GUILTY AK - Nick Chamberlain for near-fatal stabbing of ex-GF, 17, Anchorage, 7 Dec 2009

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
<snip>

Suspect tricked stabbing victim, police say

ATTEMPTED MURDER: Charges say Service teen told victim to shut eyes to receive a ring before he knifed her.

JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com

Published: December 9th, 2009 05:53 PM
Last Modified: December 9th, 2009 06:06 PM

Nick Chamberlain walked with his former high-school sweetheart into the woods behind Service High School on Monday during lunch break with the promise of a silver ring, told her to close her eyes and lift her head, then plunged a pocket knife into her neck, according to documents filed in court Tuesday charging him with attempted murder.

He continued stabbing the girl until he had inflicted 29 wounds, the documents say.

The attack was so brutal that at one point he bent the 2 1/2 inch blade of the folding knife he was using. The attack ended only after a skier confronted the 16-year-old student, who shouted curses and slashed at the man, spattering the witness's glasses with blood. The boy then walked off into the woods, according to court documents.

According to the documents, Chamberlain told police he had been dating the girl for about nine months but that the pair broke up a week ago and she was seeing someone else. He planned to give her a ring on Monday, he told police, and lured her out with that promise. Whether there really was a ring remained unclear.

"He claims that there was," Assistant District Attorney Clint Campion said Tuesday, adding that the investigation is ongoing. "We haven't found it yet."

According to an affidavit Campion filed in court, Chamberlain told the girl to stand under a tree near the school just before noon with her eyes closed and head lifted while he performed a "magic trick." The girl, however, was cold and wanted to go back inside.

"He took the knife out of his pants pocket while her eyes were closed, opened the blade and plunged it into the left side of her neck," Campion wrote. "He heard (the girl) screaming and begging (him) to stop. He kept stabbing her as she screamed and even when confronted by witnesses. ... At one point, he admitted that the knife blade bent as he stabbed her in the skull, so he put that blade away and opened a saw-type blade, continuing to stab her."

more here :(

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/1045938.html

Story on the search for the "suspect"

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/1044566.html

Victim of Service High stabbing may leave hospital soon

Lory Miebs, 17, was stabbed at least 29 times by her ex-boyfriend after he lured her to the woods behind the school with the promise of a silver ring, according to police and prosecutors. Miebs suffered injuries to her head, neck, back, arms and legs and was initially listed in critical condition, though she was stabilized after undergoing surgery, police said.

In a brief phone interview Wednesday, her mother, Lynn Miebs, said Lory is alert, conscious and holding up pretty well, considering the circumstances. She's still in the hospital but could be released in the next few days, her mother said.

"She's doing well," Lynn Miebs said. "We appreciate all the prayers and all the support from the school, from everyone in the community."

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/1048813.html

Prayers for this girl & her family & friends....it's just horrifying what has happened.

OMG! This poor girl. Prayers for her family - lots of them!

May the fry!

Salem

There is something so thoroughly chilling about a victim being set up for a "surprise" and then being attacked. Evil to the core. He was NOT going to give up his plan. No hope for this guy whatsoever. That young lady must be a strong fighter. I'd really like to hear what his family, friends, and teachers have to say about this boy.

One of the posts in the linked news article seemed to be from someone who knew the boy. I get the impression he originally was at a different hs and he was advised by the school to get 'help' with his anger issues. Instead of getting help, he changed schools.

Whether true or not, he definitely DOES have ANGER management problems. Thank goodness this young girl survived. I wish her nothing but the best.

JMHO
fran

what a brave boy!!! ITA -- he's a super kid!!

<snip>

The student who says he saw the attack, Zackery Sebwenna, says he decided to go for a walk during the lunch break when he heard something.

"All we heard was screaming, like ‘Help me,' we thought there was just like kids just messing around, but then it got serious," Sebwenna said.

When he got a closer look, he saw the attack and the knife.

"I see this guy on top of this girl, so I pull him off, and he starts cursing at me, to get away from him," he said.

It was no use, Sebwenna says.

"He wouldn't stop just stabbing her, so, we saw a skier, we called for him to help, and he called 911, and the kid just ran off," he said.

"He looked pretty intent on killing her," Sebwenna said.

He says he didn't think twice about confronting the student who he says was trying to kill the girl.

"I can't just like let some guy murder a girl right in front of me, I just can't do that," he said.

Even after the event, Sebwenna struggles to recount what he saw.

"I don't think I could put it into words, I thought it was gruesome," he said.

Sebwenna's dad is having trouble finding the right words too -- to describe the pride he has for his son who tried to stop the attack.

