Is there any possibility of a Plea Deal on the Murder Charges?

Do you think this case will end in a plea agreement?

• Yes

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • no

Votes: 100 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iluvmua

Reaction score
Is it too late for Casey to take a plea deal? and if she did, would she get LIPWOP?

But she would have to take it before her murder trial starts right? what about her Check Fraud trial?

Does anybody think she will plead guilty and not risk going to trial?

KC has gotten too much attention by being silent, she will never admit or tell what she did not even when she takes her last walk .

She is not normal and no normal behavior can be attributed to her.

IMO, JB isn't going to let her take a plea. I think this could've been over long ago if it weren't for him. Remember that time in the car with LE - when they said they could either go somewhere and she would give them info or she could go to jail? She chose to talk but said she should ask JB first. He, of course, put the nix on that and told LE to just take her to jail. He's not going to let her take a plea. This high profile trial is his time to shine (or so he thinks). This is exactly why the bar investigated him for having a hidden agenda. IMO, he definitely does.

The only reason I can think of for the state to offer a plea deal at this point would be to save the costs of the trial, or for the guaranteed conviction. I don't know how much they need either of those.

It's hard for me to envision KC accepting a plea deal because she would have to admit guilt to something, and that is just not her. I think she probably still thinks she's going to walk scott-free, simply because she always has gotten away with all her wrongdoings.

I think Lyon would like KC to accept a plea deal so that she can put it down as a 'win' in avoiding the DP for a client.

I think Baez wanted a trial for a long time for self-serving reasons, but I think he'd be open to a deal at this point. It's just much more than he ever imagined in the beginning, and way over his head.

I would not be surprised if Baden would just as soon be out of this mess.

What's really something to me is that if KC had accepted the state's deal when it was on the table prior to Caylee's body being found, she would have likely gotten away with just a few years in prison, and there would have been nothing the state could have done when Caylee's body was found. I do wonder if KC kicks herself now for not having accepted a deal way back when.

MOO

Hypothetically speaking,
If KC is innocent of premeditated murder, would any plea deal resulting in jail time be acceptable?

Just one quick note.
Rhornsby let us know that in Florida there is only life in prison and life means life.IOW, there aren't options like Life with parole or without parole.
Just plain old life :)

ETA: I went ahead and closed the old threads on this topic because so much has changed. But here are some of them for reading and reference:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89862&highlight=plea

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76088&highlight=plea

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70219&highlight=plea

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76483&highlight=plea

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78554&highlight=plea

Hypothetically speaking,
If KC is innocent of premeditated murder, would any plea deal resulting in jail time be acceptable?

Yes it would. Her Behavior over the past year has more than earned her a lengthy prison term imo. The amount of money and resources wasted alone is appalling - thousands upon thousands of people including LE were searching for her child while she did nothing - how many kids may have been helped during that time? Also, the innocent people who have been dragged through the mud including the grunds, her friends, LE, prosecutors and texas equusearch, and the searchers is disgusting as well. How many people will pass on searching for a missing child now - since the defense wants records of all the searchers (they may not want their private lives made public).

Last but not least, the wonderful precedent being set in this case that if you find a body, just keep quiet about it, or you will become a scapegoat for the defense and be accused of murder have your life investigated for the world to see. Just my opinion, but nothing is too bad for Casey at this point. She had a chance to do the right and honest thing if she is innocent but she chose not to.

Hypothetically speaking,
Do you mean if she is innocent of premeditated murder but guilty of a lesser offense like manslaughter or something? I am not sure what you are asking.

So, even if the state offered a plea and Casey took it, the deal would be LWOP instead of the DP. I am not so sure the state, at this point, would even discuss it.

Is it too late for Casey to take a plea deal? and if she did, would she get LIPWOP?

But she would have to take it before her murder trial starts right? what about her Check Fraud trial?

Baez talked about this less than a MONTH AGO to CF News 13 (11/21/09). There is video of him along with the story.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/11/21/will_anthony_take_a_plea_deal.html

Don't know if the SA would or not, or even if a deal like this is possible, but it seems to me that maybe 40-50 years, with no possibility of parole until then, just to save the ENORMOUS cost that this trial will be, would not be a bad deal.

Casey would be an old lady of 60-70, her parents would have likely have passed on by then, and she would have nobody but Lee when she got out. No real friends, no job, nothing. And nobody would care at that point, would be a little News coverage, but no major story. IMO

IMO, JB isn't going to let her take a plea. I think this could've been over long ago if it weren't for him. Remember that time in the car with LE - when they said they could either go somewhere and she would give them info or she could go to jail? She chose to talk but said she should ask JB first. He, of course, put the nix on that and told LE to just take her to jail. He's not going to let her take a plea. This high profile trial is his time to shine (or so he thinks). This is exactly why the bar investigated him for having a hidden agenda. IMO, he definitely does.

