This ONE HighSchool has 115 pregnant girls!!!!

how ridiculous

and taxpayers will end up paying for most of these kids

Not surprising at all.
I live in Chicago- Robeson is one of the worst high school in the entire country, I think it was ranked 5th or 6th worst in the nation earlier this year. Less than 5% of their students can read or do math at grade level.
What else are these girls going to think they can do with their lives?

*Not that the school is the only issue obviously but education tends to be a pretty big factor in teen pregnancy I think, the public schools in Chicago are awful.

Not surprising at all.
I live in Chicago- Robeson is one of the worst high school in the entire country, I think it was ranked 5th or 6th worst in the nation earlier this year. Less than 5% of their students can read or do math at grade level.
What else are these girls going to think they can do with their lives?

*Not that the school is the only issue obviously but education tends to be a pretty big factor in teen pregnancy I think, the public schools in Chicago are awful.

Lorelei,
I'm from Chicago and went to school in the west burbs.
This was back in the 40's & 50's.
I xaw something in the video that was puzzling.
Robeson is on 68th & Norma;.
I don't believe that's a caucasian neighborhood however, it seemed that those in the video were not black, etc.

Do you suppose they were "afraid" to show that on the air?

This problem is NOT limited to black and/or latino neighborhoods.
I know it's the same in caucasian neighborhoods although, due to societal circumstances, the focus is typically on minorities.

When I went to school, a pregnant girl typically mysteriously "disappeared".
Now, they're right out there.

I see much of the "problem" about all things to do with sex as the "obsession" with all those who have problems with it.
For instance, how much of the sexual abuse in churches do you think there would be if these guys were allowed to marry, etc?
I know that that is another thing entirely butt, it is still being afraid of/obsessed with sex.

Lorelei,

I don't believe that's a caucasian neighborhood however, it seemed that those in the video were not black, etc.

Do you suppose they were "afraid" to show that on the air?

i think the videos are stock footage. robeson high is 99% african america, according to greatschools.net. less than 10% of students passed state tests in 2008. i don't think its a race issue, as pregnant teens are everywhere, though certainly more of them in low-income areas. i cant help but wonder about the families of these young women, what makes them seek love in all the wrong places?

I hate to say it, I don't advocate it. But this is the new face of motherhood, it is seemingly becoming a human imperative to procreate as early as physically possible.

First, I just learned a couple of days ago that if you're in high school and get pregnant, you get your own reality show. Whoo Hoo! I believe it's on MTV and called "16 and Pregnant"?

Second, they may have figured out that having a baby can be lucrative. Free medical, money from the feds, states, father in the form of child support, or an adoption payment.

I'd like to see a report on just how much these teen pregancies are costing all of us the tax payers!
Maybe, just maybe, if people grew up actually believing they were the ones responsible for what they did, this would not happen so often.
How many of these girls are capable of paying for their prenatal and hospital bills? How many are capable of providing what a newborn will need when they come home from the hospital and how many are mature enough to give the type of care and attention a baby needs?
There are no winners here.
Most will not have a long term relationship with the baby's father, they will not be able to get good jobs and some will find themselves in a pattern of having even more babies when they're not able to give the ones they already have a good chance in life. Then in 14-16 more years we'll be reading about these babies having babies.

Babies just deserve better IMO!

VB

Not all teen moms are bad. The majority...well, maybe.
I had my daughter at 17, I paid off the hospital bills myself, she was almost 4, before I got them done. I didn't ever receive cash welfare for her, nor did I get food stamps, or full Medicaid. I had a job and I had my own place. I did receive WIC, but only for 3 months. I was terrified of losing my job and not being able to feed her, so yes, since I was technically poor enough, I did use that to get a little bit ahead on formula for her.
I got MiChild Medicaid, I don't remember what it was called at the time. It was very basic insurance, for her only. It covered her basic antibiotics, shots, and one office visit every three months. That was it, anything else came out of pocket.
I could have sat on my butt on the couch and raked in the welfare dough. But, I didn't, and I couldn't. I was somebody's mother, and that was like making a promise. When I had her, I was telling her that I would take care of her. Not somebody else.
I don't think it's a good thing. Most teens are not equipped to handle this much responsibility. But, there are some, they just have no interest in being a teen. As a teenager I felt trapped, having my daughter freed me, people saw me as an adult and treated me as one. From 13-17, I felt like I was literally stuck in the wrong body, not the wrong gender, but the wrong age. Some are like me, and they can do well. Others can't. In the end, it's the babies that pay, and often in the worst ways, and that isn't right.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back