CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Just thought I would start another thread, since the other one was so long. Hope that's ok.

:rose: Holding on to hope for Annie

Interestingly enough, her wedding plans were announced in the same publication as her story for safety and crime prevention.

Annie Le, (Pharmacology 2nd year and B
staffer) announced her engagement to Jonathan
Widawsky, grad student at Columbia. Wedding in
September 2009.

http://bbs.yale.edu/images/B10_1.pdf

Widawsky is definitely not an Asian name. However, their appears to be a very large Asian population at Yale from what I am reading in various places. Maybe while her family may not have any problem with it...perhaps someone else did.

I wonder if this the Professor they questioned:

Le worked in the lab of Anton Bennett, an associate professor of pharmacology.
Police confiscated her belongings from that lab yesterday and were still examining her lab space Tuesday evening.

Bennett, for his part, said he was first contacted by police late Tuesday after Le’s roommate reported her missing.

He emphasized that his eight-person laboratory team, of which Le is a member, works closely together and, as such, her colleagues noticed her absence quickly.

“There was certainly immediate concern about her whereabouts,” Bennett said. “And they grew over the course of the day,” especially after she missed a pathology class for which she is a teaching assistant.

Bennett described Le as an extremely diligent and well-organized student. He added that she was always aware of her surroundings and took appropriate precautions when leaving the lab late at night.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,548904,00.html BBM

Thanks for the new thread, Kaylynn~ It is great. :)

Well, I came on over, but I posted before I left and it took, so I am thinking, the thread has to be locked.

Annie Le. I do think something bad has happened.
I don't want it to be that, but all signs look that way.

-----------------------------------------------

The fiance is Jewish. I think Annie Le was taking Hebrew lessons.

And I think it is Anton Bennett that the police have questioned.
Ah...so now we have two different cultures.

Originally posted by Concerned Citizen:

Originally Posted by dreamweaver
--------------------
News articles say Annie Le is Vietnamese.
She lived in Placerville, CA, while growin up.

I have not seen anything about why she is using the last name Le at this time.
Perhaps her mother remarried and she assumed her step father's last name?
Otherwise, her mother chose the name Vivian Le. Maybe she is thinking, Tara and Scarlet. I know, ot, just could not help it.
No stepfather's name is on the invitation, and no father's either. Isn't that curious?

Love the GWTW reference, btw.

Hi JerseyGirl, I'm thinking blood was found, maybe blood transfer from the clothing smeared onto the aluminum frame of that ceiling or on the tile itself. If the perp was in a state of trauma he might not even notice it there. And it could be clothing he used to wipe up blood and they would be able to tell how fresh it was.

Whatever it was, there had to be something like this found to establish the area as a crime scene, don't you think?

That comment from 'Joe' still haunts me about this being done to her in the women's bathroom. I wonder if that ceiling was in the bathroom?

I also wonder if the bathroom had those drainage traps in them, you know, the ones that can easily be hosed down and drain through the foor. Again, just speculation, but they added showers on campus to promote bike riding & walking/jogging across campus (green campus). Maybe I'm way off base here, but something just isn't kosher. I've barely posted in some months now simply b/c I got too involved Haleigh's case...and this is only an online forum, I can't even imagine what I'd feel like if I were an official on the case - probably would never get any sleep! I truly believe Annie has met her premature fate and law enforcement has some kind of evidence that they are guarding for obvious reasons.

I looked at the surveillance pic again and don't believe her to be carrying a baby or be pregnant. She has a notebook underneath a book that is open, on in which she seems to be walking and reading at the same time...maybe some kind of text book, or chem book. It looks thick like a chem or bio book.

Something else I'd like to mention, and I'm not quite sure if this is the case in Annie's circumstance...but...when working in research, especially dealing with anything molecular, the entire surroundings (including clothing attire) have to be sterilized/disinfected and or the like. I do not see Annie working in molecular pharmacology and walking from her research lab wearing the same scrubs or lab jacket that she would have been wearing in her lab. I would think her field would be one in which sterility is a must, especially when dealing with research grants. It is very expensive to run a research lab, and an absolute honor to be part of a research team, so I wonder if she'd stear away from proper etiquette...if it can even be considered etiquette. Only brainstorming, not even sure what she did exactly, like what her role was, but I'm pretty sure she had to scrub down & wear sterilized gloves & such.

Otherwise, her mother chose the name Vivian Le. Maybe she is thinking, Tara and Scarlet. I know, ot, just could not help it.
No stepfather's name is on the invitation, and no father's either. Isn't that curious?

Hey gal! I'm not quite sure about this...but...I know that it's very popular for Asian or Oriental people to take on a similar Americanized surname when they move to America. I have no idea if this is the reason for the different surnames, but it could very well explain it.