"It's indescribable… He's a super kid," Ron Wise said.

more here

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=11635087

post #4 on this forum says Chamberlain was trying to get a co-worker's 16yo daughter to date him...:eek:...there's some pics of Chamberlain & he does have that Richard Ramirez Night Stalker look about him

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-topic/2484200-hes-a-good-kid.html

One of the posts in the linked news article seemed to be from someone who knew the boy. I get the impression he originally was at a different hs and he was advised by the school to get 'help' with his anger issues. Instead of getting help, he changed schools.

Whether true or not, he definitely DOES have ANGER management problems. Thank goodness this young girl survived. I wish her nothing but the best.

JMHO
fran

I saw a post -- moosemuffin wrote on 12/08/2009 00:40:30 AM-- this poster says s/he met Chamberlain a few years ago & something wasn't "quite right" about him...said he seemed desperate for attention but went about trying to get it negatively and that "no one wanted to be around him".

Just guessing that he may have many reasons for being angry - and that includes being excluded.

This post -- t_ak907 wrote on 12/07/2009 08:20:42 PM: -- says that poster was in 6th grade w/ Chamberlain & said he was "very quiet with hardly any friends".

Sure makes me think this kid didn't have a happy home life - and the situation didn't start a few days ago...JMOOOC.

Oh this is so scary!! You teach your kids to treat people the way you want to be treated. You teach them right from wrong. You protect them the best you can. The only thing is you never know the home life of the other child. Every guy my daughter talks to (she's 13 going on 21) I grill her about. what does his his parents do for a living? where exactly in our town does he live? does he have older siblings? what kind of music does he listen too? what are his hobbies? She says I stalk them. I don't care what she thinks. this type of thing is my worst nightmare. i can protect her in my care, but I worry about school and the bus.

Oh and most important I go on her myspace. YES I have the passwords. I check out her friends, and if she is talking to a new boy I check his myspace comments, friends, and family on there.

you may think I'm crazy, but she is my child and her safety is my number one concern.

jnTexas--You honestly think that there's a chance in heck that a single person on this board thinks you're crazy?? Think again. You are just being a good Mom. I've gotten permission from my oldest kids to lurk on their Myspace pages as they keep their younger siblings as friends. That way, I can keep track of a lot of stuff. My only suggestion is to give your daughter lots of praise for making good decisions and keep the lines of communication open. You go, Girl.

Concerning Zackery...I think we're looking at a future police officer. What a brave young man. His family and the young lady's family must be so proud and impressed with his courage.

I'm scared to hear about the isolation and the anti-social markers about this boy. That describes my son with Conduct Disorder to a "T". Once, when he couldn't get a third grade classmate to answer him (because he was being rude), he shoved her so hard she broke her wrist. When he was rebuffed by another girl in high school, he stalked her until he got arrested. When I confronted him once about stealing, he knocked me out cold and then stole money out of my purse. The words used to describe this attacker are identical. This young man frightens me to the core. Thank God that Zackery came along.

Oh this is so scary!! You teach your kids to treat people the way you want to be treated. You teach them right from wrong. You protect them the best you can. The only thing is you never know the home life of the other child. Every guy my daughter talks to (she's 13 going on 21) I grill her about. what does his his parents do for a living? where exactly in our town does he live? does he have older siblings? what kind of music does he listen too? what are his hobbies? She says I stalk them. I don't care what she thinks. this type of thing is my worst nightmare. i can protect her in my care, but I worry about school and the bus.

Oh and most important I go on her myspace. YES I have the passwords. I check out her friends, and if she is talking to a new boy I check his myspace comments, friends, and family on there.

you may think I'm crazy, but she is my child and her safety is my number one concern.

Call me crazy then!!

Notice the mother of Chamberlain says, "But he's a good kid". That's called denial. Families are going to have to wake up and look at their kids with honest eyes. If they need help, get it NOW!!!

For the record, I would tell you that I care deeply about my son but I would never say he's a "good kid" because he's not. He's polite (when he wants something), helpful, dresses decently, and can be a hard worker. But he's most notably irritating, mean-spirited, vindictive, narcissistic, has no understanding of consequences, no fear of punishment, rude, disrespectful of authority, and takes no responsibility for his actions.

What would you bet that Chamberlain says, "Well, I wouldn't have stabbed her if she would have just gone out with me. She made me do it. Sorry, man." That is exactly what my son would say.

This mother better wake up right now and smell the coffee.

I am in complete AWE that this girl survived such a brutal attack and equally in awe that this young man stepped in to help her regardless of the danger.

God bless them both!

I studied Chamberlain's photos and I'm sorry, he doesn't look scary to me in the least. Maybe I spend too much time around "scary" kids but I don't see "evil" at all. In fact, I think he's quite attractive and has none of the outward markers for prenatal substance exposure or developmental disability IMO.

