Lowell Correctional Institution - Questions

lisalei321

Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL
Reaction score
As many of you may know, my oldest DD, made the mistake of getting involved with the drug culture.

The result of this is that she spent three years in the Florida Correctional System (recently).

To keep another thread from going off track, if you have any questions regarding Lowell, or the County Jail, feel free to ask them here, and I'll give you "first hand" knowledge of what goes on.

As many of you may know, my oldest DD, made the mistake of getting involved with the drug culture.

The result of this is that she spent three years in the Florida Correctional System (recently).

To keep another thread from going off track, if you have any questions regarding Lowell, or the County Jail, feel free to ask them here, and I'll give you "first hand" knowledge of what goes on.
So sorry that YOU had to go through that. I feel your pain...trust me...have had a child veer off on that road and NOT a good place at all! That said,

is this a likely location where Casey would be sent if she, I mean when she gets convicted?

How were the conditions in the OC jail as far as cleanliness, food, treatment by guards etc. if you don't mind to tell...:blushing:

Hi lisalei and thanks for starting this thread! This is the link to Lowell:http://www.dc.state.fl.us/FACILITIES/region3/314.html

Is that a fair representation of what the facility is like?
Thank-you.jpg

I can attest to what I saw...DD is still at work, I'll make her sit with me tomorrow and answer all the questions :)

The visitation area's are a/c'd, and the guards were very respectful to those coming in (both at the Jail and the Prison). For contact visitation, you have to be searched and you can't take anything in with you (they hold your ID at the main entrance). Some Correctional officers will tell you how your child (or I imagine the inmate your visiting) is doing, and if they're having any problems, or need something sent (not all of them).

ETA - BTW, I go to bed around 8pm EST, so any questions asked will be answered first thing in the morning LOL

Just wanted to thank you for doing this - and {{{hugs}}}} to you and your DD for sharing your experience. So glad that she's on this side of the experience!

Lisalei, thanks for the thread, I have no clue how jail/prisons work. casey has changed drastically since being incarcerated, I'm wondering if there is place outdoors or indoors for inmates to get exercise. Historically we know she has had fits & temper tantrums, if she is carrying on there for whatever her reasons, ( like not wanting to show up in court) what do they do with her? Would she be here up until & during her trial?

DH and I watch a lot of forensic shows and I've noticed that suspects/inmates who've been incarcerated for a while either bulk up and become very muscular, or lose an extreme amount of weight. If prisoners aren't fed a well balanced meal, how do the bulked up inmates do so? This doesn't necessarily relate to KC, but I've always been curious about this.

Also, isn't KC allowed an hour or so a day to go outside in the sunlight?

How easy is it to further your education there? Is that something available to everyone or do you have to earn it? What kinds of degrees can you obtain?

All answers are according to DD

So sorry that YOU had to go through that. I feel your pain...trust me...have had a child veer off on that road and NOT a good place at all! That said,

is this a likely location where Casey would be sent if she, I mean when she gets convicted?

How were the conditions in the OC jail as far as cleanliness, food, treatment by guards etc. if you don't mind to tell...:blushing:

Yes she is most likely to be sent to Lowell (if convicted w/dp) in Closed management. Which means 3 showers a week, in her cell 23 hours a day, with one hour out in a "cage" outside, the only contact she'll have is if another inmate is in a "cage" as well.

DD says your an inmate, not a guest...and inmates have no rights other than medical treatment and that's based on "need"

Is that where women on death row are housed?

See above...

Lisalei, thanks for the thread, I have no clue how jail/prisons work. casey has changed drastically since being incarcerated, I'm wondering if there is place outdoors or indoors for inmates to get exercise. Historically we know she has had fits & temper tantrums, if she is carrying on there for whatever her reasons, ( like not wanting to show up in court) what do they do with her? Would she be here up until & during her trial?

Not in Closed Management.

What was a typical day like?

Did the women get along with each other or was there a lot of violence?

Thanks.

In closed management...boring!!! No contact still applies...

How easy is it to further your education there? Is that something available to everyone or do you have to earn it? What kinds of degrees can you obtain?

