Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72

DollyPardonMe

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Mary Travers, who as one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary helped popularize such tunes as "Puff (The Magic Dragon)" and "If I Had a Hammer," died in a Connecticut hospital Wednesday after battling leukemia for several years. She was 72.
The band's publicist, Heather Lylis, said Travers died at Danbury Hospital.
Bandmate Peter Yarrow said that in her final months, Travers handled her declining health with bravery and generosity, showing her love to friends and family "with great dignity and without restraint."
"It was, as Mary always was, honest and completely authentic," he said. "That's the way she sang, too; honestly and with complete authenticity."

My sister ALWAYS made fun of me for singing "Leaving on a Jet Plane."
RIP Mary

Dolly,

Thank you. This is sad news indeed. I always loved Leaving on a jet plane too and still sing along with it when it comes on the oldies station, when no one is around tho.

I am so very sad to hear she has passed. Peter, Paul and Mary were a part of my childhood I loved so very much and I have had the joy of sharing with my daughter. My thoughts and well wishes go to her friends and family. She will be missed. :cry:

May she Rest in Peace. I read about her battle.

My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

I loved the song "Leaving on a Jet Plane too."

Gozgals

oh no!! i use to love them, especially their christmas show. RIP Mary

I heard about her passing last night on the radio. So sad. In the 80's I got to see them in concert. It was one of the best shows I've seen, everyone was singing with them and we all knew all the words! :) Rest in peace, Mary.

Eventhough I am still in my 20's I have been listening to Peter, Paul and Mary since I was a teenager. Leaving on a Jet Plane is a great song. They had so many great songs.

RIP Mary.

I loved them. Saw them first in college and then a couple of times in later years. On down long winter days in early marriage with babies, my favorite was her singing, "Wish I were a single girl again".........one line....rock that cradle and cry. I have lots of their CDs....................I probably missed it,,,but her passing was just a trailer on the portion of the morning show (ABC) I got to see this morning....I hope they did more....she deserved it.

Peter Paul and Mary, was the first concert I had ever seen, way back
in the sixties, at McCormack Place in Chicago.

So sad that she passed, what a great talent.

When my kids were born, I bought Peter ,Paul & Mommy. (Peter, Paul and Mary singing for kids) So many fun songs for kids, and my husand and i didn't go crazy listening to it over and over. I still play it in my daycare, and i did today as a little personal thanks for the music.

I love their music and she had a lovely voice. RIP Mary. Damn, we are losing too many too often lately.

We had a Peter, Paul, and Mary album in our house when I was growing up. It was the 3 of them standing in front of some type of podium(?). I'm going to look that album up on ebay. My brothers and sisters and I use to listen to that album alot.
Was Mary married to either Peter or Paul?

edit: looked it up on ebay, it was the Moving album and it's a suitcase not a podium Mary is leaning on!

We had a Peter, Paul, and Mary album in our house when I was growing up. It was the 3 of them standing in front of some type of podium(?). I'm going to look that album up on ebay. My brothers and sisters and I use to listen to that album alot.
Was Mary married to either Peter or Paul?

edit: looked it up on ebay, it was the Moving album and it's a suitcase not a podium Mary is leaning on!

She was actually married 4 times but none of those times were to Peter or Paul.....But a bit of trivia. When Peter was going to get married Paul wrote him "The Wedding Song ( There is Love )" as a Wedding Gift. It is probably the most played song at weddings to date, and so beautiful!! I cry every time I watch this video. I think Mary was very blessed to be loved by Peter and Paul for so many years in a sort of "marriage" partnership!

[video=youtube;A1v84WKC6Pg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1v84WKC6Pg[/video]

DollyPardonMe,
Thanks for that trivia. I didn't realize that was a PPM song. I've bawled my eyes out at many a wedding to that song!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back