Lesbian High School Student Told She Can't Wear Tuxedo In Yearbook

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Another one that makes me bang my head on my keyboard:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/16/ceara-sturgis-lesbian-hig_n_323968.html

Everyone at Wesson Attendance Center knows 17-year-old Ceara Sturgis is gay because she's never tried to hide it.

But when Sturgis – an honor student, trumpet player and goalie on the school's soccer team – wanted her senior photograph in a tuxedo used in the 2009-10 yearbook, school officials balked. Traditionally, female students dress in drapes and males wear tuxedos.

and

"You can't discriminate against somebody because they're not masculine enough or because they're not feminine enough. She's making an expression of her sexual orientation through this picture and that invokes First Amendment protection," Bennett said.

much more at link

Gosh this week is filled with progressive thinkers, (sarcasm). Yet another case of ridiculousness masking prejudice. This does seem fairly clear cut in its resolution however, if the rules don't state against it, Ceara should win this one. Yet it is sad that she should have to spend time defending herself and her choices. JMO.

So if she wasn't a lesbian could she wear a tuxedo?

So by forcing her to wear a drape or gown it's going to make her NOT gay? Give the kids two options, tuxedo or drape. Pick between the two and leave it be.

These cases pizz me off. She will not be less gay if she wears the drape. She will not be more gay if she wears the tuxedo. Wearing the tux will not cause other students to become gay. Therefore, the school should butt out and if they worry about it happening again, then write a rule about it. No rule, no way to enforce what is, essentially, personal opinion of the school officials.
The issue here is the school's image. They probably just want this girl to hurry up and graduate so they can be rid of her, since she doesn't fit the mold. They seem to be making it so that they are not faced with a constant reminder of her choices and differences in the yearbook. It's all about image.

How ridiculous! I wore a full-dress black tux with tails to my HS prom in 1978. It was the same year Sallyl Struthers wore one to the Academy Awards.

I was gay, but I didn't know it at the time--ha ha, for all it matters!! People who concern themselves with stuff like this should find some meaningful cause to focus on.

Oh. On edit: I should have stated that my picture was in the yearbook, too.

I think they should just be glad that it's one more student that's graduating. There are too many kids dropping out, especially those that don't socially "fit". God bless her, congratulate her, and let her wear the stinkin' tuxedo. Who cares? Really?

Well now, there's some perspective on it! You go, lizzybeth! :)

I think women look great in a tux. It doesn't matter whether you're gay or not GEEZ! Diane Keaton wears some wacky clothes but she has always looked best in a tux!!

Really? They are going to give this HONOR STUDENT a hard time about wearing a tuxedo when there are kids KILLING kids at school...setting them on fire...beating them to death. Why don't the worry about something *important* instead of harassing this poor girl?

Who gives a rat's a$$ what she wears in the photo?! At least she's wearing clothes! Half the girls these days don't even wear panties!

"dress in drapes"? i have never ever heard this terminology before. is it a regional thing i guess? sounds like the ladies have to wear curtains.

"dress in drapes"? i have never ever heard this terminology before. is it a regional thing i guess? sounds like the ladies have to wear curtains.

That was my thought. It might be a regional thing. I killed an entire thread once by saying davenport when I meant couch.
But when I read it, the first thing I thought was that they meant literal drapes, like curtains.

Ha. I'd rather have my daughter wear a tux as be seen in something as dopey as that. Is that like the female version of a "dickie"? It also looks like what my hairdresser puts on me to get my haircut. Whoever came up with that stupid idea??

Gay, lesbian, trans, straight or any other letter of the GLBTQAII alphabet soup....nobody should be able to tell anyone else what to wear in their OWN senior photo!

Kudos to this girl for being able to be out and proud in high school, a time when doing just that can be so hard. I hope this works out for her.

Gay, lesbian, trans, straight or any other letter of the GLBTQAII alphabet soup....nobody should be able to tell anyone else what to wear in their OWN senior photo!

Kudos to this girl for being able to be out and proud in high school, a time when doing just that can be so hard. I hope this works out for her.

Hey, Idaho, You! What about me?? I did it in 1978!! Ha ha, no, though, I'm just kidding--it's a lot harder to do it now. In nowhereville, Ohio, in 1978, nobody even knew what to make of it, let alone know how to go about stopping me!

Hey, Idaho, You! What about me?? I did it in 1978!! Ha ha, no, though, I'm just kidding--it's a lot harder to do it now. In nowhereville, Ohio, in 1978, nobody even knew what to make of it, let alone know how to go about stopping me!

Kudos to you as well, then! :) It can be hard at any time! Not that I know first hand, cuz I've never had to do it. But heck, just being a high schooler can be hard. I have major respect for anyone who can be out and proud, especially at that age. Or any age for that matter.

And not_my_kids, I LOLed at your comment about curtains. And I have to agree with you. But then again, the only reason I wore a dress in any of my senior photos was because my mother made me, lol. But I don't think she could have forced any curtains on me, though.

Really? They are going to give this HONOR STUDENT a hard time about wearing a tuxedo when there are kids KILLING kids at school...setting them on fire...beating them to death. Why don't the worry about something *important* instead of harassing this poor girl?

Who gives a rat's a$$ what she wears in the photo?! At least she's wearing clothes! Half the girls these days don't even wear panties!
I AGREE COMPLETELY!

With the state of our educational system, this is what they choose to worry about? I am offended.

They need to stop trying to make these students carbon copies of each other, and allow them to embrace their individuality.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back