GUILTY FL - Christina McIntyre for attempted murder of infant, Titusville, 2009

from the link:"......she told detectives she did nothing as the child struggled and fought for air, but did nothing because she thought her life would be easier if the infant was dead. She said she wanted to go back to work and could not afford day care for both children, investigators said."

So sad. Whether she did the smothering or not, she certainly admitted she did nothing to help the infant.

I am heartbroken for the children and also for the Mother. I had EVERY resource in the world, and I still found taking care of two young children overwhelming. I do not, of course, think it is ever right to harm a child, but I would be lying if I said I couldn't relate to her feelings of drowning in it all.

God bless this family.

This one does seem like bull to me. In any case, if she did nothing to help, she's responsible. But, if she actually did the suffocating herself and is pinning such a horrid thing on her child... I can't even imagine.

I do see how people could feel sympathy for her; I am in a similar boat myself (need a job, but can't find a job that pays enough for daycare)... but adoption is always better than dead.

This case does remind us, though, that even people who appear to be "good parents" can be suffering a world of stress and screwed-uppedness. I just wish she had sought help before it came to this.

I think we've all felt overwhelmed by life and circumstances at some point in our lives. But what is it that separates us from the animals that can sit back and watch a child die, thinking "My life will be easier"? That's just cold and heartless. It's as bad as murder, in my opinion. Not only could she have saved her child, but now the older child must live with the fact that he killed his baby brother (sister?).

That is, if it's true. Sounds hinky to me.

I think we've all felt overwhelmed by life and circumstances at some point in our lives. But what is it that separates us from the animals that can sit back and watch a child die, thinking "My life will be easier"? That's just cold and heartless. It's as bad as murder, in my opinion. Not only could she have saved her child, but now the older child must live with the fact that he killed his baby brother (sister?).

That is, if it's true. Sounds hinky to me.

I doubt non-human animals ever sit back and think their life will be easier when something is attacking their babies - for non-human animals, their children are they reason they ever existed in the first place. This does separate humans from our non-human cousins, as we are the only animals able to do such a thing.

he recovered. I suspect she has a good case of some kind of depression-just from the sounds of it. I do not for a hot second believe she watched her two year old smother the child-takes a lot of strength and determination to smother something and I do not know a single two year old who would have the attention span to do it.

I think she is blaming her child-JMO. It is ok to have all kinds of feelings in this world and better to acknowledge them-acting on them however is a different ball game. She is the adult and the caregiver-she is solely responsible for finding her children a safe place. Again JMO.

This whole thing makes me ill. I have no idea what really happened because I wasn't there, but no matter which way it happened it is still her fault. She is either blaming the kid so she doesn't have to feel guilt, or let him do what she wanted to do by proxy for the same reason. I understand all the environmental issues here, but it's still sick and terribly self-centered. The kid who lived will now carry the guilt she tried to avoid. How can you willingly give your child a burden that is too heavy for you to carry? (though I guess if you can kill a child as oppossed to find it a good home that question answers itself).

Also, just to nitpick one of the other posts, animals do kill their young in times of famine. Herd animals will often abandon the injured or sick and pack animals will sometimes eat their own young if they can't feed them. Even on a smaller scale I worked in a pet store in college and saw about a billion hamster and gerbil babies get canibalised by their own mother. I did kinda think that we humans were smart enough to find other options for our children. :(

A single mom with a two year old and an 11 month old. I wonder how she is supporting herself -- OK, I know, but she needs a better life plan than allowing her children to be killed. I am depressed just reading all this.

I feel so sorry for these little boys -- I hope someone will want them -- really want them,

Hutchinson said it is unclear from the investigation whether McIntyre instructed her son to smother the baby, but that it is clear that she knew what was happening.
Police said the 2-year-old covered the 11-month old with several blankets and a beanbag chair and leaned against the chair until the infant stopped breathing. McIntyre told investigators she waited about a minute after the infant stopped moving before she pulled the 2-year-old off him. She spanked and scolded the 2-year-old for smothering his brother. Then after text-messaging her boyfriend, McIntyre called 9-1-1

What a lowlife.

Of course, she has a "boyfriend."

On Oct. 15 the Department of Children and Families reported the possible abuse to Titusville police. Police investigated the incident and during an interview Oct. 21 McIntyre admitted fabricating the incidents. The infant's medical records revealed the 11-month-old had four doctor appointments and three hospitalizations since Sept. 21

They better not give these children back to her, but then she'll just have more.

