MO - Halimo Ahmed, 49, murdered in her Kansas City home, 12 Nov 2009

nursebeeme

Reaction score
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The mother of six children was found dead in her home by two of the children on Wednesday morning. Police said a 12-year-old and nine-year-old went to a neighbor's home to call the police after they found their 49-year-old mother unresponsive.

Capt. Rich Lockhart with Kansas City Missouri Police said the death is suspicious and there were signs of foul play at the home on the 1200 block of Askew. A relative told FOX 4 that the mother was strangled
http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-kids-find-mom-dead-111309,0,6319954.story

------------------------

Two children discovered their mother dead in their home today in the 1200 block of Askew Avenue, and police say the death is suspicious.
The children, ages 9 and 12, found their 49-year-old mother about 7:10 a.m. A cab driver had arrived at the house to take the kids to school, but the kids were not ready. That’s when they discovered the mother’s body and called 911.
http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2009/11/children-found-their-mother-dead-this-morning.html

-------------------------

KMBC's Maria Antonia reported that a relative of the woman had gone to the house to help get the children ready for school, and that's when the 12-year-old and 9-year-old children said their mother was unresponsive.

Authorities pronounced the woman dead at the scene.

Police said the woman's death is being investigated as suspicious because there were signs of foul play.

Neighbors told Antonia that the woman has lived in the area for about 10 years and has four other children.
http://www.kmbc.com/mostpopular/21594171/detail.html

-------------------------

"She was like, 'I'm scared, I'm scared, my mom died,'" Vasti Sanchez said of the 12-year-old neighbor who knocked at her door on Thursday morning after discovering the body.

When the officers checked the 49-year-old woman for signs of life, police said they discovered she was dead. The mother's death is being investigated as suspicious, as Kansas City police said there were signs of foul play.

Family members told KCTV5 that the woman was Halima Ismail. They said she lived in the house with her six kids. She was separated from her husband, neighbors said.
http://www.kctv5.com/news/21595433/detail.html

----------------------------------------

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/11...spicious_in_1200_block_of_askew_kcpd_says.php

map at this link

not finding anything else yet... but how sad for those six children...

and what kids take a cab to school????

Exactly on the cab thing. That made me wonder. Maybe they missed the bus (if there was one) and were running late? And if so, why?

I also wonder why another family member came over to get the children ready for school... was Halima sick? Did she work? etc...

When I was in preschool I took a cab to and from school. That's just how it was. No big deal.

Hoppy

City kids
Families with friends with cabs
Kids who need an adult to take them to school and don't have bus service

It's very common where I live for kids to take cabs and car services to school. Kids can go with another trusted adult if parents cannot take them and there is no bus service. Lots of families know cabbies or have them in the family.

It is also very common to take the village approach. My neighbor's grandma comes over to help get the kids off to school. My other neighbors cousin does the same for her. From my experience living in an urban area, people help out people a lot.

I heard this on the news at lunch today. So sad.

As for the cab, I believe the school district foots the bill for this. The KCMO school district is a total mess. I remember hearing about these cabs at one point. I don't remember exactly why the district uses the cabs in some situations, but they do.

Yes, the Kansas City Mo school district is a mess. They do have cabs because they have "magnet" schools - schools that are supposed to excell in certain areas of academics ( an animal science magnet, a fine arts magnet, etc.).
The kids dont necessarily go to school in their neighborhood. It may be all the way across town. This means not enough kids in a neighborhood to make sense to fire up an entire school bus for 4-5 kids that need to be transported all the way across town.

They have some beautiful victorian houses in the Hyde Park neighborhood that have great deals on them, but my kids would have to be in this school district makes it not even a choice! No way would I send my kids to that district therefore no way I would live there.

Thanks, In da Middle. I knew there was a reason they used cabs, but I couldn't remember. The KCMO school district sure has transportation problems (and many other issues) when it comes to their students. It seems like not a week goes by that we don't hear about a kid being dumped off a bus in the wrong place or one being left on the bus.

There are so many areas with beautiful homes, but I am afraid to even drive through most of them. It's sad. I agree, there's no way on earth I'd want my kids in that district. How many superintendent's have they had? They don't last very long and then the district ends up buying out their contract and hiring yet another one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back