receive.

I saw this on HLN the other night and I am appalled!! Anyone who stays at that church after this is out of their mind!!

I wouldn't stay in that church and believe that ordained pastors should be of good report. Why doesn't he minister to sex offenders or adult males in the prisons or jails. The good old fashioned way of not even ordaining divorced men might have been the better way.

I wouldn't stay in that church and believe that ordained pastors should be of good report. Why doesn't he minister to sex offenders or adult males in the prisons or jails. The good old fashioned way of not even ordaining divorced men might have been the better way.

OK, just sayin' - if anything happens to a kid, I say the parents go down for child endangerment. I would hope they would be held responsible for subjecting their child to be a victim for this never-to-be-cured-100% preditor.

God is great and can do amazing things, but man is ALWAYS weak and untrustworthy - so sure - good for you buddy, but don't come near my kids EVER.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back