CANADA Canada - Allan 'Kenley' Matheson, 20, Wolfville, NS, 21 Sept 1992

Danaya

Reaction score
doe network link

The Doe Network:
Case File 427DMNS

Allan Kenley Matheson
Missing since September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 8, 1972
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 150 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Green eyes; brown hair. Light to fair complexion; slender build. He is right-handed.
Clothing: He was last seen wearing a Helly Hanson nylon mountain jacket, blue denim Levi 509 jeans, a red and black back pack, brown loafers and a purple ball cap (possibly 'Los Angeles Lakers'). He was also wearing a gold hoop earring in his left ear. He tended to almost always wear a baseball cap of some sort.
AKA: While Allan Kenley Matheson has always been called Kenley, he may be using the names Ken, Al, Allan, or using similar sounding names while retaining the same initials.
Other: Matheson is a very avid reader and is seldom without a book. He is an enthusiastic hiker and dirt biker. Athletically, Matheson is a very good swimmer. His favorite sport is NBA basketball and he is also a hearty Montreal Canadiens hockey fan.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Matheson disappeared from his residence on the morning of September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia. The university science student from Port Hawkesbury, N.S., was last seen that September afternoon in downtown Wolfville.
Prior to his disappearance, Allan Kenley Matheson had motorcycled, walked and hitchiked extensively throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico and Guatemala.

Attachments

• al.jpg
    al.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for starting this, Danaya.

I am doing some research, and I will be back.

I found a few news links and all the police did when he went missing was a weekend search in the woods looking for clues. In 2005 they did another search of a heavily wooded area in Wolfville and found nothing. This is an excerpt:
Police did not suspect foul play and the investigation continues to centre on the possibility of finding skeletal remains of Kenley's body in the area he was last seen.

Porchlight link with articles

I am going to PM his cousin as he posted here two days ago but hasn't been back. I'm thinking he might get an alert in his e-mail that he's recieved a PM.

Thank you for creating this thread. It does appear that at the time the police suspected kenley left of his own will and a serious search was not conducted. I haven't found a link but I know within a couple of years of his disappearance divers searched a body of water that was considered a place of interest in the case but nothing turned up. As for the search in 2005, I don't think the family knows why that was considered important - my uncle heard about it through the media. It didn't turn out fruitful either - no sign of Kenley.

Caper, do you have a theory you'd like to share? Is it possible he went hiking and got hurt?

Thank you for creating this thread. It does appear that at the time the police suspected kenley left of his own will and a serious search was not conducted. I haven't found a link but I know within a couple of years of his disappearance divers searched a body of water that was considered a place of interest in the case but nothing turned up. As for the search in 2005, I don't think the family knows why that was considered important - my uncle heard about it through the media. It didn't turn out fruitful either - no sign of Kenley.

Not sure if you saw my last message to you to email me?
I did a few searches and still have them up; but I'd like you to look at them. I want to send you the links since you know the family better then I do.

A few things jumped out to me such as age and name used.
I don't know Canada; so I have no clue if what I found should be looked at.
There are also a few in the USA.

I'm still waiting for my membership at the other forum to go through so I'm not able to send you a message there. You don't have enough posts here for me to send the stuff to you that way.

It's a shame.. the post I made in the Canada section is gone.
Wish someone would have PM'd it to me so that I could have it...
I'm posting the images I had from that..

AMatheson.jpg
-
AMatheson1.jpg
-
AMatheson2.jpg

Left photo Allan Kenley Matheson 1992 - Middle & right Allan Kenley Matheson 1989

Ok, patting myself on the back..

I managed to get a copy of his original web site
I'm going to see if I can save it and host it myself.

This is a copy of the main page

Allan Kenley Matheson

Allan Kenley Matheson disappeared from residence on the morning of September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada while attending Acadia University in his first year of a science program.

He was last seen wearing a Helly Hanson nylon mountain jacket, blue denim Levi 509 jeans, a red and black back pack, brown loafers and a purple ball cap (possibly 'Los Angeles Lakers'). He was also wearing a gold hoop earring in his left ear.

If you or anyone you know, has ANY information regarding the possible whereabouts of Allan -Kenley- Matheson, all of his family would greatly appreciate it if you would report it to the RCMP, quoting file GH-1593-4-1, the FBI, or your local municipal, county, provincial or state police department. You may contact directly the department handling the case (the Wolfville Police Department, PO Box 1277, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada, B0P 1X0) at 1-902-542-3817 or fax: 1-902-542-3738. If you prefer, you may email any information. All information will be kept confidential.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

* birthdate - May 8, 1972
* height - 5'9"
* eyes - green
* hair - brown
* light to fair complexion
* slender build
* weight (at time of disappearance) - ~150 pounds
* right-handed

Tended to almost always wear a baseball cap of some sort.

