9/14/09 Bail Hearing & Press Conference 8:00 am PT

Californian

Just call me Cali : > )
Reaction score
The Garrido's bail hearing is scheduled to take place at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning, followed by this press conference with the El Dorado County D.A.

PRESS CONFERENCE
Garrido Case

Immediately following the hearing on the Garrido case scheduled for
September 14, 2009, 8:00 a.m. in Department 7 of the El Dorado County
Superior Court, located at 2850 Fairlane Court, Placerville, California.

District Attorney Vern Pierson will make a prepared statement. This
press conference will take place outside the courthouse in the vicinity of
Department 7. There will be a limited question and answer period
following the prepared statement.

source: http://www.edcgov.us/sheriff/press_releases/2009/091309_garrido.pdf

###​

With thanks to Dr. Doogie for this alert.

What has happened??? Did they have the press conference?

The press conference is set for after the hearing. The hearing should just be getting ready to begin.

Just seeing Garrido on TV at the bail hearing today - seems he's had his little "nose problem" taken care of - there's a bandaid across his nose over where that "thing" was.

Just a comment of what I saw.

Fox news reporting 30 million $ bail, she is still on no bail.
I am LIVID! I don't care how high the bail is. This guy should never see the light of day!
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid courts!
Lock up your kids, that's the only way they'll be safe.

Is FOX News going to carry the press conference?

Just seeing Garrido on TV at the bail hearing today - seems he's had his little "nose problem" taken care of - there's a bandaid across his nose over where that "thing" was.

Just a comment of what I saw.

Well, isn't it NICE that the monster (calling him a monster is an insult to all good monsters like on Sesame Street) got some decent MEDICAL CARE?

. . . . unlike Jaycee and her daughters, who were deprived of all medical care. (Thank God that Jaycee didn't have complications with her pregnancies, and thank god that none of them seemingly ever *needed* to go to the hospital.)

Let him stay alive for the trial, then let the cancer consume him. :furious:

Sharon Ito, Live Online: That concludes our live stream from the El Dorado County courthouse -- full report on news10.net and on News10 Mid Day at 11 a.m.

Phillip Garrido's bail set at $30 million; psychological evaluations requested
By John Simerman
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 09/14/2009 07:15:17 AM PDT
Updated: 09/14/2009 08:49:47 AM PDT

PLACERVILLE — The El Dorado County Superior Court set bail for Phillip Garrido, the primary suspect in the 18-year disappearance of Jaycee Dugard, to the tune of $30 million.

Judge Douglas Phimister granted a request by their attorneys to have Phillip and Nancy Garrido undergo psychological evaluations (BBM), the results of which are expected to be addressed at their next hearing, scheduled for Oct. 29.

In the court room, the Garridos were mostly quiet, with Nancy Garrido using her hair to shield her face from a battery of press cameras. The only words they said were "Yes, sir" when asked to waive their right to have a trial within 60 days.

Phillip Garrido wore a bandage over his nose, which attorney Susan Gellman said was from an unspecified surgery.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13333373?source=rss&nclick_check=1

So, yes, PG gets to have surgery. Honestly, I think that he should have to reimburse the State of California for this. There are plenty of decent, hard-working families who can't afford health treatment, and here's this getting free surgery. :behindbar Disgusting.

JUDGE IS A N A HOLE....:furious: :furious:
these animal have no rights to freedom, and should never be let out, not even for one more day.
No body will be safe. and the cops are idiots too.
In fact they should lock up the parole officer and the lazy cops too.

What is it with our Country...They give rapists free surgery? :furious:
" YAP land of the free home of the stupid "
This SOB rapist should not be medically treated. If he has cancer it is OK.
He does not deserve to be saved.
My name is not Jesus, and I do not forgive this man.

Garrido DA: Jaycee's Family Doing "Exceptionally Well"
Bail set at $30 million for Garrido
Updated 9:00 AM PDT, Mon, Sep 14, 2009

In court, the judge set Phillip Garrido's bail at $30 million. There is no bail for his wife because her attorney chose not to ask for bail. El Dorado County Superior Court Judge Douglas Phimister set the high amount Monday, citing the serious nature of the charges, injuries to the victim and the fact that Garrido was on parole at the time of the alleged crime.

source: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Garrido-DA-Jaycee-Family-Doing-Exceptionally-Well-59230892.html.