MD Mommy -<DD snorted through her nose on this question LOL> - No, not if you are eligable to work outside the gates, and if your not, then you work inside, and for what classes that are offered, it depends how long your going to be incarcerated, and what the waiting list is for them (most lists are from 18months min to 3 years or better, depending on the class).

HTH :)

Thank You for starting this thread and answering our questions.

Will Casey always be kept separate from other prisoners then? Will she ever be able to make friends with anybody there?

Just how bad is the food in prison? It sounds like visitors are treated respectfully. Would you say the prisoners are treated fairly good?

So glad you're out and you're doing good.

Thank You for starting this thread and answering our questions.

Will Casey always be kept separate from other prisoners then? Will she ever be able to make friends with anybody there?

Just how bad is the food in prison? It sounds like visitors are treated respectfully. Would you say the prisoners are treated fairly good?

So glad you're out and you're doing good.
<pointing up----I know you meant that you're glad my daughter is out and doing well :))

According to my Dear Daughter...If KC is in Closed Management (Death Row inmates) then yes she will always be kept from other prisoners.

The food apparently is so bad, the inmates survive on canteen food, the ones who have no one supporting them on the outside either trade for canteen food or just try not to eat.

I'm not sure how to define if they are treated well? They're inmates, and every moment of their existance is regulated and they are made aware of it every second of every day.

My daughter was lucky...she qualified as "low security" she had a job "landscaping" for the state, so she was out in the sun 6 out of 7 days a week and had family supporting her (not me, other than birthday's or holidays, sorry I'm hardheaded about that), but her Grandparents and various other Aunt/Uncles did

hi lisalei, i have a friend in lowell and she has been having a problem with a certain guard harassing her. has your daughter had any problem with any guards there? or are they generally respectful to her? thank you!

my friend in there said that when somebody gets in trouble they get sent to "jail". which is what the call it in lowell.
this is a great topic, thank you for starting it. i'm sure a lot of people have questions, even just out of curiousity of what its like.

Getting sent to jail is the same as "closed management", and thankfully my DD is now out of the "correctional system"

DD says there's good correctional officers and not so good ones...she never complained either way...Sorry I couldn't help there...

lisalei,

Thank your daughter for answering our questions. I noticed you commented that you did not send $$ but other family members did. I don't know your current relationship with her, but if she was willing to answer our questions for you, then I think you have clearly done something right. Kids make mistakes, and they need consequences regardless of their age, but I honestly feel that tough love if often warranted if not NEEDED in order to make them take responsibility for their actions. I wish KC's family had held her accountable as this case could likely have been avoided. You sound like a great mom. Your DD is lucky to have you.

Thank You Lisalei321 and DD for your information. I admire both of you for getting through that bad time, and moving on from it.

Lisalei321 and DD, I'm glad you survived that experience, and I'm wishing you both much happier days now and in the future.

I can't imagine how Casey is going to get enough canteen/snack food to keep her full. She's gone through a lot of money already. What I really can't imagine is how she'll not be part of those around her, being kept separate like she's a ghost amoung the living.

lisalei321 and DD: thank you :blushing: for taking the time to share your experiences, good and bad, with us. We appreciate and respect and are thankful for your truthfulness and willingness to open up to us. :blushing: Not alot of people would be willing to do what you both just did. Thanks for that :eek:)

Awww, shucks...<kicking feet in the dirt>

Yes, overall she's a good kid, she made a mistake that she'll never make again, and she paid for it. I couldn't deny what she did, she was arrested in my yard, by an officer that I used to work with (talk about your OMG moment), as a matter of fact, I argued with him that it couldn't be her, till I opened the trunk of her car for him, at that point I just handed him my keys to her car and asked if I could hug her goodbye (he let me btw).

I never sent money other than her birthday and holidays, just because it went against everything I believed in, she understood (she didn't like it, but she understood), but she got something in the mail from me every day, a letter, a postcard, occasionally a book (those have to be sent from amazon). And I drove up once a month to visit her (and it's hike from where we live).

I supported the fact that she never tried to blame it on anyone else, or tried to say she had been framed...

She now works full time and goes to school part-time, and is doing really well.

Thanks for all the good wishes and support :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back