MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jodibug, I just saw your daughter on TV, channel 17, entering the court house with her friend.

And I saw her friend on channel 8.

Originally Posted by Padua on the other thread
Originally Posted by danni
HAHA I wouldn't doubt it. They cut her fingernails for her so she couldn't "cut herself" in a (sorry azz) attempt to commit suicide!

WOW I don't even know what to say about that photo!

She wasn't trying to commit suicide, she was self-harming. She has a history of it. But that's just my opinion.

Really:waitasec:, because I remember reading from someone (jodibug) that was in court today and watched it live and in flesh that her attorney, Kurt Valentine, said during court she had tried to commit suicide since her time in Prenger, by cutting herself with her fingernails.

Really:waitasec:, because I remember reading from someone (jodibug) that was in court today and watched it live and in flesh that her attorney, Kurt Valentine, said during court she had tried to commit suicide since her time in Prenger, by cutting herself with her fingernails.

You're both right!

They cut her fingernails because she was trying to self-harm. But she also attempted suicide in Sept 2007.

editted by me....

Yes, Valentine said she was trying to commit suicide by cutting herself with her fingernails, but that was a ludicrous statement. duhhhhh.

Wow, the one day this week I was away from a computer ALL DAY at work... :banghead:

Just got caught up and was reading so fast I wasn't taking the time to click all the Thanks'es I should have--so to all posters, thank you, and to Steph and Jodibug and W8nc, Extra Special Super Thanks for your updates. (W8nc, did they have the proceedings closed-captioned? I was hoping you'd make it, and that they did.)

Off to see what docs we can see. Anyone else struck by the difference between the AB she portrayed in the photos we've seen, and the no-makeup, no-shocking-props mug shot?

It doesnt even look like the same girl to me ( although i know it is). She also kind of looks dead in the eyes if u know what i mean...like theres nothing really there.

You're both right!

They cut her fingernails because she was trying to self-harm. But she also attempted suicide in Sept 2007.

editted by me....

Yes, Valentine said she was trying to commit suicide by cutting herself with her fingernails, but that was a ludicrous statement. duhhhhh.

I'm not trying to argue, kinda stupid on the computer anyways... lol
I understand that it was an ignorant comment made by an attorney to get to peoples "feelings" for this girl, I was making light of a comment made about taking away her eye liner pencil so she wouldn't stab herself when I even mentioned it.

I mean really I think everyone that has read my post on the last thread knows how I feel about this hideous waste of oxygen, but maybe they should have given her something to sharpen her nails with instead of cutting them off! Maybe she would have gotten somewhere!

UPDATE: Missouri teen to face murder charge as an adult
By Jeremy Essig
November 18, 2009 | 5:39 p.m. CST

Alyssa Bustamante, 15, has been charged as an adult in the first-degree murder trial in the killing of a 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten.

JEFFERSON CITY — Wearing pink ribbons in remembrance of the 9-year-old St. Martins girl killed nearly a month ago, two Jefferson City High School students watched as a classmate faced first-degree murder charges.

Alyssa Bustamante, 15, was indicted Wednesday on suspicion of killing Elizabeth Olten, 9. Bustamante was certified to stand trial as an adult.

"We went to school with Alyssa, but we're not here supporting her," said Maggie Fowler, a junior at Jefferson City High School.

On Wednesday, Cole County Circuit Judge Patricia Joyce read Bustamante the charges against her and entered a plea of not guilty on her behalf. Bustamante, her wrists shackled to her waist, told the judge that she had yet to meet with an attorney from the Missouri State Public Defender System and was unable to pay for her own defense.

Earlier in the day, in a separate judicial proceeding before a different judge, Bustamante was certified to stand trial as an adult rather than have her case handled as a juvenile matter.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/11/18/alyssa-bustamante-face-murder-indictment-adult/

Cutting herself with her nails is something a person with borderline personality will do for attention. I doubt if she could scratch deeply enough to nick an artery or large vein. I felt that the perps story that she killed EO just to see how it felt sounded like an ice cold sociopath. Hard to rehab someone with that much lack of remorse. So, I glad she's being tried as an adult!!!!! You just can't build a conscience into adults and kids that don't have one.