Is $30 million considered "high"? As in, impossible to post, so there is no chance this monster gets out on bail?

another excerpt from the article linked above:

He (the judge) also credited the action of parole agent Eddy Santos who he said broke through a "well planned cover story." The agent brought in Garrido for routine questioning after he attempted to get a permit to hand out fliers at UC Berkeley. During that interview, Santos figured out the woman with Garrido was the kidnapped child-now adult Jaycee Dugard.​

The judge praised the parole officer, but does the PO deserve such "credit"? Did the parole officer think "outside the box" this time by ordering Garrido into his Concord office instead of visiting Garrido's home based on the suspicions raised by the Berkeley officers? I'd like to know how long Eddy Santos served as Garrido's PO prior to 8/25/09, i.e. how many contacts he had made with this criminal.

EDITED AT 10:00 AM TO ADD info from a second article; I won't be getting the answer to the question above after all:

But he (the judge) praised parole agent Edward Santos for finally discovering that Dugard was allegedly being held by the Garridos. "This parole agent successfully broke through an elaborate, well-planned cover story that was 18 years in the making," Pierson said.

California corrections officials have refused to release details of how Garrido, who was on lifetime parole, was supervised by Santos or to provide dates that Santos visited the Garrido home or backyard. James Scarver, a parole agent who responded to a state Public Records Act request filed by The Bee on Aug. 28, said such dates are "exempt from disclosure." He did not respond to a request for the Corrections Department's policies on how frequently Santos should have visited the home and inspected the premises.

Corrections spokesman Gordon Hinkle has said Santos operated "by the book" and would have been to the home numerous times. However, he said, Garrido managed to conceal the presence of Dugard and the two children. The department called a news conference Aug. 27 to take credit for helping to finally find Dugard, and the news release claiming parole agents helped uncover her presence is featured prominently on the department's main Web site.​

source: http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2181498.html.

I would gather that he would have to put up a percentage of that. I don't think that we need to fear that he CAN. I wouldn't think he would have any money - - whose name is on the house deed?

Whassup with the judge? Anybody know anything about him?
Judge need to be retired. :furious:

Judge sets $30 million bail for Phillip Garrido
By Sam Stanton and Denny Walsh
Published: Monday, Sep. 14, 2009 - 6:39 am
Last Modified: Monday, Sep. 14, 2009 - 9:51 am

The $30 million bail for Phillip Garrido essentially was unnecessary because he already is the subject of a hold by Nevada officials because he allegedly violated parole in the abduction.​

Ahh, so this means he can't be released even if bail is posted. *looks around for confirmation*

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2181498.html

The judge praised the parole officer, but does the PO deserve such "credit"? Did the parole officer think "outside the box" this time by ordering Garrido into his Concord office instead of visiting Garrido's home based on the suspicions raised by the Berkeley officers? I'd like to know how long Eddy Santos served as Garrido's PO prior to 8/25/09, i.e. how many contacts he had made with this criminal.

Pierson (the District Attorney) also defended Eddie Santos, the state parole agent responsible for supervising Phillip Garrido's parole, and credited him with "having successfully broken through an elaborate, well-planned cover story that was 18 years in the making."

. . . . *paragraph snipped*

Pierson said the legal system and law enforcement have faced "legitimate criticism" in light of Dugard's discovery, particularly with the fact that now-defunct federal sentencing rules allowed Garrido to leave prison after serving just 11 years of his 50-year sentence for the kidnapping and rape 33 years ago.
(Legitimate Criticism? DUH!!!! Hellooooo, and whaddya gonna do about it!)

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13333373?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Am I MISSING something here? Cover story? Ummm . . . it sure as hell wouldn't take that much to shred that UNSUBSTANTIAL cover story to PIECES in short order? It wasn't 18 years in the making, it went on for 18 years. In the making would suggest that Garrido PLANNED everything for 18 years and then went on to do the abduction. NO. This went on for 18 years, 18 years of the parole officer(s) BLINDNESS. Oh, yeah, good call about having them come into his office. Kinda late. Oh, well, better late than NEVER.

Heads should ROLL.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a tough cookie, but I think that the parole office and LE oughta be hiring and firing sometime in the NEAR future.

(Legitimate Criticism? DUH!!!! Hellooooo, and whaddya gonna do about it!)

Heads should ROLL.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a tough cookie, but I think that the parole office and LE oughta be hiring and firing sometime in the NEAR future.

I'm with you on this one, MBK. I am still angered that Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf said that the Deputy who responded to the 2006 call won't be reprimanded in any way; that "living with it" would be punishment enough.

That's just crapola imo.

If we come to find out this decision was made on the "atta boy" system (i.e. long time employee, and political supporter) I will be absolutely livid. :banghead:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back