I know the evil is there but it isn't obvious. Isn't that even more frightening?

How is it that this boy had not one but TWO knives on him at school?

All I have to say is :woohoo: Zack!!!

Your parents should be proud!!!

Different schools have different rules about knives. Maybe I missed something but I assumed he had a Swiss Army knife. The article describes him using one blade and then pulling out the saw blade. That's typical of all Swiss Army/Victorinox knives. I would think that in a some districts (especially Alaska), a pocket knife would be acceptable. JMO

And remember, few schools have metal detectors. There's no telling what kids have in their pockets. With this kid's anger, he could have used a sharpened stick, a piece of fencing wire, or even a pencil and killed the girl!!

http://alaskapride.blogspot.com/2009/12/anchorage-service-high-school-student.html

The victim was stabbed 29 times with a folding pocketknife, police said, and suffered severe wounds to her leg, back and stomach. She underwent surgery for a collapsed lung. The charging document discloses more specific locations of the wounds:

-- Left middle knuckle
-- Left forearm
-- Left wrist
-- Right shin
-- 8-10 wounds in the upper left arm and left shoulder
-- Under the left eye
-- On the left side of her neck under her ear
-- Palm of her right hand
-- Right forearm
-- Right upper arm
-- Right bicep
-- Four wounds near her collarbone on the right side
-- Two wounds to the right side of her cheek
-- Eight on her upper back
-- Two to the back of her neck

I think it is extremely fortunate that this monster only managed to get three wounds on the young lady's face. The skin will heal. The heart and spirit will take a lot longer but it sounds as if she's a fighter.

jnTexas--You honestly think that there's a chance in heck that a single person on this board thinks you're crazy?? Think again. You are just being a good Mom. I've gotten permission from my oldest kids to lurk on their Myspace pages as they keep their younger siblings as friends. That way, I can keep track of a lot of stuff. My only suggestion is to give your daughter lots of praise for making good decisions and keep the lines of communication open. You go, Girl.

Concerning Zackery...I think we're looking at a future police officer. What a brave young man. His family and the young lady's family must be so proud and impressed with his courage.

I'm scared to hear about the isolation and the anti-social markers about this boy. That describes my son with Conduct Disorder to a "T". Once, when he couldn't get a third grade classmate to answer him (because he was being rude), he shoved her so hard she broke her wrist. When he was rebuffed by another girl in high school, he stalked her until he got arrested. When I confronted him once about stealing, he knocked me out cold and then stole money out of my purse. The words used to describe this attacker are identical. This young man frightens me to the core. Thank God that Zackery came along.

Great post. I have a 12 year old and have access to his MS page, and monitor his You Tube hits. He's not allowed to post, but can view. Gmail has a cool feature that allows all e-mails to be forwarded. Guess what - they're forwarded to me. He knows all this and understands.

Something seriously went wrong along the way with this killer. I wonder what it was. I worry about video games that my son plays (Call of Duty 4) I just don't like it. But do I take everything away. He plays in the living room where I can watch, but wonder if there is going to be an underlying violent effect when he gets older.

I'm sorry you experienced violence. Why do you think it's so prevelant these days? I'm 46, and back in the day kids actually behaved in school. And I never heard of a classmate stabbing another. It makes me want to cry.

Hugs,

Mel

BBM
LOL! :thumb: Crazy like a fox, maybe. If MORE parents were as caring and concerned as you, these types of sad events would happen far less often, IMO. Stalk on!

From TM's first link....
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/1045938.html
Chamberlain's grandmother, speaking to reporters after Tuesday's court hearing, said he was a good kid who had some problems. Margaret Abraham, 60, said Chamberlain had been going to West High School before a counselor suggested he go into therapy -- she said she didn't remember what the trouble was -- but he never went.

The family moved and he started going to Service, she said. Back when they first started dating, Chamberlain had taken the victim to the prom. He was devastated after she started seeing someone else, she said.

"He really wanted to marry her one day," a tearful Abraham said. "She would go back to that guy and it would just break his heart."

Is it common practice for school counselors to suggest therapy for troubled students but never follow-up? If so, there's something wrong with that. Was he expelled from West High? I'm assuming he was. What's up with his parent(s) not getting him the therapy as suggested? They just move away, instead? What the....? Seems to be another case of a troubled kid falling through the cracks.

And what's Grandma babblin' about? :waitasec:Do I sense a little "blaming the victim" or is it my imagination?

Zack saved Lory's life! So young and already a hero. Lory and Zack will have a friend in each other for life. Bless them both, their families and community.
Prayers for Nick, also. I believe he needs them just as much, if not more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back