38 TX Drivers Ticketed for Being Non-English Speaking

gaia227

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an
Reaction score
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/10/26/4445530.htm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/24/dallas-cops-ticket-38-drivers-for-not-speaking-eng/

These cases became public when a woman, who is a legal resident of the US since 1980, was pulled over for an illegal U-Turn and subsequently ticketed for a non-english speaking driver. There is no law against non-english speakers driving unless you are a commercial driver.

I am sure this topic has to ability to get pretty hot so I might just post this and get the hell out of here. We shall see.

I have never driven in a foreign country so I cannot say how important it would be to be able to read the language of said country or if the graphics on the signs are universal enough for everyone to understand them.

Well... I think it is ridiculous and hope they throw out that portion of the ticket for these people. However, this woman has been here since 1980---why does she not know English yet? This is an English speaking country. If one were to go to Switzerland, they would learn French or German (depending on where you lived in the country). English is widely spoken there, but the native languages are English and German. If one were to go to China, they would learn Chinese etc.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/10/26/4445530.htm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/24/dallas-cops-ticket-38-drivers-for-not-speaking-eng/

These cases became public when a woman, who is a legal resident of the US since 1980, was pulled over for an illegal U-Turn and subsequently ticketed for a non-english speaking driver. There is no law against non-english speakers driving unless you are a commercial driver.

I am sure this topic has to ability to get pretty hot so I might just post this and get the hell out of here. We shall see.

I have never driven in a foreign country so I cannot say how important it would be to be able to read the language of said country or if the graphics on the signs are universal enough for everyone to understand them.

I didn't read the article, but since it happened in Texas I'm assuming those ticketed are Hispanic. The law will probably change, and if the state can cough up enough money they'll probably start putting the street signs in Spanish and English. The population is expected to be mostly Hispanic within 30-50 years anyway.

That is crazy. What about tourists? I didn't become fluent when I went to Italy. There are entire towns in Texas where Spanish is the primary language spoken. Sometimes Texas embarrasses me to no end.

What should embarrases you is people can live here for 30 years and not have to learn to speak English. Or the fact that there are whole towns in Texas that can't speak English.

What should embarrases you is people can live here for 30 years and not have to learn to speak English. Or the fact that there are whole towns in Texas that can't speak English.

or the fact that when they get pulled over LE does not check to see if they are here legally.

I do think someone needs to know english to drive here. HELLO the freaking road, and construction signs so far are still in english.

Also I'm sick and tired of seeing job posts for spanish speaking. It's freaking America we shouldn't have to learn spanish to get a da*n job in Texas.

I'm tired of the wasted ink my tax dollars pay for when the school prints something in spanish on the backside.

I could go on...

but that's just my opinion..

ETA: I'm proud to be TEXAN and wish the government would get the illegals out and protect our broders. Being here illegally is against the law even if they have an anchor baby. I'm tired of them and their children having more rights and help in this country then the people who are here legally.

Ducking I can see the tomatoes coming....

Amen to that!!!

I'm in Texas, and I'm not sure what I think. I mean, what if these people had been tourists from any non English speaking country, but OTOH, I feel like we're being invaded, and it's not that these people want to truly be Americans. If they did they wouldn't insist on celebrating Mexican Independence Day. This isn't Mexico.

When was the last time you saw a parade on US soil for Canadian Independence Day?

Things are indeed getting worse down here. I'm at least 3 hours plus from the border. Went to a Mexican restaurant this very evening, and the first server to our table asked us what we wanted to drink in Spanish. Never have I had that happen before.

or the fact that when they get pulled over LE does not check to see if they are here legally.

I do think someone needs to know english to drive here. HELLO the freaking road, and construction signs so far are still in english.

Also I'm sick and tired of seeing job posts for spanish speaking. It's freaking America we shouldn't have to learn spanish to get a da*n job in Texas.

I'm tired of the wasted ink my tax dollars pay for when the school prints something in spanish on the backside.

I could go on...

but that's just my opinion..

ETA: I'm proud to be TEXAN and wish the government would get the illegals out and protect our broders. Being here illegally is against the law even if they have an anchor baby. I'm tired of them and their children having more rights and help in this country then the people who are here legally.

Ducking I can see the tomatoes coming....

