MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this article online....interesting comments:

<snip>

David Schulte, who lives nearby, said Elizabeth typically would walk through his front yard about 30 or 40 feet away from the road on her way back home from the friend's house. Schulte said he didn't know Elizabeth well but that she had come through the neighborhood to sell cookie dough for a school fundraiser.

Schulte, who had helped with the search, said the area around where the phone was transmitting signals was about one-quarter of a mile away from the county highway and in the middle of the woods. He said it is easy to get turned around and difficult to hold straight search lines because the terrain is all "ridges and valleys" along with brambles.

"You'd have to want to be back there," said Schulte, before police announced that Elizabeth's body had been found.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1526024.html

I had to take a break to be with my family, listen to my nephews football game, hang out, laugh alittle, to come back and see the title of this "found deceased" ( once again might I add) just brings a frog to my throat....... has anyone found out anything new?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...95471F955D5EB6EA86257658000761AF?OpenDocument

ST. MARTINS, Mo. &#8212; The body of Elizabeth Olten, the 9-year-old girl who disappeared Wednesday, was found today. Police said a juvenile was in custody.

Cole County Sheriff Greg White told reporters Friday that the person of interest and Elizabeth Olten were acquainted. White would not give any details about the person of interest except to say the individul lived in the area west of Jefferson City and was older than Elizabeth.
<snipped>

I was afraid of this. I go back to my original statement that once they are "missing" its almost too late. We need to find a way to stop these things before they happen. Do we know anything about the suspect yet?

It isn't fair, sweet Elizabeth ...I wish you had the chance to live the life the Lord gave you. You are with him now and we all know it is better than down here.

Sweet girl you will not be forgotten.

Do you think that if the person responsible was arrested already that they would be in Vine link yet? I am not sure if they go into vine link if they aren't adults....

I have a gut feeling that this was accidental, and that this juvenile was simply too afraid to tell the truth.

I also don't see the juvenile dragging her into the woods. And I don't see her going there willingly, when her mother had just told her to come home. It's possible she was chased into the woods, either playfully or to scare her. Maybe she fell and hit her head.

It could be as simple as that.

Do you think that if the person responsible was arrested already that they would be in Vine link yet? I am not sure if they go into vine link if they aren't adults....

I don't know that they've been arrested. I think it is against our TOS to sleuth this person until their name is released. WS is very serious about not releasing names of minors, for good reason.

When Tricia gets back from her trip, she may be able to clue us in. I believe she and Marc Klaas are in the area.

I have a gut feeling that this was accidental, and that this juvenile was simply too afraid to tell the truth.

I also don't see the juvenile dragging her into the woods. And I don't see her going there willingly, when her mother had just told her to come home. It's possible she was chased into the woods, either playfully or to scare her. Maybe she fell and hit her head.

It could be as simple as that.

I sure do hope you are right...I really do.

I didn't realize that. Sorry, just wanting to kinda wrap my head around this. I know some one mentioned earlier something about a 15 year old girl, possibly the friend. I sure hope it was an accident, but it still doesn't excuse the time, money, and resources that went in to finding poor Elizabeth. I would also think that it would be difficult for her to drag her out in the woods that far...and besides wouldn't the parents wonder where their child was, I am sure it would take a while. And then to find out that the friend went missing...and geez my daughter was gone a long time. I sure hope they weren't covering. IMO <------still trying to wrap head around it. So sad.

I was afraid of this. I go back to my original statement that once they are "missing" its almost too late. We need to find a way to stop these things before they happen. Do we know anything about the suspect yet?

Ya know what, I'm sad to say, in most cases U are so right. I'm sick about not only Elizabeth but also Somer (in 3 days might I add). I really think we need to start some kind of mission. I'm following cases that are not even in my state. I think we need to come up with some kind of "legal network". We need to get the names and addresses of offenders ( I realize this may not be the case here) and put an ad in the local papers with this info to inform parents of who and where these people are.(who's to say they have internet) As far as i'm concerned, if you hit the SO list, you're tagged. I'm not sure what legal rights we can do this on but I do know that my own local paper's ad's are not very expensive. If we can get people to foot the bill each week, this will give out names/addresses and make them afraid instead of us. I don't know, this whole thing is getting more and more disturbing, if they can get to 1 child, they're winning! If we have some lawyers here, lets come up with something. I know I can afford an ad here or there. I'm sad to say "its up to us"

primary prevention... my mantra as a nurse... (and the hardest battle to fight let alone win)

it is a juvie and I am not at all familiar with that system. Anyone else? I tend to think (and fervently hope) that if this was not a sort of freak accident that they will charge this kid as an adult and than everything legal will change in terms of documents, etc

in the last thread the perp was reported as a juvie 'him'... fwiw

Poor baby.

I'm just having a thought about how it is here in my rural area.

(I call it redneckville - that's just my own house mind you - LOL)

My 10yr. old has a motorcycle and a four-wheeler. We have many boys of varying ages living near us - several within I'd say a 1 mile radius - and then even more if you go to about 1.5 miles. They all ride back and forth to each other's places on their go-karts and four-wheelers and such - and those are just the little guys. There are several older teens around too.

There are only a few girls in our area - but sometimes they pal along and maybe get a ride on the back once in a while.

Could this older teen have been on a motorcycle or 4-wheeler maybe? Offered her a ride and then with or without her consent - taken her into the woods?

I am not big into prayer, but during times like this....They are the only words left to say:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.

Amen

RIP
Elizabeth and Somer

amen mt. sometimes that is all that we can do... (but it is the LEAST we can do? NO WAY!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82