GMH Timeline with Discussion and Theories

Before that other thread closed someone claimed to know that Gary Hilton had a run in with his step father when he was 14. There are no records since he was underage. Realize no one questioned this at all?

I think that was from one of his boyhood acquaintances from Miami IIRC....at this point, with a trial coming up, I doubt that any of them will elaborate, have probs been asked to keep quiet.....

Does anyone know when his trial date is?
Thank you in advance

There are two subjects to be decided at the next hearing.

Snip http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...kes-up-pretrial-evidence-closure--trial-dates

Assistant Public Defender Ines Suber said she was strongly opposed to the release of pretrial evidence and criticized previous news articles that detailed elements of the case.

“They had the nerve to do their own investigation and were harassing witnesses,” Suber said of reporters. “No one was there to say you don’t have to talk.”

Lewis instructed the prosecution and defense to go through records in the case and highlight information they feel should be kept closed. Both sides will meet again with Lewis in an Oct. 23 hearing to discuss pretrial document closure. Lewis will make the final decision on which records should be released.

Lewis told both sides he wants to set a trial date during the Oct. 23 hearing.

Still waiting in the wings is the Acting U.S. Attorney Edward R. Ryan for the Western District of North Carolina in the deaths of the Bryants. That HQ office is located in Charlotte NC with a fully staffed branch office in Asheville.

The former U.S. Attorney from 2004 until earlier this year was Gretchen Shappert. She stepped down from her post in March 2009 to accept a job at Main Justice in DC. Her name was on a list of U.S. Attorneys the White House considered firing in 2007 in some sort of house cleaning plan. She was said to have been protected by the DOJ’s White House liaison, Monica Goodling. Shappert had prosecuted a Republican, Sam Currin, a former U.S. Attorney in North Carolina, in a fraud case just prior to the purge.

Three candidates have been recommended to Pres. Obama this past July.Peter Anderson, Danny Davis and Anne Tompkins. Each has a specialty in their background but they all sound capable of pursuing a criminal investigation and prosecution.

I bring this up because there is some thought that NC won't do anything until Pres. Obama selects a new U.S. Attorney for that district. Since the Homeland Security Bill was passed there is no time limit on putting a new person in that office so it wouldn't be inconceivable that Ryan stays in that chair for some time yet. Since that office has continued to successfully prosecute many cases this year I can't see them sitting on their hands awaiting the new successor given the amount of work this could involve.

At some point NC has to start looking at the evidence that went to Florida first before deciding what action to take. The outcome in that trial is a major part of the picture too. Then there is a rule that says if charges are filed they must come to trial within a fixed number of days (170). With Hilton secured in a facility in another state there is no rush to get him into court in NC nor is there a reason to sit around and wait. That office decided to handle the case on their own terms.

Hilton was seen wearing the backpack when he was hiking with Meredith Emerson. He has been said to remark that people aren't prepared to hike like he was.

When did Hilton ever hike? He car camped. He parked his van and took junk out of it. He told LE that he went on make believe Army maneuvers and LE may have seen him power walking, but hiking? Ever?

I have been reading older comments and came across not only talk about how the dog may have been a rouse but that backpack and the whole survivalist hiker thing may just have been a come on too. Even one of the witnesses said that backpack was only half full that day in Georgia.

No more than 5 miles. That is what one person said. No killer is going to hike more than 5 miles into the woods to kidnap somebody. They are going to stay very close to a hard road and trail head to get the person and get away.

Some of these situations discussed that impied Hilton is involved aren't that unique. There are many people and events seen around the south that fit the same description. For instance, this comment from 01-28-2008 here talks about something found in a hiking log.

a hiker on trailjournals who is currently hiking named stumpknocker posted on Tues, Jan 11, 2008 that he discovered an abandoned tent w/sleeping bag and blanket, pots and cups, water bag frozen solid, a can of ravioli, and a bunch of handwarmers. He said, "From the looks of things, it's been there for awhile."

How long is it supposed to take for a trial to happen? They say everyone has the right to a speedy trial, yet 2011 seems like a long way off. Not sure how "speedy" is defined in the law books, and i wonder if the public defender has some kind of play with that..

How long is it supposed to take for a trial to happen? They say everyone has the right to a speedy trial, yet 2011 seems like a long way off. Not sure how "speedy" is defined in the law books, and i wonder if the public defender has some kind of play with that..

Once Hilton's team asked for more time, that whole idea of a speedy trial flew out the window. It almost sounds like neither side is ready and it just might have been in his best interest to do the opposite of what he said he would do if taken to court in Florida. He said he was going to dig his heels in and go through all the motions. Suppose he hadn't have fought this trial so hard? Suppose he had forced the hand of the state attorney? Is there something each side is desperately trying to find before the trial?