Amen from another Texan!!

amen, amen, amen, amen,, AMEN!!!!! glad to see you all agree. but i've got news for you-- unless we stand up for our culture, language and history.. no one will care,, and it will be GONE!!! quit worrying about being PC and speak up!!!

There are many more Texans who are furious that we (the citizens of this country) have allowed everything to continue (these feelings are also felt by my Hispanic friends). We as citizens of this country really need to get a grasp on all of this, and make some major changes to whatever laws that we need to make. Even if it means booting out all the lawmakers one at a time until our voices and concerns are met. PS, please stop throwing the tomatoes.

There are many more Texans who are furious that we (the citizens of this country) have allowed everything to continue (these feelings are also felt by my Hispanic friends). We as citizens of this country really need to get a grasp on all of this, and make some major changes to whatever laws that we need to make. Even if it means booting out all the lawmakers one at a time until our voices and concerns are met. PS, please stop throwing the tomatoes.

My in-laws in TX feel the same way.....One day it will be the I pledged allegiance to the flag of the UNITED COUNTRY of NORTH AMERICA....

I say let the tickets stand and keep giving 'em out!

I personally find it ridiculous that you could spend 20 years in a country and still not learn the language. That said, the tickets were apparently caused by a computer error that gave the officers the incorrect information. They should dismiss the tickets AND the lawsuit. This is a local case for me, and I can tell you that the lawyer bringing it is one of these guys who doesn't miss an opportunity to make a mountain out of a molehill if it will get him on TV.

I personally find it ridiculous that you could spend 20 years in a country and still not learn the language.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t is increasingly easy to do when you can get any and all services in your first language. No need to learn a language when you insist everyone must accommodate you in your native language.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Texas spends millions on programs that allow people to not speak English. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I was in Target where a woman was ripping into the manager for not having someone to interpret product information into Spanish. When I traveled to Europe, I never thought everyone or anyone was supposed to speak English for my convenience, and I went many places were no one did. [/FONT]

This is a topic that makes me fume. Being in health care, for many years in CA I can tell you that the problem is widespread. It is not just a problem in Texas. Many small hospitals (and rural hospitals) in CA were either absorbed into health care conglomerates or shut down due to not being able to pay their bills.

People ask how this can be with a stay at the hospital being so expensive, but remember that the bill you see is NOT what the hospital gets reimbursed, In CA, and in TX as well as many other states, I am sure, there are so many uninsured, under insured or illegal aliens without insurance and hospitals can not refuse them care.

I think America is unique and have heard the arguments that everyone, with the exception of native americans are people who came here as immigrants. That doesn't hold water in my book. Our immigration system was tightly controlled in the past. People had to have sponsers, health checks and an ability to work or be provided for prior to entering this country. If they entered illegally, they were deported. In order to become citizens they had to speak, read and write english. Why is that wrong?

In CA a proposition was on the ballot that gave back some rights to American citizens in CA. A person who crossed the border, had a child and wanted to stay, was not automatically a citizen. There were limits to what services (afdc, medi-cal etc) that a person in this situation could qualify for.

Please let me say here that in no way do I believe that our only immigrant problem is from Mexico or Mexican illegals, but from various countries in the world.

Instead of this bill becoming reality (after passing by majority vote in CA) the ACLU stepped in, calling it unconstitutional? What?? How can a law, written by citizens and lawmakers, garnering enough signatures to be placed on a ballot, voted into existence by an American public, be unconstitutional?

This bill would have possibly stopped the shutdowns of many hospitals, as well as other services that tax paying. legal citizens of this country no longer have available.

What is the correct answer? I have NO idea. I do know however, that American citizens have to work to protect our rights as Americans financially, historically and politically. This will also help Americans lend aid in the countries that see the highest illegal immigration into our countries!

Stepping down off my soapbox now, to avoid tomatoes and hand grenades. ;-)

Hard not to say anything. I thought for a minute this may be a internet urban legend. I have a friend that occasionally sends me emails of incendiary nature. Snopes.com usually helps me to separate fact from fiction. It appears that a "rookie" traffic officer issued the ticket. The Dallas Police Chief says that no such law is on the books. I suspect that the Officer was frustrated by having to deal with a person who has chosen for the last 29 years to ignore conventional wisdom. Learn to speak and understand English. I know that I lost my job after 29 years with one company because I refused to learn Spanish. No one has a good solution

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back