Africa - 10,000 E. African albinos in hiding after killings

These poor people!
This is barbaric! All in the name of greed.

Reactions: abr
How many albinos are in Kenya anyway???? I live in the USA and see maybe ONE a year... Granted where everyone is black they may stand out more... but still 10,000? Thats a lot of albinos.

There was a Discovery Health channel show about native African albinos . . . a year ago or so. The theme focused more upon how these folks are shunned as unlucky or deformed, targets for rage and hatred (how typical). Now, their body parts are lucky trinkets. That is true capitalism in action. We should set up a sponsorship and give them all an opportunity to escape to safety.

Thank you for posting this Linda!! I'd heard of this problem in the past but never imagined it to be as bad as it is now reported. I also thought that the number seemed inflated until I did some research here:

http://www.humanrights-geneva.info/Albinos-also-Victims-of,496

"Africa apparently has a higher prevalence of people born with albinism with about one per 4,000 to 5,000 persons compared to a country like Denmark, with one in 60,000."

This correlates with the current violence and discrimination we've recently seen reported concerning people with red hair (called "gingers" in the UK). Sociologically speaking, this type of prejudice has a long history as people with very light skin and hair are more apt to have health problems and sensitivities. However, due to education and the evolution of mankind, there is NO excuse for this type of cruelty.

Thanks again for posting this. Isn't it absolutely shocking how people will judge others?

We have children of numerous ethnicities and it never ceases to amaze me how cruel even seemingly well-meaning people can be. I've had older Asian men and women comment on which of my Korean daughters is more beautiful due to the shape of their eyes or lightness of their skin (I guess light skin and rounder eyes are considered "better"). I've also had many many black people approach me about my children who are black and comment about the attractiveness of one's lighter skin compared to one who has darker skin. Also, I've heard comments about "good" hair and "bad" hair.

Jeesh. Can't we just look at inner beauty and appreciate everyone's physical differences? I can't even imagine the terror these people in Africa are experiencing.

I watched a documentary about this a few months ago on HBO. It is terrible. They interviewed a woman who had been attacked and her arms and legs hacked off but somehow she survived. They even have special schools set up now for albino children where parents can send them to keep them safe. These people are living in absolute terror.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back