Not being disgreeable, I promise-'cause I think JB is a stinky atty...but I believe KC just wanted to dodge the cops that day, but did not have the fortitude to do it-I think she hid behind JB...When he arrived at the station, he seemed prepared for them to talk-but then he asks KC if she wants to talk to him first (her face looked tentative), and she said yes almost before he was done with his sentence.
Now, you may be right in that when he spoke to her privately, he pointed out what she could get herself into if she did this. As her legal advocate, it is good for him to let her know the legal consequences, but a fine line between that and telling her that she should not talk to them. At some point, it becomes selfish, like he just wants to win, or wants to be his client's hero. Even though he is her legal advocate, there to make sure the law is fairly applied to her, it is not okay, IMO, for defense attorneys to block justice for the victim-Caylee in this case.
If JB told her not to say something that she really wanted to say, he would be blocking justice for not only Caylee, but for KC.

ETA-Tying back to the plea topic, if it is the best thing for KC to do at this juncture, her attorneys need to let her know that, and not allow KC to lead them around by the nose. She has to be sat down and told about the real world at some point.

Personally, I would be shocked if she took a plea. She too pathological to admit truthfully what she did. I just can't see her standing before the judge on national TV admitting what she did. JMO

JB should look at it this way: At some point on the appeals process, per my understanding, a motion will be filed which questions the performance of her initial attorneys. If this is going to happen anyway, why not tell her they need to go to the state hat in hand asking for a plea?
What, is she going to fire him? She will probably do that anyway if she goes through with trial.
But she still thinks she can get off, and maybe her attorneys still see a sliver of light, too. I believe that when AL gets done assessing all of the prelimniary stuff, she will be able to make a solid recommendation to KC.

Sorry for the motor-fingers this morning, but if KC were offered a plea bargain, is it imagineable that she could serve only 20 years or so, consecutive with the check felonies?
Has the state put together anything (I know we have here, and many of us believe she was a physical threat to her parents) that would point to her being a danger to society? I am not sure I have seen them address that-which means a plea deal could be anything, if they only think she snapped on Caylee and won't hurt anyone else. Also, before the check charges, she had no record. Ugh.

Just trying to wrap my head around this but why would it be in the State's best interest to offer another plea deal? They offered one already and KC refused to take it so it leaves me to wonder why the State might offer another?

Personally, I don't foresee the State offering another plea deal.

Just trying to wrap my head around this but why would it be in the State's best interest to offer another plea deal? They offered one already and KC refused to take it so it leaves me to wonder why the State might offer another?

Personally, I don't foresee the State offering another plea deal.

The benefit would be the costs involved in the trial and appeals process attached to a death penalty case, as well as a guaranteed conviction (that could not be appealed at all realistically).

The costs not yet incurred by the state of Florida are HUGE.

I don't personally see the state offering anything.
If they were approached (by some imaginary defense team that actually cared about her best interest rather than getting their name out in the public as a high profile attorney) and asked for a life sentence in exchange for not executing her I think the state would snap it up.

With the egos involved I don't see that happening at all.
I will win power ball first.

This may not seem so nice of me, especially considering I am not a resident of Orange County, and it is not my tax money that will pay for all of this..

But..
I will be extremely disappointed if Casey is offered a plea. I want to see this go to court. I think that taking this to court, and having her face her family, ex-friends, and professionals who are much, much smarter than her will be somewhat more of a punishment than serving life in prison. I think it is important that Casey see's face to face what she has done to so many people in her life..It is important that every lie be thrown back into her face... It is important that George and Cindy see what their daughter has done, it is important that other parents are given the opportunity to learn the warning signs in their children...

They could not offer a set number of years rather than Life? I didn't know that.
I need to ask this question on the Hornsby thread, because I am not totally sure. I would be very surprised if they offered her anything less than LWOP...better check.

OK, I asked the question on the R. Hornsby thread and this was his response...

"If she is convicted as charged, the Section 782.04(1)(b), Florida Statutes, states "In all cases under this section, the procedure set forth in s. 921.141 shall be followed in order to determine sentence of death or life imprisonment."

"And in Florida, Life means Life."

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92655&page=4

I can not imagine the State would offer a plea deal now. That barn door has been closed in my opinion.
Casey's got to face the music now, to borrow an old phrase.
Let's get on with it.
jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla