Graduation speaker scolds parents for their too-casual garb

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Generating boos and red faces, a speaker from an American Legion post lashed out at parents for how they were dressed yesterday during a fifth-grade graduation ceremony at PS 8 in Great Kills.

After presenting two students with awards for patriotism and citizenship, Harry Krone of the Watkins-Kellett Post said, "This is a special day for your children. This isn't a bowling alley or a supermarket.
Krone, a past county commander with the American Legion, was unable to finish his address because of the audience response.

His unsolicited critique came only minutes after Borough President James Molinaro had congratulated the 10- and 11-year-old graduates.

More than 200 family members packed the crowded indoor assembly -- facing still air and warm temperatures -- to honor the 106 graduates of the elementary school.

According to parents, a letter from the school had been sent home with students prior to the ceremony, advising attendees to dress "appropriately." However, school officials would not confirm if such a letter had been issued.

The outfits worn by the audience on the first full day of summer ranged from suits and dresses to shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops.

"Maybe if there was some air conditioning in here some people might dress more appropriately," said Janet Rosario of Clifton, who had to stand for the entire two-hour ceremony.

"Why should we be dressed in ball gowns?" asked Rosemarie Cillo, who came from Brooklyn to see her granddaughter graduate. Mrs. Cillo said she resented Krone's assailing them as if they were dressed like "bums."

http://silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1087912058172350.xml

On one hand I can see how it wasn't this man's place to say anything but I know from expirence how Ive seen some parents show up at school functions that was not appropriate (My son's elemtary school-OMG!-some of the Moms looked like they should be at a strip club NOT their children's Christmas pagaent!)I have my own way of dressing but I want my children to be proud of their Mom and there's a difference in how I dress when I go out and when Im at my kids' school or out w/ them.

When I was in 5th grade, there was no Graduation ceremony. At that age, it was just EXPECTED that you would move on to the next grade and not be "honored" for something you were supposed to do anyway. Maybe some of these parents felt the same way and dressed accordingly.

Did your school only go up to 5th grade? or did it go to 8th grade like mine.

We never had any ceremony for 5th grade.... give me a break. But, the school my daughter goes to now only goes to 5th - then they graduate to a new school next fall - so it is a big deal for the kids and they have a ceremony/party at the school.

There are few things I agree with Dr. Laura about, but this is one! I too feel that there should be one graduation, at the end of high school (and then college of course!) and to celebrate finishing each stage below that kind of diminishes the high school graduation importance!

We have a party for the 5th graders moving on, as well as the 8th graders on their way to high school...after all, they pretty much just want to have fun by the end of the year anyway!

Casshew, did you decide where your daughter is going to school next year? I know you were thinking of the private school....did that pan out?

Lynie

lynie said:
Casshew, did you decide where your daughter is going to school next year? I know you were thinking of the private school....did that pan out?
Well when I was in the middle of debating.. one day sure she was going to the new school, one day sure she was staying where she was... back and forth, back and forth.... one afternoon I got a call from her school saying she was sick and to come pick her up.

Our office is literally 5 minutes from her school and it is a 4 minute walk from the school home. It dawned on me ~ if she had been at the other school it would have been over 30 minutes ~ past Toronto Airport to get to her and in rush hour it would have been 45 minutes just to get there and then the same back. I started thinking about snow! and how bad it gets here in winter.

I realized I just wasn't ready to let her be that far away from me, I am too much of a control freak. I would be worried all the time about her commuting in the busy traffic and if I had to go get her.

Maybe when she is a little older. She has one more year left at her school then she has to change to a grade 6/7/8 school. I will think about this again next year as I have no idea what school she is going to next.

Thanx for asking!

Wow! Don't know that I could do that either!! To be that far out of reach of our little ones when they need us...I would hate it....

I was in the school office a couple of years ago and a girl came into the health room looking very pale. Fourth or fifth grader...we called her mom who worked in downtown Portland...at least a half hour away. By the time she got to the school, paramedics were there working on her as she was having trouble breathing and was going in and out of conscienceness (sp). Had an infection in the lining of her brain which after 9 days in the hospital was taken care of!

I know some people do not have a choice regarding where they work, and how quickly they could get to their kids but that was an eye-opener for me! I think you have made a good choice for your little one! Lynette

Casshew said:
Did your school only go up to 5th grade? or did it go to 8th grade like mine.

We never had any ceremony for 5th grade.... give me a break. But, the school my daughter goes to now only goes to 5th - then they graduate to a new school next fall - so it is a big deal for the kids and they have a ceremony/party at the school.

My elementary school went to 6th, at which point we moved on to Jr. High which went to 9th, and then there was high school. The only one which ever had a graduation ceremony or anything special was high school, for me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back