UNIQUE BACKGROUND
Prior to his disappearance, Allan Kenley Matheson had motorcycled, walked and hitchhiked extensively throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico and Guatemala.

WHERE HE MAY BE WORKING
* planting trees or other environmental protection-like activities
* Banff, Alberta, Canada or similar resort towns
* grocery stores
* pizza shops

CHARACTERISTIC HOBBIES
Above ALL, Allan -Kenley- Matheson is a VERY avid READER and is seldom without a book. He is an enthusiastic HIKER and DIRT BIKER. Athletically, Allan Kenley Matheson is a very good swimmer. His favorite sport is NBA BASKETBALL and he is also a hearty MONTREAL CANADIANS hockey fan.

OTHER

While Allan Kenley Matheson has always been called KENLEY, he may be using the names KEN, AL, ALLAN, or using similar sounding names while retaining the same INITIALS.

June 1989
june89.gif

high school graduation photo, 1989
grad89.gif

Early September 1992
sept92.gif

Nice! He was kind of cute.

I wonder where his cousin is.

Copying stuff from other post - Canada-Unidentified - 1995 Suicide by Train -Sask. Canada

Hi Tom,

It was actually the case of Kenley Matheson that got me into doing this thing that we do. We grew up in the same small town and went to the same high school. I wouldnt say I knew him well, but we had many common friends and acquaintances. I spent lots of time at Acadia University as well where he disappeared from. Wondering what happened to him has always drove me crazy.

Looking at the reconstruction of the John Doe compared to Kenley Matheson I do not see a striking resemblence but I realize this is only a reconstruction after the accident and wouldn't expect it to be spot on.

I would hope that they would have been compared at some point due to the similarities and time frame, but how would would we know or find out? There really is not much information out there on Kenley. Even the family page is not up and running any more.

I knew Kenley Matheson and would much like to have him found, but looking at the reconstruction of John Doe I don't really see a resemblence and my gut feeling is this is not him. I do realize he was hit by a train and it is only a reconstruction photo, but even the guy who apparently travelled with JD said it was an acurate likeness of him.

Rhyno, what makes you think it's not him? Just a feeling? I submitted him as the most recent match. I was hoping it was him. There is no other men listed in Canada who dissapeared around that time. I am at a loss if it's not him.

Hi Danaya,

Mostly I am going on the reconstruction. I have looked at him as well as a few others as possible matches for Kenley. The way he is dressed, the suicide, I just don't think that would be him. And don't get me wrong, you could be correct and this is him. I wasn't extremely close to Kenley Matheson. We went to the same high school and had mutual friends in the same small town. I believe Kenley is somewhere close to the Annopolis Valley where he dissapeared from. Either foul play was involved or he went for a hike in the woods and hasn't been found. Again I have abosolutely no proof of this, just gut feeling.

Please keep us updated when you hear back from LE. Closure for both cases would be great.

Yeah its unfortunate how many people are not reported missing or LE refuses to make a missing person report. And thank you for keeping this thread going. It is unfortunate that there is not more information to go on. The Kenley Matheson case I find especially frustrating. So little information, his website is no longer up. I wish I was closer to more people who knew him to get more information and their theories on what happened. I know up until the last few years LE in Wolfville still go back and do ground searches in the area where he was last seen.

In regard to the small number of men his age that were reported missing around that time, if you go to the Ontario Provincial Police website there are so many young men still unidentified from the late 80's and early 90's, and when you search for matches there are so few missing that match up to the time frame, description, etc. Its very frustrating. The unidentified section is very graphic if you visit it, but there are just so many good looking (so to speak), clean and shaven, well nourished young men, it blows my mind that no mother, father, sister, etc is looking for them. I think that for many they were never reported missing. Hopefully I am making some sense here :waitasec:

Rhyno, I have seen the OPP website and been to their news feed website. I can't go to the graphic websites because I get nightmares easily and it just disturbs me to see those things. I have to be in the right frame of mind to view them, it's just so depressing!

So was Kenley last seen in a wooded area? It said he went missing downtown Wolfville so I imagined him being seen at a bus depot or something, maybe he was on his way out.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/index.php?showtopic=959

I found a bit of information on the Porchlight website. It has some old news stories from a few years ago. Likely as much detail as there is regarding the case.