I'm glad the baby did not die, I hope both children are able to go to a loving home! She texts her boyfriend before calling 911 :furious:
Where is the father of this baby?

VB

I have a two year-old and have to concur with those who said this is implausible. My 2.4 year old certainly pushes his boundaries with his 13 month old brother sometimes, but there's no way he'd have the attention span or the knowledge of what he was doing that he'd need to see it through.

It's not to say he hasn't hit him or knocked him over out of spite, but I truly don't think he gets that his actions cause pain. It's more to get a reaction. I can't picture a toddler having the quiet drive it'd take to smother another baby. They're very action/reaction at that age.

I'm just praying the mom wasn't encouraging it/making a game of it so she wouldn't get 'blood' on her hands. It seems like an infant would be no match for a murderous adult. I think if she intended to kill the baby, the baby would be dead.

She should still get the biggest book possible thrown at her.

I'm pondering how much consideration our society would give a single father guilty of the same offense or perhaps to escape child support in a time of high unemployment rates? I'm a divorced "single mom" to three kids (5, 10 and 12). I understand this woman's frustration, I know those impulses she speaks of, but for the same reasons I do not resort to violence in solving issues with my adult counterparts I do not harm my precious children. It's wrong on every human level. Feeling at times burdened by my kids is not what separates me from the criminals behind bars, being strong and selfless enough not to ACT on those feelings is.

I'm pondering how much consideration our society would give a single father guilty of the same offense or perhaps to escape child support in a time of high unemployment rates? I'm a divorced "single mom" to three kids (5, 10 and 12). I understand this woman's frustration, I know those impulses she speaks of, but for the same reasons I do not resort to violence in solving issues with my adult counterparts I do not harm my precious children. It's wrong on every human level. Feeling at times burdened by my kids is not what separates me from the criminals behind bars, being strong and selfless enough not to ACT on those feelings is.

Male OR female, I think the kids should be permanently removed and given to parents who would cherish them. As young as they are, MANY people would want them. They most likely could even go to the same family.

(Believe09 raises her hand...) Bring em on-my 5 year old wants some brothers and I am past the production stage, lol....

What a lowlife.

Of course, she has a "boyfriend."

They better not give these children back to her, but then she'll just have more.

I don't understand your comment about her having a boyfriend. Could you elaborate?

Thank God the children have been removed from her care and this aptitude was caught before someone died. :furious: This mother is a deeply flawed and broken individual, imo, and I suspect that if this crime doesn't keep her in prison there will be another crime down the road that will. :mad:

I don't understand your comment about her having a boyfriend. Could you elaborate?

I don't want to speak for her, but in these kinds of cases the mother seems to have recently found a new boyfriend, live-in or otherwise, right before the crime.

I'm not sure how relevant it is in this case, since the boyfriend didn't seem to be there, but if you pay attention to how many babies and young children are killed in cases where the new BF either assists, does the killing, or provides the motive for the killing, it's pretty stunning.

I've said it before, but it makes complete sense to me. The BF doesn't have a biological tie to the child. No instincts to protect. And in the wild, males will often kill the offspring of their mates if they were sired by another male. It's some kind of biological imperative and I don't think some men today have evolved too much from that. It's caused me to vow that if something was to happen to my husband, I wouldn't bring another man into my boys' lives until they were old enough to stand up for themselves.

I'm sure most men are wonderful, and I'd like to think I'd have the character judgement to know, but I don't want to take any chances.

I don't believe the story. I find it extremely implausible that a mother would just sit back and watch her baby being smothered and think about the costs of daycare. If you see someone trying to kill your baby the first instinct for most of us would be to save the baby. This would happen pretty much unthinkingly, and mothers certainly wouldn't calculate the costs of daycare first. The second instinct might be to smother the toddler.

I'm afraid she might have taught her toddler to smother the baby or blamed him for something she did herself.

Anyway, no person in her right mind would think that her life would be easier if she let one of her kids kill the other. I imagine for most people that this has happened to that's usually where their troubles got worse.

You know what else is weird? None of her friends' MS status indicates any issue, even if they've logged in recently.

They are "happy" "bored" "excited" or, at worst, "blah" but no one is "heartbroken" "shocked" or "angry."

Are they not really close friends or are has she so disconnected from her friends and her life that it doesn't really have an impact on them?

You would think at least one of them might be a little upset. Very weird.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back