"In Vietnamese cultural practice, women almost always keep their family names once they marry, just as in other [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian"]East Asian[/ame] cultures, including [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_culture"]Chinese culture[/ame], to the north and northeast.
Some Vietnamese have a dual family name. Usually it is a combination of the father's family name and the mother's family name. For example, "Nguyễn Phạm", "Nguyễn Lê."
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_name[/ame]

Yes, LE did question Anton Bennett extensively. Some reports are that they were interested in him especially because he had cancelled the class she was to teach before she was reported missing.

Bringing Angel's post to this new thread:

Focus In Annie Le Probe Less On “State Lines”
September 12, 2009 9:34 PM
<snipped>
The FBI came to New Haven to help with what looked like a possible kidnapping across state lines. By Saturday night, attention seemed to be focusing more and more on the scene right here in town.

FBI Special Agent Kimberly Mertz (pictured) confirmed at a Saturday afternoon press conference that “items that could potentially be evidence have been seized” at the scene at 10 Amistad in the Hill neighborhood. (Watch the press conference here.) She wouldn’t confirm numerous media reports Saturday that the items included bloody clothing stashed in a ceiling, or that the evidence can be tied at this point to Annie Le.

Investigators don’t yet have lab results on the blood — or even word of if it’s human blood.

But the new developments — combined with the visit of New Haven State’s Attorney Michael Dearington to 10 Amistad Saturday afternoon — are leading to a sense that a grisly crime might have taken place right at Amistad.

Article:
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/09/it_doesnt_sound.php

:angel:

Hey gal! I'm not quite sure about this...but...I know that it's very popular for Asian or Oriental people to take on a similar Americanized surname when they move to America. I have no idea if this is the reason for the different surnames, but it could very well explain it.

I totally agree.

This site has the origin of the surname Le (which is Vietnamese)- http://www.yutopian.net/names/15/15li92.html

I believe that the authorities have talked to everyone who knew Annie, and that would certainly include her team leader, Anton Bennett. However, I think when posters talk about the professor who was reportedly "grilled," they are referring to the prof who cancelled the pathology class for which Annie was a TA and which was scheduled to be held Tuesday afternoon. He (that prof) apparently canceled the class before Annie was even reported missing. Hmmmmm. This prof has never been identified by name, as far as I know.

MOO.

Ah...so now we have two different cultures.

I'm sure I read back in the monster thread #1 that the fiance, Jonathan Windawsky, is half Chinese. Ugh, if only I could remember where I saw that! So I imagine there's some intercultural understanding!

So you're pronouncing Le as "lee"? I have Vietnamese friends who say it's more like "lay".

I believe that the authorities have talked to everyone who knew Annie, and that would certainly include her team leader, Anton Bennett. However, I think when posters talk about the professor who was reportedly "grilled," they are referring to the prof who cancelled the pathology class for which Annie was a TA and which was scheduled to be held Tuesday afternoon. He (that prof) apparently canceled the class before Annie was even reported missing. Hmmmmm. This prof has never been identified by name, as far as I know.

MOO.

But we don't know if Anton Bennet IS or IS NOT the professer who they were supposedly questioning. What I mean is we don't know the identity of the professer who was questioned. I suppose it could have been Bennett. Can anybody shed any light?

I'm sure I read back in the monster thread #1 that the fiance, Jonathan Windawsky, is half Chinese. Ugh, if only I could remember where I saw that! So I imagine there's some intercultural understanding!

So you're pronouncing Le as "lee"? I have Vietnamese friends who say it's more like "lay".

The media is pronouncing it as "Lee" so that's how I've been pronouncing it.

Can you verify that he is half Chinese? Everything I've read about him says he is Jewish. There is nothing forbidding Jews from marrying Vietnamese. It's happened twice in my own family!

I only remember reading that he's Jewish. I also have Vietnamese friends, and these people pronounce it Lee.

It probably depends on the people. For example, I have Haitian friends whose last name is Jean. Some family members pronounce it "jeen" while in the same family (brothers and sisters) others pronounce it "jaun" (with a soft "j")

In the news they've been pronouncing it Lee.

For some reason, this little bit of "info" slipped by me...has anyone else seen this or heard this? Please refer to the following link with the info respectfully snipped by me...could there be truth to this?

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/09/this_would_be_my_guess.php

"The alarm originated in the lab that she was working in! Either she triggered the alarm when she was attacked (see article she wrote about crime and street smarts) or the assailant triggered the alarm as a diversion. He was either able to escape with her alive through a remote exit, or casually walked out a remote exit with her during evacuation and grabbed her once outside, or killed her within the building and was able to get the body out unnoticed before she was reported missing/building searched.
End Quote
Bold by me. The alarm triggered from her lab? Is this true? I had no idea it was from her direct lab...thought it was an alarm in the building. If it was in her lab, how could anyone blow that off as not being suspicious?

But we don't know if Anton Bennet IS or IS NOT the professer who they were supposedly questioning. What I mean is we don't know the identity of the professer who was questioned. I suppose it could have been Bennett. Can anybody shed any light?

Exactly. He says he's talked to LE but is he the same professor that canceled the class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth