Starting from Scratch-SSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

believe09

Reaction score
Via hypnosis in March of 2009, BK recalled this possible combination for his SSN
3x5-44-xxxx
3x5-45-xxxx

It is worth noting that I have not come up with a target state that has issued an ssn with a 45 as the group number, so I think it is fair to set that aside and concentrate on the first one he recalled.

Originally Posted by mysticrose [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4274056#post4274056"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]
I did not see this posted here, I just came across this info on this site. It shows he remembers part of a social security # that is consistent w/ Michigan

Amnesia victim. White male btwn 50-60 yrs old. Well-mannered. Professional. Found unconscious near Burger King dumpster in the Savannah, GA area on 31 Aug 2004. Remembers part of SSN that is consistent with Michigan]

http://americasmissingadults.com/Default.asp?pagenum=27

Originally Posted by dreamweaver [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4274578#post4274578"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]
http://www.psychologyinlife.com/
>snipped<
A person under hypnosis is able to recall certain bits of information, as they try to recreate the scenario in the person’s mind. Take Benjaman Kyle for example (mentioned in Part 1). He was unable to remember anything about his past life, especially not anything that could help him. After a brief session of hypnosis, he was able to recall several digits of his social security number, narrowing his hometown to somewhere in Arizona.

I thought Benjaman Kyle's ssn memories were consistent with Indiana.
But mysticrose found a site that says Michigan.
The above site says Arizona.
?????
Odd.

Originally Posted by dreamweaver [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4274609#post4274609"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]
post number 205 on BK thread
believe09's info on ssn.

Originally Posted by dreamweaver [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4274609#post4274609"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]
post number 205 on BK thread
believe09's info on ssn.

Michigan??? 3x5-44-xxxx.

Here is my post:
snip" http://people.howstuffworks.com/soci...ty-number2.htm

So for example,
303-317 State of Indiana

318-361 State of Illinois

362-386 State of MI

387-399 State of WI

Group numbers are used to break up the area numbers into smaller groups. They are 01-99....but then it gets better. The odd numbers between 01-09 were assigned first. Then even numbers between 10-98 were assigned next. (Mr. K's group) After that, the numbers 02-08 are assigned and then 11-99, odd numbers."snip

I suppose it is possible-but I went through how and when the group numbers were assigned. The question then becomes have the numbers starting 365-44, 375-44 and 385-44 been assigned yet. The same can be said for all of the other states. Indiana assigned 315-44 in the 50's.

Arizona??? Arizona is 526-527.

How do we know he was remembering HIS SSN?
How do we know he wasn't remembering part of a phone number?

Structure of Social Security Numbers
A Social Security Number (SSN) consists of nine digits, commonly written as three fields separated by hyphens: AAA-GG-SSSS. The first three-digit field is called the "area number". The central, two-digit field is called the "group number". The final, four-digit field is called the "serial number".

The process of assigning numbers has been changed at least twice. Until 1965, only half the group numbers were used. Before 1972, numbers were assigned by field offices; since 1972, they have all been assigned by the central office. The order in which numbers were assigned was changed in the 1972 transition. There may have been other changes, but it's difficult to get information on how things used to be done.

303-317 IN
318-361 IL
362-386 MI
387-399 WI

Group Numbers

The group number is not related to geography but rather to the order in which SSNs are issued for a particular area. Before 1965, only half the group numbers were used: odd numbers were used below 10 and even numbers were used above 9. In 1965 the system was changed so assignments continued with the low even numbers and the high odd numbers. So, group numbers for each area number are assigned in the following order:

1. Odd numbers, 01 to 09
2. Even numbers, 10 to 98
3. Even numbers, 02 to 08
4. Odd numbers, 11 to 99

Group codes of "00" aren't assigned

In each region, all possible area numbers are assigned with each group number before using the next group number. This means the group numbers can be used to find a chronological ordering of SSNs within a region. When new group numbers are assigned to a state, the old numbers are usually used up first.

SSA publishes a list every month of the highest group assigned for each SSN Area. For example, if the highest group assigned for area 999 is 72, then we know that the number 999-04-1234 is an invalid number because even Groups under 9 have not yet been assigned.

Serial Numbers

Serial numbers are assigned in chronological order within each area and group number as the applications are processed. Serial number "0000" is never used. Before 1965, when number assignment was transferred from field offices to the central office, serial numbers may have been assigned in a strange order. (Some sources claim that 2000 and 7000 series numbers were assigned out of order. That no longer seems to be the case.) Currently, the serial numbers are assigned in strictly increasing order with each area and group combination.

The SSN Numbering Scheme

Social Security Number Allocations

I'm trying to make sense of some of ours -
We had 2 people come through Ellis Island in 50's
Their 1st numbers are not the same but the 2nd are.

Thanks Rose for bring that up, about a phone number. I had that same thought. I did a fast check, here are the results

305 (area code)-Miami Florida and does use 44- 448, 444, 442, 446, 440, 443, 445, and 447
315 -NY and does use 44 and 45
325 -TX and does use 44
345 is used in the Cayman's
385 is used in Utah

Reminder:
If Benjaman Kyle is around 60 yrs old, he would have gone into
his local SSA office to get his ssn.
That field office would have typewritten the next ssn on their list
onto a ssa card for him.

If he was 16 yrs old, and applied for his ssn, it would be around 1964.

ot:
I received my ssn when I was 16.
My best friend and I went together
to get our ssn cards.
Her number, the ending digit, is one
number off from mine.
The year, 1963.

Thanks Rose for bring that up, about a phone number. I had that same thought. I did a fast check, here are the results

305 (area code)-Miami Florida and does use 44- 448, 444, 442, 446, 440, 443, 445, and 447
325 -TX and does use 44
385 is used in Utah
===============================================

If he is recalling numbers, did the hypnotist ask him about
any numbers or was it for a ssn?
If phone numbers, would it be his most recent phone number
or would it be the phone number his family had
when he was a child or a teen?

Remember:
Before area codes, we had word prefixes:
as in KLondike 222 1111...........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_(telephone_number)

Phone numbers:

Just to add to the pot:
Not every family had a phone in the 1950's.
More families had a phone in the 1960's.

ot:
My family did not get a phone until I was 16 yrs old.

325 -TX and does use 44
385 is used in Utah

Thank you Carol.

If he is recalling numbers, did the hypnotist ask him about
any numbers or was it for a ssn?
If phone numbers, would it be his most recent phone number
or would it be the phone number his family had
when he was a child or a teen?

Remember:
Before area codes, we had word prefixes:
as in KLondike 222 1111...........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_(telephone_number)

See, and that's the thing.. as you said, how do we know why they think it was a SS number and not a phone number; and if it's really a phone number it may have nothing to do with anything; for all we know it's a pizza place down the street from his house.

With SS #'s; there didn't seem to be a good system back then (when he would have gotten one).

another thought.. it would be nice if Believe could speak to the hypnotist to get better answers. This could be a wild goose chase that ends up being posted somewhere as one of his real memories.

Thank you Carol.

See, and that's the thing.. as you said, how do we know why they think it was a SS number and not a phone number; and if it's really a phone number it may have nothing to do with anything; for all we know it's a pizza place down the street from his house.

With SS #'s; there didn't seem to be a good system back then (when he would have gotten one).

another thought.. it would be nice if Believe could speak to the hypnotist to get better answers. This could be a wild goose chase that ends up being posted somewhere as one of his real memories.
I think, but don't quote me, Ben would have recieved something on this from the hypnotist. Maybe a recording of the session, would be my guess.

You are right Dream, and even by the mid 70's people had party lines. When we moved to rural upstate NY in the mid 70's, we had a party-line. Even if it is a social Sec #, we don't necessarily know if it is his...I have my husbands memorized as well, and I am guessing many parents of school aged kids have their childrens memorized also.
Phone numbers:

Just to add to the pot:
Not every family had a phone in the 1950's.
More families had a phone in the 1960's.

ot:
My family did not get a phone until I was 16 yrs old.

I think, but don't quote me, Ben would have recieved something on this from the hypnotist. Maybe a recording of the session, would be my guess.

I spoke with the hypnotist at length-he was a forensic hypnotist who is a resource for LE internationally. The session included a request for his SSN. 3x5-44-xxxx or 3x5-45-xxxx is what BK came up with. 45 can be ruled out simply because I do not believe it has been used yet.....

I spoke with the hypnotist at length-he was a forensic hypnotist who is a resource for LE internationally. The session included a request for his SSN. 3x5-44-xxxx or 3x5-45-xxxx is what BK came up with. 45 can be ruled out simply because I do not believe it has been used yet.....
Then we can pretty much say this is a SS#.

Ok--I am starting a project and recruiting people to help me with this. It helps if you have an ancestry account.

One of the options we have is that BK was missing and declared dead, so if we can find someone from SSDI that raises a red flag, we can research them further as a potential match to BK. I am going through the SSDI by the partial SS search numbers and gathering names. At this point in time, I am only doing searches using an Aug birth month, but am not using a birth year. I included dates after 2004 because someone may have declared him dead after 2004. We can expand the search perimeters later if we need to.