Once Hilton's team asked for more time, that whole idea of a speedy trial flew out the window. It almost sounds like neither side is ready and it just might have been in his best interest to do the opposite of what he said he would do if taken to court in Florida. He said he was going to dig his heels in and go through all the motions. Suppose he hadn't have fought this trial so hard? Suppose he had forced the hand of the state attorney? Is there something each side is desperately trying to find before the trial?

I'm not sure Tater, although they may be trying to find more victims? ..or maybe evidence to tie him to some already found?.. i guess time will tell us.

Was glancing over the Asheville Citizen-Times story about the campsite find in Fannin County, some snippets below:

The campsite contained personal items and camping equipment. Turner did not know if any of the items were connected to criminal activity.

All the items have now been turned over to the state Department of Law Enforcement in Florida, where Hilton is awaiting trial for the murder of Cheryl Dunlap, of Tallahassee, Fla., said John Bankhead, spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

N.C. Bureau of Investigation officials have been made aware of the campsite. Florida authorities will contact them if any items can be connected to the Bryants' killings, Bankhead said.

Authorities are saying it doesn't look like anything connected to criminal activity was hidden but if Florida finds any tie to the Bryants' deaths they will get word to NC? It doesn't sit well with me for some reason that FL is running the show with whatever was found and will decide what NC might be interested in. What if there is something that might connect Hilton to crimes involving some other NC resident?

Was glancing over the Asheville Citizen-Times story about the campsite find in Fannin County, some snippets below:

The campsite contained personal items and camping equipment. Turner did not know if any of the items were connected to criminal activity.

All the items have now been turned over to the state Department of Law Enforcement in Florida, where Hilton is awaiting trial for the murder of Cheryl Dunlap, of Tallahassee, Fla., said John Bankhead, spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

N.C. Bureau of Investigation officials have been made aware of the campsite. Florida authorities will contact them if any items can be connected to the Bryants' killings, Bankhead said.

Authorities are saying it doesn't look like anything connected to criminal activity was hidden but if Florida finds any tie to the Bryants' deaths they will get word to NC? It doesn't sit well with me for some reason that FL is running the show with whatever was found and will decide what NC might be interested in. What if there is something that might connect Hilton to crimes involving some other NC resident?

Or Georgia?

O/T I sure miss Wolfscratch... He always seemed to be on top of everything.

Or Georgia?

O/T I sure miss Wolfscratch... He always seemed to be on top of everything.

Worth asking why Georgia isn't interested in anything found at that campsite. Who decides what matters as far as evidence goes? Is it simpler than what we have been led to believe?

Hilton said he took his captive hiking that next to last day. After that, around 4:30 pm he went to the Huddle House looking for a phone to use. He had no qualms about sitting inside yakking loudly for 20 minutes. His van was parked at a far corner, out of site but this is a man who said he didn't want to fill his gas tank up because a car was parked at the other side of the island. How are we to interpret the time he spent sitting in a booth at the Huddle House if Meredith Emerson was out in the van? He wasn't worried about keeping an eye on the van then was he? Could he see the van from his vantage point?

He was very public. There are comments that describe how he was always camped where he didn't have any business. How do you reconcile the very private and secretive acts like that discovery of camping gear with being parked on public land or a private hunt club and being checked out by the law over and over and simply chased off?

I think if a person was to sit down and make a list of all the reported encounters with Hilton it wouldn't amount to a long list with all that much real information. There were many grizzled hikers. Some had dogs. Some did not. Some had big knives on their belts. Some had guns they flashed from their waist. I am talking about both the people reported to be Hilton and those making the report.

I haven't spent time researching this but Sam Rael attended both undergraduate and law school at Yale University. Then he came to Atlanta.

Greetings, first time poster. I've been keeping up with GMH since ME was abducted and believe that he is responsible for many many unsolved cases and missing persons - just so you know my bottom line. The purpose of my post today is an inquiry - related to the vehicle tag on the van he was driving when arrested in Atlanta area in Jan 2008. Do any of you fellow sluths know whether the tag was identified as to it's owner?
The couple that saw GMH unloading the van called 911; the entire 911 call tape was released to the media. During the call, the male was describing the van and said it had a North Carolina tag. Does anyone know whether GMH had a legit NC tag or whether the tag was stolen and if so to whom it belonged?

Greetings, first time poster. I've been keeping up with GMH since ME was abducted and believe that he is responsible for many many unsolved cases and missing persons - just so you know my bottom line. The purpose of my post today is an inquiry - related to the vehicle tag on the van he was driving when arrested in Atlanta area in Jan 2008. Do any of you fellow sluths know whether the tag was identified as to it's owner?
The couple that saw GMH unloading the van called 911; the entire 911 call tape was released to the media. During the call, the male was describing the van and said it had a North Carolina tag. Does anyone know whether GMH had a legit NC tag or whether the tag was stolen and if so to whom it belonged?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58653"]Attention all Members - Printing False Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
That should answer your question about the theft of the tag.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back