CANADA Canada - Whitney, Ont, WhtMale HC95, 18-29, @ Algonquin Park campsite, Apr'80

Venom Goose

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase95.html

It is interesting in that it does not say if the remains were skeletonized, etc, but I am assuming so, due to the fact that more remains were found in 1995.

ETA: I believe he was found in Algonquin Provincial Park.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 95

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on April 19, 1980 in Whitney, Ontario, Canada
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 18-29 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9"-5'11" (175-180 cm); 135-145 lbs. (61-65 kg) Thin build
Distinguishing Characteristics:Blond hair, approximately 6 to 11 inches long possibly worn in a ponytail.
Clothing: Belt, size 36, which shows wear at 32" hole; green, kahki military style jacket; thick, black, knitted sweater; jeans; low-cut boots, size 11.
Personal Effects: Personal effects include one - 8 cent stamp issued between July 1, 1971 and September 1, 1976; a black, down-filled sleeping bag with a nylon outer shell; a folding camp stove; aluminum camper's pot with lid; black wallet containing stamp and twenty dollar bill fragments; cigarette filters.
Dentals: Not available
Case History
The remains of this young adult male were located in Algonquin Park in Whitney, Ontario on April 19, 1980. He was at a campsite at Lot 19, Con 8, Peck Township, Hardwood Lookout Trail. Additional remains were located in 1995.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Ontario Provincial Police Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies/Remains Unit
1-877-934-6363 - Toll Free in North America 705-330-4144 - Local or outside of North America
Email
OR
Crime Stoppers
1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:

This is one of those cases that I've checked out periodically without finding much in terms of additional information or matches.

Based on his lifestyle, I'm wonder if Richard Lane has been looked at. He fits the timeline and the description of "tall thin male" w/ blonde hair.

Without much to go on, I submitted Richard Lane to compare to this UID.

Already received a reply from the Ontario Provincial Police ...

I also asked if any more information, photos, descriptors, etc.. is available for the UID

"Thank you for this information and your interest in the case.

Your information has been passed on to the investigating officer."

new information on this case will be shared with the public in a press conference on July 25 2017.

Thank-you Aragon, looking forward to the update.

Have always felt this could be the remains of John Walter Zuern -

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2008015999&id=5

What is not clear in the RCMP info is that John Zuern was missing for 5 years before his family reported him as missing. A detective in charge of JZ's case advised a couple of years ago or so that he had JZ's dentals compared to this uid male and there was no match. Unfortunately the detective did not know who had provided JZ's dentals 5 or more years after he was missing.

Hoping this uid has his name back or a renewed push is on to find his name.

Just wanted to update that the press conference has been moved to the next day: Wednesday July 26 at 11 am.

image.jpg

OPP released the three-dimensional model at a news conference in Orillia, Ont. on Wednesday.

They hope the new reconstruction will prompt the public, friends or co-workers of the man to come forward with new information to help identify the man.
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/opp-hope-n...man-remains-found-in-algonquin-park-1.3519842

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/opp-forensics-1.4222770

In April 1980, a hiker veered off the Hardwood Lookout Trail in Algonquin Provincial Park — and stumbled across human remains.

A police search of the area near Whitney, Ont. soon after uncovered a size 11 boot, a black sleeping bag, a pair of Levi's jeans, a belt worn out at the 32-inch hole, a camp stove, and a wallet with no identification.

After another search of the area 15 years later led to the discovery of more remains, and forensic anthropological analysis painted a picture of who the man was. Caucasian. Around 18 to 29-years-old. Long blonde or brown hair. And a slim build. His belt was worn out right at the 32-inch hole.

One piece was particularly intriguing for police — the man's clothes were found piled neatly beside a sleeping bag. "That led investigators to believe at the time that the individual likely got undressed to sleep," says Ontario Provincial Police Det. Insp. Rob Matthews.

Much more info and pic in above link

Thanks Dushi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/opp-forensics-1.4222770

In April 1980, a hiker veered off the Hardwood Lookout Trail in Algonquin Provincial Park — and stumbled across human remains.

A police search of the area near Whitney, Ont. soon after uncovered a size 11 boot, a black sleeping bag, a pair of Levi's jeans, a belt worn out at the 32-inch hole, a camp stove, and a wallet with no identification.

After another search of the area 15 years later led to the discovery of more remains, and forensic anthropological analysis painted a picture of who the man was. Caucasian. Around 18 to 29-years-old. Long blonde or brown hair. And a slim build. His belt was worn out right at the 32-inch hole.

One piece was particularly intriguing for police — the man's clothes were found piled neatly beside a sleeping bag. "That led investigators to believe at the time that the individual likely got undressed to sleep," says Ontario Provincial Police Det. Insp. Rob Matthews.

Much more info and pic in above link

This UID is intriguing!
attachment.php

Do you know this man? An Ontario Provincial Police forensic artist made this 3-D reconstruction on the skull of a man whose remains were found in Algonquin Park in 1980. Decades later, his identity remains a mystery. (Ontario Provincial Police)

Attachments

• missing-man.jpg
    missing-man.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 165
I wish we had more details of his clothing. Name brands and such. Levis jeans I believe where big in the 80s I don't know how "cheap" they would have been.
Was it a good sleeping bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://wawa-news.com/index.php/2017/07/26/opp-use-clay-facial-reconstruction-in-hopes-of-identification/

The cause of death is not known. But information recovered from the scene and a stamp found in the wallet led analysts to determine that his death occurred between July 1, 1971 and Spring of 1978. Commissioner Vince Hawkes was joined at the news conference by Detective Inspector Rob Matthews of the OPP Criminal Investigations Branch, Forensic Anthropologist Dr. Kathy Gruspier of the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service and OPP Forensic Artist/Reconstruction Analyst, Provincial Constable Duncan Way.

Anyone with new information on the case can calla dedicated missing persons hotline toll-free at 1-877-934-6363 (1-877-9-FINDME) in Canada only or 1-705-330-4144 from outside Canada. You can also submit information by e-mail at opp.isb.resolve@opp.ca

“Through innovation, technology and the expert work of the OPP Forensic Artist and our partnership with the Office of the Chief Coroner and the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service, we are hopeful we can identify this person and bring resolution to his loved ones. They deserve to know what happened to him.”- Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Vince Hawkes.

Attachments

• ClayFace2.jpg
    ClayFace2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 161

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members