OR - Joshua Friar for child sexual abuse, Springfield, 2009

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/11/springfield_foster_parent_char.html

"A 26-year-old Springfield man is in jail, accused of abusing young boys, including foster children under his care.

Police expect that other victims may come forward now that Joshua Thomas Friar is in custody. Until recently, he was a direct-care service provider at a Lane County treatment facility for severely abused and traumatized children, and a volunteer Big Brother."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/11/springfield_foster_parent_char.html

"A 26-year-old Springfield man is in jail, accused of abusing young boys, including foster children under his care.

Police expect that other victims may come forward now that Joshua Thomas Friar is in custody. Until recently, he was a direct-care service provider at a Lane County treatment facility for severely abused and traumatized children, and a volunteer Big Brother."

In retrospect, I'm sooooo glad there was a 3yr waiting period when I wanted to get my son hooked up with Big Brother Big Sister.

So glad to see this monster's bond set @ $2M.

And that with any luck outta the judicial system, that at the age of 26, MANY potention victims will be saved.

So why are we seeing such disparities in bail amounts? Oregon is making me proud with their recent bail setting. There was the man earlier this year, who abused his two toddlers--he had a 13.9 million bail. Now that's some cash.

None of that piddly Missouri stuff. Not to be disrespectful of any Missourians on board. I just don't get the low bails. And yes, I know they raised it but still.....

http://registerguard.com/csp/cms/si...54320-41/friar-kolego-sexual-state-foster.csp

Molester receives 18-year sentence
A former youth worker sexually abused boys living in his home

"Joshua Friar expects his time in prison to be terrifying, his attorney told a Lane County Circuit Court judge who on Thursday sentenced the Springfield man to more than 18 years behind bars for sexually abusing three boys who lived in his home as foster children.......

and

"....Friar, 27, worked as a youth program supervisor at Jasper Mountain, a facility east of Springfield that treats emotionally disturbed children. He met at least two of his young victims while on the job, and later gained state certification to take in the boys as his foster children. Friar’s third victim also lived with him as a foster child.

Once they moved into his Springfield home, the boys were exposed to Friar’s sexual advances. Friar slept in the same bed with one of the boys “for a significant amount of time” during which the youth was subjected to regular abuse, Hasselman said...."

and

"State police arrested Friar last November after one of the boys came forward with molestation allegations. Friar resigned from Jasper Mountain that same day. The facility’s executive director, psychologist Dave Ziegler, said Friar passed an extensive background check before beginning his job there, and that “there were no red flags” that indicated Friar was capable of abusing children...."

and

"Under state Measure 11, Friar must serve his entire 220-month sentence, with no chance of early release....."

more at link

We can enter this into the annals of the Foster Parent Hall of Shame. As a foster parent, I am sickened. Jasper Mountain is a facility which serves some of Oregon's most troubled youths and Friar chose from that pool of boys. As a trained professional, he knew exactly what he was doing to their young bodies, minds and souls. If he is so frightened about his upcoming prison experience, he really should have thought about that before he touched the boys.

You'll note that he attempts to blame the "molestation" (I take issue with that word!!) on being a confused youth himself. I guess he chose not to disclose that fact on his resume. He says he tried to hide his homosexuality. WTH does his sexual orientation have to do with raping young boys? Many people who are gay are doing tremendous work with youth.

His attorney does not believe that his crimes were predatory????? He says that Friar had an "irresistible compulsion" and was "opportunistic". Look at that statement. Isn't that the definition of predatory? A cougar has an irresistible compulsion to eat and when it finds its prey, it uses opportunistic tactics to attack.

Sounds predatory to me. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!

IMO, the word "molestation" doesn't fit here.

163.427 Sexual abuse in the first degree. (1) A person commits the crime of sexual abuse in the first degree when that person:
(a) Subjects another person to sexual contact and:
(A) The victim is less than 14 years of age;
(B) The victim is subjected to forcible compulsion by the actor; or
(C) The victim is incapable of consent by reason of being mentally defective, mentally incapacitated or physically helpless; or
(b) Intentionally causes a person under 18 years of age to touch or contact the mouth, anus or sex organs of an animal for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of a person.
(2) Sexual abuse in the first degree is a Class B felony.

From my link above:

"He basically set up his own personal harem at his home, for lack of a better term,” Hasselman said.

One of the boys lived with Friar when he was between 12 and 15 years old. The other two were about 9 years old when they moved into his home...."

and

"....Friar agreed to plead guilty to three counts of first-degree sexual abuse, two counts of second-degree sodomy and one count of using a child in a display of sexual conduct. In exchange for the pleas, prosecutors dismissed 22 additional felony charges Friar faced.

If you looked up the definition of predatory, there would be a picture of this man there. How utterly despicable when people abuse already traumatized and displaced children. I am so sorry that these children had to suffer. I'm thrilled that he is terrified of his prison stint. I hope he is terrified for the entire 18 years. Maybe he will come to know what it means to be afraid and have no way to escape.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back