Thread 8
Thread 7
Thread 6
Thread 5
Thread 4
Thread 3
Thread 2
Thread 1

Continue here with discussion on Somer's case.

Post links to SR registry only, do not copy/paste info on SO to this thread, including photographs and inmate details.

Do not post personal information -- name, address, phone number -- of anyone LE has not named as suspect in the murder of Somer Thompson here.

References to minors other than the victim should be initials only (AC, AT, ST). When in doubt about whether you can use someone's name, use initials and provide link to source of information.

Links ONLY to Facebook/MySpace/Twitter pages with description of what you want us to look at. Don't copy and paste information here.

Please do not quote in its entirety.

Instead, use the Quote button and delete everything but the parts you want to discuss. This post is huge.

List of FACTS in Somer's case: Version IV

Credit for compiling goes to: SharetheLight, Doggies, Dee10, MammaD, CCane, and Many Others (it's a work in progress).

These are facts as reported by media and/or from the MPR. Tried to put links to source where available.

Called this version Part I so when editing time on this post is up, this can be copied and added to and we can call that one Version II and so on.

SOMER
Somer Thompson was 7 years old when she disappeared on October 19, 2009.
Somer was wearing a cranberry jumpsuit (jogging suit?) with a matching top to the bottom and pink satin stripes down the sides of arms and legs, and a black shirt underneath.
Somer's birthday is April 5, 2002.
Somer was not in the habit of wandering off, according to her mom in video (on left, scroll down in video list) Diena Thompson Addresses The Media.
Somer routinely wandered around and nobody knew where she was, according to a babysitter.
Somer wore a red ribbon in her ponytail on October 19.
AB (neighbor) drove Somer to school on October 19 and said it was a normal morning and Somer was her usual self.
Somer went to school (GPE) and left school at regular time (2:32 p.m.).
Somer was walking home with a group of kids that included sister AT and brother AT.
Something happened on the walk home and Somer ran ahead to walk alone.
An AMBER Alert was issued on Tuesday morning. It does not mention the book bag or lunchbox, but mentions her possibly wearing white hat and scarf.
Somer lived with her mom Diena Thompson, her twin brother ST, her older sister AT. (Unsure whether half-brother AC lived with them)
Somer's body was found at Chesser Island Landfill in Folkston, GA. She was tentatively identified by her clothing and a birthmark.
Somer's lunchbox and book bag (see sketches as released by LE and shown on AMW) have not been found. Details first reported on AMW November 7. (Previous reports had not mentioned description of lunchbox; backpack/book bag was described several ways, now believed to be in error, including but not limited to ""black book bag"; "pink black and white backpack with skulls, hearts, and crossbones"; purple HM backpack")

DIENA
Diena and Samuel Thompson are estranged and in the process of divorcing.
Diena has a live-in boyfriend (CPC, who goes by P).
Diena said she had lunch at her home on October 19 with SAP, a family friend.
Diena asked SAP to wait until the kids got home from school. (from narrative MPR, but what was he to do after that?)
Dena texts SAP around 4 p.m., asking how the kids were; SAP replied that Somer had not come home with the other kids.
Diena leaves work early to search for Somer.
Diena felt something was wrong this time, and this is why she responded quickly to news of Somer not making it home that day.
Diena calls her boyfriend, CPC aka P, at about 4:20 p.m., tells him Somer didn’t come home, and asks him to leave work to help search for her.
Diena stops at OPAA to pick up oldest son AC.
Diena flags down D/S A. Coan at the corner of Floyd Circle West and Gano, and reports Somer missing.

SAMUEL
Samuel lives in North Carolina and has not seen Somer in 2 years.
Samuel came to FL on the Sunday after Somer's disappearance.
Samuel says soot was found on Somer’s body in NG interview). (Later, he recants that statement through relative on WS because the source of this information, his sister LH, is thought to be unreliable.)

SEAN A. P. (SAP)
SAP is a close family friend of family.
SAP is said to have had lunch with Diena at her house on October 19 (in the MPR, he does not state this himself but Diena does).
SAP is asked to wait at house until kids come home from school. (from MPR narrative; not sure what he was to do after they came home)..
SAP had not been asked to do this before. This was his first time.
SAP asks where Somer is when AT and ST arrived around 3:10 p.m.
SAP sent AT to look for Somer. When she returned about 15 minutes later without her, SAP told her to look again real good before he called Diena.
SAP gets text from Diena around 4 p.m. asking how the kids were doing; he texts back that Somer did not come home with the other kids and AT is out looking for her.Diena says she will leave work and come look for Somer.
SAP opened bank account for donations to Somer’s family, and the account is in his name.

C. PERRY C.
CPC is Diena's live-in boyfriend.
CPC gets call about 4:20 p.m. from Diena who tells him Somer didn’t come home; Diena asks him to leave work to help search for her.
CPC leaves work and drives to the Horton Drive home; arrives at about 5 p.m.
CPC picks up ST (twin) at the house about 5 p.m. and goes to search for Somer.

GANO AVENUE HOUSE
This house caught fire months ago and is being restored.
Work crews have been at that house.
VD&B is the contractor working on the house.
Kyle, who works with the contractor, was there on October 19, and said that Somer came in the yard, told him that he/they were doing a good job on the house, and went back the way she came. (Thanks, MammaD!)
Kyle is the last person known to see Somer alive.
There are propane tanks surrounded by a fence about a block the house (toward school).
J., a minor, was riding his bike home when he saw Somer running around near the tanks and that she he thought she was excited but had a frown on her face.
OPAA is a park and sporting fields across the street from the house.
LE searched the house extensively on Thursday and Friday.
The Gano House was proclaimed a crime scene, as was the search area.

:star1:LAW ENFORCEMENT
:star1: Investigators made the request / recommendation that Somer's casket be closed.

OTHER PEOPLE
AB drove Somer to school on October 19.
AB appeared on TV with Sheriff Beseler. Don't want video to appear in this post: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33427923#33427923"]msnbc.com.

A female neighbor who asked that her name not be reported, upon hearing of Somer’s disappearance, tells LE to check the vacant house on Gano Avenue and its dumpster. After Somer is found in the landfill, she said she wishes she would have checked it herself.

A (different?) female neighbor, when questioned about the trash pick-up day, made a comment that the trash had already been collected that day so to take that however you want to. A member at WS posted that it was the woman who drove Somer to school; that would have been AB. I wasn't sure which video it is at the link provided in the post.

Houses in the vicinity of the Gano house were searched on Tuesday, October 20. The search literally hit home for schools Superintendent Ben Wortham, who lives about 100 yards from the Gano Drive spot where Somer was last seen. About 2 a.m. Tuesday, his house and many others in the vicinity were “searched from top to bottom,” Wortham said.

GARBAGE
Bruce Owens, an officer suggests to the sheriff that all trash trucks should be followed and searched so they can isolate the trash coming out of this area, the trash trucks are then followed. (Later reported that Joe Jett gets credit for this.)
Somer was found dead on October 21 in the Chesser Island Landfill in Fokston, Georgia.
LE followed the trucks to the Chesser Island Landfill.

There is at least one video of an interview with Diena that is blacked out-significant portion of interview is missing at the point where DT is recalling something from the day. (Could this just be because it was raw video and they edited out camera man movement?)

CCSO
LE searched the Gano Avenue house extensively and the men's room at OPAA briefly and came out with a bag.
An autopsy was performed, and LE knows the cause of death, but that have not released that information.
Sheriff reports only one person cleared in the investigation into Somer’s death and that is him.

RSOs
There are 161 RSOs that live within 5 miles of Somer’s home.
CWG’s name and contact info appears on the initial police report (in error as a case of mistaken identity) detailing her disappearance, along with the names of family, neighbors, and others.
The owner of VD&B has a brother who is an RSO. His name is GCV.
Since Somer disappeared many RSO’s have been arrested for failing to update their addresses.

UNRELATED BUT YET, RELATED
What was thought to be an attempted abduction 10 days before Somer's disappearance turned out not to be an attempted abduction and was not related to Somer's disappearance according to LE. Even after LE said there was no connection, reports on blue Nissans poured in to the CCSO.

A police report in the Clay County Daily indicated that 4 burglary suspects were arrested at the Thompson home. LE later said that the address was in error and gave this explanation: An officer who was at the Thompson home was called to an unrelated burglary call and made the arrest of 4 individuals but when he filed his report, he forgot to change the address. If you check the Clay County Daily for 11/21, you will find the correct information now.

CWG's name on the MPR was a result of mistaken identity according to LE.

There is really no difference YET in Version III and Version IV of the Facts list. (ETA: Now there is!)

When I make an update or edit, I'll put a star in front of the entry. :star1:

I'm still catching up in the thread but want to throw this in for reference.

WEDNESDAY 10/21
Somer's body found at around 3:30 p.m.

THURSDAY 10/22
LE goes to Gano House in the afternoon. ETA(The spot where Somer disappeared is about three blocks from the school. Investigators returned there Thursday afternoon seeking evidence in a vacant house, trash bin and surrounding property at 1080 Gano.) Working at 11:30 p.m. when the digging equipment arrives. Works until 1:30 a.m. (Friday morning).

LE talks with James V. owner of construction company working at Gano house.

LE talks with Kyle (assumption on my part), assistant of James V.
LE talks with G. Chris V., brother of James V. and an RSO, who worked at Gano house months ago but was not at the house on October 19. Source

FRIDAY 10/23
LE to Gano House at WHAT TIME?

LE talks with G. Chris V., brother of James V., an RSO, who worked at Gano house months ago but was not at the house on October 19. Source

Ryan Hughes (reporter for WFTV) talks with Kyle. Source

8:45 p.m. Yellow tape that surrounded home taken down. Source

Note: The source for info about G. Chris V., Ryan talking with Kyle, the yellow tape, the Georgia ME not releasing the body in time for the services, and there being 50 detectives assigned is the same video.

I have an idea - maybe if each one of us sends an email to one of the talking heads (NG, JVM, etc), and express our anger & outrage at no information & misinformation in this case, maybe they'll cover this story and get some answers. We should pick one talking head & everyone send an email... surely the sheriff would feel the need to defend his department & possibly explain all of the inconsistencies in this case. Just an idea - what do you sleuthers think?

I did leave a comment on NG's FB page about a week ago because I was so mad. She was still covering balloon boy, but absolutely NO mention of Somer! :furious: I'll email her now. (It ain't gonna be pretty)

There is really no difference YET in Version III and Version IV of the Facts list.

When I make an update or edit, I'll put a star in front of the entry. :star1:

Would a notation about LE making the unusual "suggestion" of No one outside of LE viewing the body be useful? We don't know if even the funeral home viewed her or provided any services other than the casket. Is there a way to know if the casket was sent directly to the ME and sealed there, or whether the body by itself arrived at the funeral home?

Would a notation about LE making the unusual "suggestion" of No one outside of LE viewing the body be useful? We don't know if even the funeral home viewed her or provided any services other than the casket. Is there a way to know if the casket was sent directly to the ME and sealed there, or whether the body by itself arrived at the funeral home?

Is it a fact that LE made the suggestion? I saw it reported at one source but am not sure.

I know her body was sent to the ME in Savannah, GA and that later, the ME released her body (although initial reports said it was not going to be) in time for the services.

I also wondered whether they had not really buried her body, but that was so "out there" I kept it to myself. LOL until now.

If her body was in there, it was embalmed, and the funeral home would have done that, not the medical examiner.

I did leave a comment on NG's FB page about a week ago because I was so mad. She was still covering balloon boy, but absolutely NO mention of Somer! :furious: I'll email her now. (It ain't gonna be pretty)

Thanks my little songbird...... I will do the same. Please, anyone else reading do the same. Majority rules, right??? And not my kids, since you have a past with Larry King, can you work on him? Maybe a little glare from the media will give LE a motive to release some information. This is just too much - they want the public's help, then they complain that the tips they are receiving are slowing the investigation down... they find her body within 48 hours of her missing, based on a "hunch". Other children are a risk & they're giving the community no information whatsoever! That's just wrong on so many levels.

Most funeral directors also are trained, licensed, and practicing embalmers. Embalming is a sanitary, cosmetic, and preservative process through which the body is prepared for interment. If more than 24 hours elapse between death and interment, State laws usually require that the remains be refrigerated or embalmed.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos011.htm

I sent one to NG, too. But, mine I hope will tweak her interest. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar so, I was flattering while I begged! HA!

Houndstooth ... this was what I found. Source

BBM

Somer’s casket was closed for the viewing and it was recommended her mother not view her daughter. Thompson has a lock of her daughter’s hair.

“It just probably was better to keep the memory of her alive the last time she saw her rather than her present condition,” Beseler said. “It’s just a recommendation. You’ve got to remember she was in a landfill for a couple of days.”

ETA (and this)
At the request of investigators, the casket was closed at a viewing Monday evening at First Baptist Church of Orange Park. After what is expected to be a capacity crowd for a memorial service Tuesday morning, mourners plan to release thousands of purple balloons and line Kingsley Avenue and Blanding Boulevard during the procession to a private graveside service at Jacksonville Memory Gardens.

Source

Noway.........
Thanks so much for the post #2 every thread.
It is great reference since we have no forum!!

LMAO

I was having computer issues but NOTHING like passionflower was. And I said "you're welcome" to every one of those posts! Were there 5?

OMGosh, guys what happened?
It posted so many times, hope I deleted

Houndstooth ... this was what I found. Source

BBM

Somer’s casket was closed for the viewing and it was recommended her mother not view her daughter. Thompson has a lock of her daughter’s hair.

“It just probably was better to keep the memory of her alive the last time she saw her rather than her present condition,” Beseler said. “It’s just a recommendation. You’ve got to remember she was in a landfill for a couple of days.”

ETA (and this)
At the request of investigators, the casket was closed at a viewing Monday evening at First Baptist Church of Orange Park. After what is expected to be a capacity crowd for a memorial service Tuesday morning, mourners plan to release thousands of purple balloons and line Kingsley Avenue and Blanding Boulevard during the procession to a private graveside service at Jacksonville Memory Gardens.

Source

The point is that is a discussion that the funeral home would have with the parents, not LE. The story is not posted any more (as so many aren't), that stated specifically that LE had "requested" that the casket be closed to viewing. But, I also saw where "suggested" was used in other stories as well.

The sheriff's interest would be from a LE standpoint, not the sensibilities of the family. However, it is a way of keeping COD and other info tight with reason, without raising the eyebrows of many. It still raises mine though.

Not only is there no mention of Somer by LE, MSM, talking heads etc., there are also NO upcoming events/fund raisers. Hmmmm

fyi,

I have added a section and an entry:

:star1:LAW ENFORCEMENT
:star1: Investigators made the request / recommendation that Somer's casket be closed.

I sent one to NG, too. But, mine I hope will tweak her interest. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar so, I was flattering while I begged! HA!

:angel:I tried to be nice, honest I did! :innocent:

Thank you for your email to the Nancy Grace show.

This auto reply is your notification that we have received your email. While we are unable to personally reply to every e-mail, your comments are important to us, and we do read each and every one. Comments become part of the viewer response report that is prepared and made available each day to our producers and senior management. If you have mistakenly submitted a question or story idea through this comments section, please allow time for it to be tagged as such and routed to the appropriate persons for handling.

BBM

1) Good morning fellow WSers
2) Thank you noway, you rock with keeping us organized! The fact lists you have been providing of late are a HUGE help in keeping the fact seperated from the conjecture.
3) Completely OFF topic: Did anyone notice that NG was rehashing the whole jon/kate ugliness this weekend?!? WTF? If she is going to re-run stories could she at least pick one that isn't months old? While on the subject how the heck does HLN keep getting away with the whole BREAKING NEWS / LIVE! etc. garbage when in fact it is almost NEVER breaking news or live?????

Sorry, rant concluded, I will now return you to your regularly scheduled sleuthing.

Is it a fact that LE made the suggestion? I saw it reported at one source but am not sure.

I know her body was sent to the ME in Savannah, GA and that later, the ME released her body (although initial reports said it was not going to be) in time for the services.

I also wondered whether they had not really buried her body, but that was so "out there" I kept it to myself. LOL until now.

If her body was in there, it was embalmed, and the funeral home would have done that, not the medical examiner.

Hey Noway,

I don't think that your suspicion is all that out there! Considering.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer