Transgender Teen: McDonald's Refused To Hire Me

Lovejac

Reaction score
http://www.kpho.com/news/21889424/detail.html

Zikerria Bellamy, 17, said two managers at an Orlando restaurant wouldn't give her an interview on two separate occasions in July. Later, she said a manager left her a voice mail, using a gay slur to let her know she wouldn't be hired.

Well, if this is the case, it was a poor choice on behalf of the McDonalds where she interviewed. Quite frankly, it makes no sense to me-what did they care and how did the issue come up if the first place?

The voice mail is on youtube:
[video=youtube;zCXOCsfl5Js]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXOCsfl5Js[/video]

I don't believe it. There is more to this story for sure.

She should go to Walmart. There's a young guy working at my local store who dresses like a girl, wearing make up and blouse. He doesn't even look at all female at this time anyway and did his job just fine.

I bet McDonalds fired the people involved. They do not tolerate discrimination and this is also bad publicity for them.

Something doesn't sound right about that voicemail. It's like the McDonald's employee took the "deception" (as he saw it) personally. Maybe he had been hitting on her and then when he found out she was TG, he got upset about that??? I'm just speculating because that voicemail seems over-the-top about lying, etc. JMO.

Edited to add: he was still wrong, though, regardless of WHY he felt the need to leave the voicemail. He was representing McDonald's when he left the voicemail and consequently I think a) he will be fired and b) I think she has a case for a lawsuit against McD. The line where he says, "We do not hire fa...ts" is basis alone. If that's not discrimination, I don't know what is.

They did fire the employee who left the phone message because they do have zero tolerance. I am a little disappointed by the "lawsuit" being threatened. I think I would have more respect for her if she would apply again...jmo.

Our local McDonald's can never get the orders right. I say if this young lady can do a good job then she should be hired. I don't care what her sexual preference is, gender, or how she dresses. She's going to be wearing a uniform anyway. She looks very feminine to me.

Wonder if she'll sue and get mega bucks from McDonald's?

I was about to dismiss this until I heard the Voicemail. McD's would have been home free if that voicemail was never left.

I also think there is more to the story than meets the eye here. It really sounds like he thought she was a girl and was maybe hitting on her and found out the truth. Its no excuse for that message left but it really does sound like more than she is saying.

Something doesn't sound right about that voicemail. It's like the McDonald's employee took the "deception" (as he saw it) personally. Maybe he had been hitting on her and then when he found out she was TG, he got upset about that??? I'm just speculating because that voicemail seems over-the-top about lying, etc. JMO.

Edited to add: he was still wrong, though, regardless of WHY he felt the need to leave the voicemail. He was representing McDonald's when he left the voicemail and consequently I think a) he will be fired and b) I think she has a case for a lawsuit against McD. The line where he says, "We do not hire fa...ts" is basis alone. If that's not discrimination, I don't know what is.

That was my thought too... maybe she even flirted with him a little bit then he freaked when someone told him she was TG.

I think he probably thought she'd be too embarassed to do anything about it, that's why he "braved" a voice mail. Well, good for her for standing up for herself and her rights.

yeah, aside from the slur, that message is way too personal for a manager to leave an applicant

weird

I don't get the part about lying about age. "You told me you were seventeen." Sounds like this person was 17, so did he think she was older or younger? And how did he verify this?

I think it's correct that he was probably flirting with her, or using his capacity to interview people to hit on women, and was then embarrassed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back