Thanks... one report says he was last seen walking along a highway. Maybe he was hitchiking unless he was walking to school. If he didn't drive then he could have been hiking but if he drove you think he'd drive his car to the destination. The fact that he was last seen wearing a backpack makes me think that he was on his way to class but he lived at residence so that doesn't make sence. He might have been hitchiking or out looking for a hiking trail...

At Acadia University it can be a bit of a walk from the residences to class so he could have been heading to class. Where it says he was last seen walking on a downtown highway, i would guess it would be Main Street which is also Highway 1. Downtown Wolfville is pretty much only one small strip of Main St. and this is very close to the University. But who knows where he went from there?

Rhyno do you know if there is a bus station? If not then it could be very possible he met with foul play... :(

I dont remember a bus station per se in Wolfville, but the the Acadian Lines buses stop there. If I remember correctly the drop off was at a little convenience store. Acadian Lines has many stops throughout the Maritimes, so you can connect to other bus lines such as Greyhound. They also used to have a local bus system at that that time that would take you to the various other communities in the area.

I just joined this forum in my search for more info on my cousin, Kenley Matheson, who disappeared in 1992 from Wolfville, NS while attending Acadia University. I know Kenley didn't wear shoes as large as 12.5. For the first time since he disappeared I feel a strong sense that I need to find out what happened and that the answers aren't going to come from law enforcement. I was sad to find that the link for Kenley on almost all missing persons pages I found is broken - I am hoping to find out how to get an accurate page up again.

Kenley is missed and I would like to know what happened.

Kenley is the one I sent to the detective and the detective told me he was not a match to this John Doe as he had been ruled out.

Do you know if your cousin was depressed at the time? Was the sighting of him walking downtown reliable? Was there any place he frequented downtown?

Kenley confirmed his is not 1995 Suicide by Train -Sask. Canada -Case File 720UMSK

I honestly don't have any reliable info from when he disappeared - I was in college in Ontario and Kenley and I had lost touch since graduating hs. I do not have any reason to believe Kenley was depressed when he disappeared though he had apparently had a minor spat with one or more of his sister's friends the previous night when they were out together. Kenley had travelled extensively after graduating from high school 2 years earlier and it appeared he was ready and eager to start college with his sister, whom he was very close with. He chose to go to college, he could have continued travelling if he had preferred. I wondered if he had worked out alot of his coming of age issues while he was travelling and once he was in a more stable setting he found it wasn't working for him - if he decided to just leave. But there has been no evidence regarding anything since he left - no body, no activity on his bank card, no anything.

As for places he frequented, to my knowledge he really hadn't been in Wolfville very long - classes had just started and this was his first year at Acadia. He grew up in Cape Breton - in the Port Hawkesbury area, so Wolfville wasn't a place he would have been overly familiar with.

Were the friends that he had a spat with male or female (sorry, but my question mark key isn`t working). Did the police seem to have many leads. Sometimes when a person goes missing there is a `theory`that is predominant and floats around, you don`t have to tell me what it was but did you find there was any talk at all (wolfville being pretty small). In a case near where I live, everybody seemed to know what happened to a victim but the crime wasn`t solved for a few years as nobody wanted to talk.

Roselvr: the OPP address is http://opp.ca and then you will find a directory of unidentified remains containing graphic photos.

I have a few questions I want to ask. I see something online and would like your input before I post it.

Canada Missing & Unidentified - this should be a direct link if anyone wants it

I have been offline for a bit - just catching up - thank you so much for all that you have done. Roselvr - you rock, thanks for the website.

I've been talking to my parents a lot and got more info. They also told me another cousin did a great deal of leg work after Kenley first disappeared and I plan to be in touch with him soon. I'll update all info I find soon.

I am really new at this, so forgive me if I am way off.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1256umbc.html

The vitals all match, and even says that he was wearing a ball cap just like AKM liked to wear. He was found camping in British Columbia just a month or two after AKM disappeared. I don't know how that relates geographically to Nova Scotia - I should look that up.

British Columbia is in far west Canada, north of Oregon, and Nova Scotia is north of New England. Distance wouldn't matter too much in his case though, as his DN page says he traveled all over north and central America.

Everything does match up pretty good, but there is the milk jug from June that was found with the remains. Kenley didn't vanish till September though. I guess he could have found an old one on his way west, but it doesn't seem too likely. You can still send in the tip though, won't hurt anything, and it could always be a match...

I would submit it because, you never know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back