MS MS - Kaila Morris, 21, Columbus, Sept 2009

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=2972

Sept 19

Twenty-one-year-old Kaila Morris got into a van Thursday and hasn’t been home since.

Morris’ parents reported the part-time Mississippi State University student missing after her step father, Robert Triplett, saw her get into a van and leave her personal belongings behind when she was supposed to be headed to a friend’s house in Alabama.

“She was supposed to be going to a friend’s house in Carrollton, (Ala.) and never showed up,” said Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office Investi-gator, Lt. Tony Pe-rkins. She also had not been to any of her classes.

“It was a surprise thing. Usually when she meets friends she drives, so she can come home when she wants to,” said Bonnie Morris-Triplett, Morris’ mother.

Morris was last seen at her parents’ 181 Golding Road home.

“She left without her purse, billfold, money, credit cards or anything, possibly with someone in a van, dark-colored van,” said Perkins. “And she just hasn’t been seen since — no contact on her cell phone or anything else.

more at link

pic
http://www.cdispatch.com/images/photos/m_63v929192009103915PM.tif

She's still missing.

Officials still searching for missing Miss. State student

By Stephanie Taylor Staff Writer
Published: Monday, September 21, 2009 at 2:25 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, September 21, 2009 at 2:25 p.m.

A Mississippi State student who disappeared last week was on her way to visit a friend in Carrollton.

Kaila Morris, 21, left her parent’s home in Columbus, Miss. around 8 p.m. on Thursday. . .

Morris left with a friend who was driving a van or an SUV, Perkins said. She told her parents the friends’ name, but they didn’t hear her, he said. They walked outside to ask, but they had already left. They are not sure whether the friend is male or female.

“There is no evidence of a crime,” Perkins said. “We want to make sure that she’s O.K.”

. . .

<snipped>

A Mississippi college student vanished mysteriously last week without her purse, but local police say there is "no evidence of a crime" and are investigating whether Kaila Morris may have run away.

Morris, 21, left her parents' house in Columbus, Miss., to visit a friend about 8 p.m. last Thursday, Lowndes County Lt. Tony Perkins told The Tuscaloosa News.

The part-time Mississippi State student didn't take her purse, money or credit cards with her.

No one has reported seeing or hearing from Morris since, leaving authorities and her family baffled.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,553822,00.html?test=latestnews

Junior physical education major Kaila Morris, a Columbus resident, left her mother's house on Sept. 17 in a dark van, according to Lt. Tony Perkins of the Lowndes County Sherriff's office investigative division.

"She had told her stepfather she was leaving with a friend around 8 p.m. last Thursday to see another friend across the state line in Alabama," he said. "She never showed up."

Morris is described as being 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 230 pounds.

http://media.www.reflector-online.c...rtTime.Student.Reported.Missing-3778468.shtml

I would think that if a 21 year old woman was going to disappear on her own or "runaway" she would at least take her purse, cash and some clothes.

Smells like foul play to me.

Maz

:cow:

Here are two articles I found related to the Kaila Morris case. Sorry don't know how to link.

www.cdispatch.com

Missing woman's stepfather arrested for child *advertiser censored*, was on probation for attempted sexual battery

Missing woman&#8217;s stepfather has history of sex crimes

oh god, another S.O. in yet another family of a missing child?!?

I don't know how cops are able to live normal lives dealing with people like this daily

This case hits home for me, since I'm in MS. Would like to see if the great sleuthers here have some insight.

What's VERY troubling is that her stepfather, once convicted of sexual battery, has now been arrested on child *advertiser censored* and other charges.[/url]

Her Mom was away on vacation, and the step-dad (with previous and current sex charge) was the last to see her?

This one sounds so obvious to me...

Agree, Parisx2. Although LE isn't pointing the finger yet, maybe they're just gathering evidence. Wish we could hear from the best friend who she was supposed to visit that night (or was supposed to according to the step-dad).

LE is starting to wear out the good with 'no foul play' statements...we've heard it too many times the past week or so and THERE WAS FOUL PLAY!

I'd rather they just say they're still investigating circumstances.

Sorry for the rant but it's getting to be overwhelming.

hmmm....the 'stories' in 2 different articles don't add up about who she was going to see, i.e., did they know or didn't they?

"She had told her stepfather she was leaving with a friend around 8 p.m. last Thursday to see another friend across the state line in Alabama," Perkins told Mississippi State's paper The Reflector. "She never showed up."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,553822,00.html?test=latestnews

versus this one:

Morris-Triplett said her daughter mentioned the name of the friend with which she was riding, but they didn&#8217;t hear her. By the time Triplett made it outside to clarify, the van had left.

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=2972

maybe I'm missing something - but these statements seem to contradict.

From what I gather, they don't know who she left *with*, but they know where Kaila and the unknown driver were supposed to *end up* (across the state line at the best friend's house).

The first line you quoted I take to mean that she said the name, but he didn't make it out.

Don't know if I clarified anything for your or not! Thank you for taking a look at this case.

From what I gather, they don't know who she left *with*, but they know where Kaila and the unknown driver were supposed to *end up* (across the state line at the best friend's house).

The first line you quoted I take to mean that she said the name, but he didn't make it out.

Don't know if I clarified anything for your or not! Thank you for taking a look at this case.

Either the reporting is really bad, or stories don't sound right:

she was last seen by Robert Triplett leaving her parents&#8217; home on 181 Golding Road, in a dark-colored van or sport utility vehicle with an unknown person or people. Morris&#8217; mother, Bonnie Williamson Morris Triplett, was vacationing in Florida at the time.

source: http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=3166

soooo- why is the mom saying "they didn&#8217;t hear her. By the time Triplett made it outside to clarify, the van had left."

it's just confusing when mom supposedly isn't home when Kaila leaves, but news reports makes it sound as tho she was there, IYKWIM.

just continuing to think out loud here.

ETA: I guess 'Triplett' could be stepdad or mom, right?

there's a post on Kaila's Missing FB page which looks to be an update pasted in by commenter on behalf of Kaila's mom -- the pasted text says "The FBI is considering it a kidnapping."...that comment was posted on Sept.27.

anybody else finding anything that relates to Kaila's disappearance being a kidnapping?

21 Oct 2009 10:45am | Posted by Siobhan Riley | Local News
What Happened to Kaila Morris?

It's been more than a month since Kaila Morris disappeared and still no answers.

When WCBI News last talked with investigators, we asked them if 21-year old Kaila Morris' stepfather, Robert Triplett, Jr., was a suspect in the case.

Triplett is in jail following his arrest on child *advertiser censored* charges.

His criminal history begins in Louisiana in 1997. Triplett was originally convicted of forcible rape and sentenced to six years.

Those charges were reduced to simple battery when the victim refused to return to court.

"I know in my heart and my soul that there's only two reasons my daughter wouldn't be with me, or have contacted me, someone has entrapped her or she's with the Lord," said an emotional Bonnie Triplett.

It's been nearly five weeks since Kaila Morris went missing. Investigators still have very few answers - they can't even say for sure if the 21-year old is still alive.

Kaila's mom, Bonnie, was so desperate for answers that she contacted a psychic who she says has worked with the FBI and several police departments across the Southeast.

"He said that she's with the Lord and she didn't suffer long." WCBI News also asked Bonnie if the psychic indicated how she died, "Yes, but I'm not gonna say," Bonnie replied.

So does Robert Triplett have anything to do with the disappearance of his stepdaughter?

"I do not believe that he would harm her because of my love for her and I'm not sure that anyone is capable of knowing the feelings that a mother has of her child. But he knew that she was the most important thing in my life and it is hard for me to fathom that he would harm her," Bonnie added

http://www.wcbi.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1256139917&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

Search for Kaila Morris continues
October 24, 2009 11:18:00 PM

The search continues for a Columbus woman missing since Sept. 17.

Kaila Morris, 21, was last seen by her stepfather, Robert Triplett, leaving the house he shared with her mother, Bonnie Morris Triplett, at 181 Golding Road.

&#8220;We&#8217;re still looking,&#8221; said Lt. Tony Perkins of the Lowndes County Sheriff&#8217;s Office, which is investigating Morris&#8217; disappearance, along with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation and other law enforcement agencies. &#8220;We&#8217;re still doing property searches. We&#8217;re still following up on any leads we get and we&#8217;re still talking to people and interviewing folks. We always have hope (she&#8217;s alive), until there&#8217;s proof otherwise.&#8221;

&#8220;I understand they had the National Guard helicopters out searching different properties yesterday,&#8221; Bonnie Triplett, who was vacationing in Florida when her daughter was last seen by Robert Triplett, said Saturday. &#8220;They&#8217;re still interviewing people, talking to different people, some of the people she knew in Starkville, but there&#8217;s no leads yet that have panned out to anything.

&#8220;I am somewhat frustrated with the length of time it&#8217;s taking to interview people she knew,&#8221; she added. &#8220;That&#8217;s been a great concern of mine.&#8221;

&#8220;We have covered several, several areas,&#8221; said Kathy Doty, of the GTR K-9 Search Team, which was engaged by the LCSO, to help in the effort to find Morris.

&#8220;I have been searching for her since around the 20th when I got called out, and we started searching different locations,&#8221; Doty said, declining to offer specifics on search areas.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t know how much I can say since the investigation is ongoing,&#8221; she said

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=3483

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back