Once I have a list, I will post it here, and we can each take names and start to research the names further. For example, I did a search for 305-44 tonight on SSDI. I eliminated females from my list, as well as people who were born before 1935. I have six pages worth of data, and a few names already popped out at me as needing further research, but I want to see what you guys think. Big example, the #1 name is Herman Powell: I think we already looked into this person, but I am still going to research this.

There is six pages worth of names. As an aside, I have been to Indiana twice and it was a fine place, but apparently people really like to stay there, as I was surprised at the number of people who were born and died in IN; a much larger proportion than those who moved out of state. So...here is the first list; I will add more in a day or so. I will take the first 20 names to research: Herman Powell to and including Donald Schultz. Now, when researching people, should we post info for everyone to see, or how should we handle this? SHould I start a new thread for SSDI research?

Attachments

• SSDI Aug 305 44 search.pdf
    201.7 KB · Views: 10
I don't know if this helps at all, but in the 60's and 70's, at least in IL, a lot of us got our SSN in school. I applied in fifth grade and all the SSN for that class are consecutive. I learned this some time later when an old classmate was showing me a document that had her social on it. At first I thought it was mine, it was one off! Then a little research with some other old classmates showed they did appear all in one group. Like I said,not sure this helps but could be useful to know. Oh and DH's is close to a friend of his who was in the class he was in when he got his.

Ok--I am starting a project and recruiting people to help me with this. It helps if you have an ancestry account.

One of the options we have is that BK was missing and declared dead, so if we can find someone from SSDI that raises a red flag, we can research them further as a potential match to BK. I am going through the SSDI by the partial SS search numbers and gathering names. At this point in time, I am only doing searches using an Aug birth month, but am not using a birth year. I included dates after 2004 because someone may have declared him dead after 2004. We can expand the search perimeters later if we need to.

Once I have a list, I will post it here, and we can each take names and start to research the names further. For example, I did a search for 305-44 tonight on SSDI. I eliminated females from my list, as well as people who were born before 1935. I have six pages worth of data, and a few names already popped out at me as needing further research, but I want to see what you guys think. Big example, the #1 name is Herman Powell: I think we already looked into this person, but I am still going to research this.

There is six pages worth of names. As an aside, I have been to Indiana twice and it was a fine place, but apparently people really like to stay there, as I was surprised at the number of people who were born and died in IN; a much larger proportion than those who moved out of state. So...here is the first list; I will add more in a day or so. I will take the first 20 names to research: Herman Powell to and including Donald Schultz. Now, when researching people, should we post info for everyone to see, or how should we handle this? SHould I start a new thread for SSDI research?

I am in-Start a new thread called the SSDI?Ancestry Project????

I don't know if this helps at all, but in the 60's and 70's, at least in IL, a lot of us got our SSN in school. I applied in fifth grade and all the SSN for that class are consecutive. I learned this some time later when an old classmate was showing me a document that had her social on it. At first I thought it was mine, it was one off! Then a little research with some other old classmates showed they did appear all in one group. Like I said,not sure this helps but could be useful to know. Oh and DH's is close to a friend of his who was in the class he was in when he got his.

THANK YOU-I wonder if this was a practice in public and parochial schools???? Did you go to a public school or private??

===================================================

I just wanted to say that Carolwood has done a lot of this work already.
Getting her feedback would be very helpful.

And I do not have an ancestry account.
Willing to look though.

THANK YOU-I wonder if this was a practice in public and parochial schools???? Did you go to a public school or private??

Both DH and I attended public when we got our SSN. However, I was talking to a friend this am about this, she went to a Catholic school at the same time and she got hers through a class project as well.

What I am thinking, if we could find out the first numbers, or whatever and can we some how look for numbers on the various genealogy sites? If so, if we found close ones, it might narrow it down, where the deceased went to school, could be then were BK went to school.

Both DH and I attended public when we got our SSN. However, I was talking to a friend this am about this, she went to a Catholic school at the same time and she got hers through a class project as well.

What I am thinking, if we could find out the first numbers, or whatever and can we some how look for numbers on the various genealogy sites? If so, if we found close ones, it might narrow it down, where the deceased went to school, could be then were BK went to school.

I guess it depends on what year you did this.
I graduated in 1983 - I didn't get mine in school.

My hubby graduated in 1976, he said he got his by filling out a card that was at the post office.
He says he was really young when he did this, he thinks 10 or 11.

He like me has always worked.

Really, we need an online Database of when SSN's were assigned based on knowing certain digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74