Identified! AZ - Coconino Co., human remains buried in yard, Apr'09 - Elsie Cantrell

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories/ashfork-news-091509-missing-woman-remains.181e90923.html

10:34 AM Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

...Elsie Cantrell, 79, vanished from her home in the spring of 1997. A few months ago, an animal belonging to a renter dug up a piece of cloth, which led to the discovery of the full skeletal remains of a human in the backyard.

According to the Coconino County Sheriff's Office, the victim died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

Through DNA analysis, the victim has been tentatively identified as Cantrell. Further testing and analysis are being conducted to confirm the identity...

Cantrell had not been reported as a missing person.

How sad that the woman wasn't reported missing by anyone.

Obviously her own daughter didn't care. She's serving time for theft. I wonder if perhaps the daughter did the dirty deed and collected moms Social Security checks?

Rest in peace Elsie Cantrell.

Maz

:cow:

I ran into this by accident but I do have to say something. Ike and Elsie Cantrell were very good friends of mine as I lived not far from them in Ash Fork. I worked for them for awhile. Helped them build their home and restored some antiques for them. There has never been two nicer people that I have known. They had a ton of silver in a safe in the back bedroom and I fear that is what got her killed. May they both Rest in Peace. Later, Jim.

I ran into this by accident but I do have to say something. Ike and Elsie Cantrell were very good friends of mine as I lived not far from them in Ash Fork. I worked for them for awhile. Helped them build their home and restored some antiques for them. There has never been two nicer people that I have known. They had a ton of silver in a safe in the back bedroom and I fear that is what got her killed. May they both Rest in Peace. Later, Jim.

I have to ask kingjim, what did her friends think happen to her or what was the official story from the next of kin? I'd be curious to know.

Welcome to WS kingjim and thank you for sharing a little bit about Elsie and her husband with us.

RIP Elsie, I'm glad she was finally identified.

I have to ask kingjim, what did her friends think happen to her or what was the official story from the next of kin? I'd be curious to know.
I don't know of any friends she had. Her and Ike were private people. I had not seen her after Ike passed away. I moved around allot and finally settled in Kingman. I knew nothing of her disappearance until I seen an article in the paper about her being found. I contacted the Sheriff at that time to tell him about the silver in the house. Never heard back from him. I am still sad that I did not keep in touch. They were both absolutely wonderful people.

I am the wife of Elsie and Ike's grandson. Son of Dottie Champlin. We are just as frustrated about this as others are. My husband and his sisters were told by their mother that Elsie ran off in the middle of the night with a black man who had threatened Dottie. Some of us agree that Dottie had something to do with this. There was a husband of Dottie's that was given a polygraph concerning the death of Elsie, he passed. Dottie refused to take it. The attorney has no real physical evidence to go on right now. The detectives feel it in their bones that Dottie did it, but no one can prove it. At this time she is out on parole and said to be living in the house on John Charles Road. If anyone out there can confirm this, I would appreciate it very much. If you have questions or comments let me know. I will answer as best as I can. Thank you.

The link shown in the first post is dead. This link is still active:
http://azdailysun.com/news/local/article_8469a7ab-a8f0-54e6-97be-91222800f550.html

After reading the media release that carl posted I checked the Sheriffs website and was surprised to see that this case is not listed as one of their cold cases. Does anyone know if the daughter was ever charged? I don't see much out there on this.

Dottie Champlin has not been charged and she is living in home on John Charles Dr, in Ash Fork, Az

How sad that the woman wasn't reported missing by anyone.

Obviously her own daughter didn't care. She's serving time for theft. I wonder if perhaps the daughter did the dirty deed and collected moms Social Security checks?

Rest in peace Elsie Cantrell.

Maz

:cow:

I am married to Elsie's Grandson Larry. His mother is Dottie Champlin and we as a family found out in May 2009 that Elsie was indeed deceased. Soon after that Dottie skipped town. In our hearts we know that she did indeed commit murder on Elsie Cantrell. The detectives do not have the hard evidence to connect her to the murder. They did however find proof that she indeed was receiving a social security check that was for Elsie. We are saddened at the loss of Elsie and angry with Dottie because of her actions. We pray that there will be justice for Elsie. The family agrees that Dottie is the only one with opportunity and motive and weapons. Thank you all for watching the Elsie Cantrell thread.

Here is the press release regarding the positive ID of Elsie Cantrell's skeletal remains:

http://www.coconino.az.gov/uploadedFiles/Sheriff/Media Release Champlin Homicide 091409.pdf
Carl I am Elsie Cantrell’s Granddaughter. And was wondering if you could share with me the actual news article and I am in the process of finding. Out why my grandmother’s death wasn’t listed in the cold case files or why they haven’t brought anyone up on charges
Thank you very much

I'm afraid I'm not Carl, ma'am, but that post was from 14 years ago and the file no longer exists on the Coconino county website. I did try to use the Internet Archive to see if that particular press release was archived but, I'm afraid, no luck. You may want to consider contacting the Coconino county website to see if they have the post archived.

Best of luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Carl I am Elsie Cantrell’s Granddaughter. And was wondering if you could share with me the actual news article and I am in the process of finding. Out why my grandmother’s death wasn’t listed in the cold case files or why they haven’t brought anyone up on charges
Thank you very much

Human remains found in Ashfork backyard

More Phoenix Local News

10:34 AM Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

By Jennifer Thomas / azfamily.com

ASHFORK, Ariz. -- More than 10 years after an elderly woman disappeared from her home in Ashfork, Ariz., authorities believe they have found her body.
Elsie Cantrell, 79, vanished from her home in the spring of 1997. A few months ago, an animal belonging to a renter dug up a piece of cloth, which led to the discovery of the full skeletal remains of a human in the backyard.
According to the Coconino County Sheriff's Office, the victim died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back of the head.
Through DNA analysis, the victim has been tentatively identified as Cantrell. Further testing and analysis are being conducted to confirm the identity.
The investigation revealed that Cantrell and her daughter, Dottie Champlin, co-owned the property where Cantrell's body was found.
Cantrell had not been reported as a missing person.
Champlin is currently serving time at the Yavapai Detention Center on theft charges out of Yavapai County.
No charges have been filed in reference to Cantrell's death and the case is still under investigation.

Hello this is Elsie Cantrell granddaughter is there away you can contact me please

Hello this is Elsie Cantrell granddaughter is there away you can contact me please
unfortunately the user "kingjim" hasn't been seen here on WS since 2011. Let's hope he still lurks without logging in, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back