Wow, the one day this week I was away from a computer ALL DAY at work... :banghead:

Just got caught up and was reading so fast I wasn't taking the time to click all the Thanks'es I should have--so to all posters, thank you, and to Steph and Jodibug and W8nc, Extra Special Super Thanks for your updates. (W8nc, did they have the proceedings closed-captioned? I was hoping you'd make it, and that they did.)

Off to see what docs we can see. Anyone else struck by the difference between the AB she portrayed in the photos we've seen, and the no-makeup, no-shocking-props mug shot?

Not closed captioned, no, but we were in a small room and they turned up the volume to MAX, so I heard most of it. Thanks for asking, ynotdivein, I appreciate your concern. :hug: I sure hope my hearing problems didn't drive everyone else nuts.

I tell ya, I wouldn't have recognized AB this morning,....except she was the one in an orange jumpsuit and shackles. Without the makeup, she looks about 12. She sat very still, made no sound, looked at the table most of the time, or at the judge. They tried several times to zoom in on her face, but part of the time, Valentine was leaning forward, blocking the shot, and the rest of the time, her hair was hanging in her face so you couldn't see anything but nose & chin. We only saw her eyes for a little bit at the beginning.

She's good at hiding her real self, even from her friends.

Snip from article and WTH??:

"That's as much as Richardson would say about the facts of the case. At one point in juvenile court hearing, a highway patrol investigator testified that Alyssa had dug two holes in the woods, five days before Elizabeth Olten disappeared.

Richardson said that he cannot tell us if Olten’s body was found in only one of those holes."

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=379212

Not closed captioned, no, but we were in a small room and they turned up the volume to MAX, so I heard most of it. Thanks for asking, ynotdivein, I appreciate your concern. :hug: I sure hope my hearing problems didn't drive everyone else nuts.

I tell ya, I wouldn't have recognized AB this morning,....except she was the one in an orange jumpsuit and shackles. Without the makeup, she looks about 12. She sat very still, made no sound, looked at the table most of the time, or at the judge. They tried several times to zoom in on her face, but part of the time, Valentine was leaning forward, blocking the shot, and the rest of the time, her hair was hanging in her face so you couldn't see anything but nose & chin. We only saw her eyes for a little bit at the beginning.

She's good at hiding her real self, even from her friends.

Sounds like her attorney was good at hiding her, too. I don't think it was a mistake that he positioned himself as you describe.

"That's as much as Richardson would say about the facts of the case. At one point in juvenile court hearing, a highway patrol investigator testified that Alyssa had dug two holes in the woods, five days before Elizabeth Olten disappeared.

Richardson said that he cannot tell us if Olten’s body was found in only one of those holes."

Oooooooh noooooooooooooo. :sick: Let's hope this was just a response to a question from a reporter with an active imagination, and that he really just can't tell us that it's false.

Oooooooh noooooooooooooo. :sick: Let's hope this was just a response to a question from a reporter with an active imagination, and that he really just can't tell us that it's false.

In his opening remarks, the judge stated ...sorry don't have the exact quote, but basically said.... we should go on the premise that everything she is accused of is true. The point was, they were debating whether the juvinile system or the adult system would be the best for dealing with her IF CONVICTED, so there was no point in discussing it if it's not true, right?

Soooooo, every time Green asked this Criminal Investigator from the Highway Patrol anything about the what/why/where/when of the crime, Valentine objected, saying it was not relevant to THIS discussion.

I don't know if Richardson actually could not say if Olten's body was found in ONLY ONE of the holes, or if that was just poorly written, and should have been...could not say if Olten's body was found in ONE of the holes.

There haven't been any rumors up to now about dismemberment, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong