Start Saving Up! You'll Need More Than a Few Clams to Buy This!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
capt.photo_1259348598828-1-0.jpg

Photo handout received from Bonhams auctioneers shows the second-largest pearl ever found. The second-largest pearl ever found is up for auction next month where it is expected to fetch up to 250,000 pounds, auctioneers Bonhams said in London Friday.
(AFP/Bonhams)

:eek:

What would you even do with a pearl that size? I'm jealous and angry that someone is going to spend that much money on something so frivolous. I should've married a rich guy.

]What would you even do with a pearl that size?[/B] I'm jealous and angry that someone is going to spend that much money on something so frivolous. I should've married a rich guy.

A very, very, very, very large necklace or brooch. :woohoo:

A necklace, hmm...Have a gold clock face put on it, and sell it to Flav-o-Flav. That's an awesome signature, btw.

You're right, it does. I'd like to eat the oyster it came from!

Wow, I had no idea what a raw pearl looked like. I thought they were already round inside the oyster. Sometimes I am amazed at my own ignorance! Hopefully schools are better today than when I was a child.

I wonder who ever got the idea of making these big globs round and polishing them?

You're right, it does. I'd like to eat the oyster it came from!

Oyster steak!! :crazy:

Wow, I had no idea what a raw pearl looked like. I thought they were already round inside the oyster. Sometimes I am amazed at my own ignorance! Hopefully schools are better today than when I was a child.

I wonder who ever got the idea of making these big globs round and polishing them?

Most of them are round. This one is so huge I don't think those rules apply to it. They say the way to tell real pearls is to run them across your teeth.

http://gochina.about.com/od/shopping/p/BuyingPearls.htm

Avoiding Fakes:

Telling the difference between imitation pearls and the real ones is quite simple: the tooth test! When you rub a real pearl - natural or cultured - across your teeth, the pearl will feel slightly gritty. Do the same with a fake and it's likely to feel smooth and slippery.

If you're still having trouble deciding whether it's real, ask the vendor to scrape the pearl with a knife. Powder will result in scraping a real pearl, a white plastic bead will be revealed from a fake pearl.

http://www.pearls.com/Education/CHARACTORISTICS/PEARL_CHARACTORISTICS.asp

Shape
Shapes range in descending order of value from round to semi-round, from off-round to oval and from drop to baroque. Generally the shapes from round to drop are pretty symmetrical, while anything baroque denotes a pearl that is completely asymmetrical or free-form. The more spherical (rounder) and symmetrical the pearl, the more valuable it will be. Irregular shaped pearls can be very attractive and are usually less expensive than round pearls.

SHAPE.jpg

I work at a place that sells Paspaley pearls---some of those pearls are huge! I wish the photo identified the size of the pearl in the ring next to the Great White Brain!

I work at a place that sells Paspaley pearls---some of those pearls are huge! I wish the photo identified the size of the pearl in the ring next to the Great White Brain!

Didn't even notice the pearl ring next to the Great White Brain! Thanks for pointing that out! :banghead:

Oyster steak!! :crazy:

Most of them are round. This one is so huge I don't think those rules apply to it. They say the way to tell real pearls is to run them across your teeth.

<...>

Thanks for that useful information! So I guess this pearl is a less desirable shape but that is secondary to its size. Imagine its value if it was this big and also round.

Thanks for that useful information! So I guess this pearl is a less desirable shape but that is secondary to its size. Imagine its value if it was this big and also round.

If I had a nickel for every time a woman said that to me...:blushing:

"It is the pearl of the world!" Kino thought excitedly. --John Steinbeck's The Pearl

(A little English teacher humor)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8_KGHbrOI[/ame]

capt.photo_1259348598828-1-0.jpg

Photo handout received from Bonhams auctioneers shows the second-largest pearl ever found. The second-largest pearl ever found is up for auction next month where it is expected to fetch up to 250,000 pounds, auctioneers Bonhams said in London Friday.
(AFP/Bonhams)

:eek:

It looks like a brain. What would you do with it? I guess it could be used as a paperweight.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back