CA CA - Sarah Reyes, 18, Redlands, 3 Oct 1994

Tom'sGirl

Former Member
Reaction score
Redlands police this afternoon arrested a 52-year-old woman on suspicion of killing her 18-year-old tenant in 1994, the first case tackled by the department's new cold case unit.
snip
In 2000, skeletal remains were found in a shallow grave in rural Valley Center, in San Diego County just south of Temecula. The remains, which were fully clothed, went unidentified until 2006, when a volunteer organization alerted police that they could be a match to Reyes.

In 2008, dental records officially confirmed the identity.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_webcoldcase.3544de6.html

I had never read anything about this case and sadly the only place I could find her full name, "Sarah Reyes Hernandez" was at Charley Project.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hernandez_sarah.html

Her baby son must be about 16 now. I'm glad he might get to see some justice for his mother.

Possible identification in 2006 and it takes two years to get the dentals? She was not identified until 2008? Geezzzzz...... I know LE is busy, but come on?!?

Prayers that justice is finally on its way,

Salem

I heard about this on the way to work. I am gonna have to back track to find out all the information on this story. My family moved to redlands in 1994 and I still lilve in Redlands. I have never heard about about until today though. I am glad she will have justice.

Now Sarah Reyes can finally rest in peace, and her family can have finally know where she is.

GB them all.

Cold-case suspect arrested again

Redlands police this morning re-arrested a suspect in the cold-case investigation of the 1994 disappearance and killing of young mother Sarah Reyes.

Seferina Ponce Marquez, 52, was taken into custody shortly before 10 a.m. on the same north Redlands property where Reyes, her former tenant, was last seen alive. The arrest comes three weeks after a San Bernardino County judge dismissed the initial murder charges against Ponce because of a jurisdictional issue.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_W_webcoldcase.1e1892f.html

Amazing story chronicled with photos and narration.
Special Report: The Truth About Sarah

Cold-case suspect arrested again

Redlands police this morning re-arrested a suspect in the cold-case investigation of the 1994 disappearance and killing of young mother Sarah Reyes.

Seferina Ponce Marquez, 52, was taken into custody shortly before 10 a.m. on the same north Redlands property where Reyes, her former tenant, was last seen alive. The arrest comes three weeks after a San Bernardino County judge dismissed the initial murder charges against Ponce because of a jurisdictional issue.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_W_webcoldcase.1e1892f.html

Amazing story chronicled with photos and narration.
Special Report: The Truth About Sarah

I have been following Sarah's story in The Press Enterprise and I feel like I know young Sarah. I run out to the end of the driveway every morning, in the rain, to get the paper for the next installment of her sad story. I have grown to despise Seferina with a passion and can't stand looking at her picture in the paper. If ever there was a human being without compassion and emotion in her face..it would be this woman. I was so disappointed to read that her son did not show up for Sarah's funeral. Maybe it was too emotional or maybe it was just because he was being asked to care for a woman that he never knew or created a bond with. I am so happy to know they have re-arrested Seferina and hope and pray they convict her of murdering Sarah. There are too many players in this case and one is bound to talk!!

wow, I just read that entire series & I'm impressed with that journalist
that's what papers should be like & more of us might subscribe

hope Sarah's killer(s) are brought to justice this time!

I wonder what evidence they have to believe the landlady is responsible? I hope all of those responsible are brought to justice!

From January 2011:

http://www.pe.com/articles/case-621571-ponce-reyes.html

Prosecutors said Tuesday they will not appeal a judge's decision to dismiss a murder charge in the 1994 killing of an 18-year-old Redlands woman, ending a cold case investigation that had consumed and frustrated detectives for years.

Seferina Ponce Marquez, 53, was released in November after months in jail when a judge granted her defense attorney's motion to throw out the case. The defense had argued that Ponce could not receive a fair trial because so much time had passed and evidence was missing...

Redlands police Lt. Chris Catren said he was disappointed the case won't be tried, but is confident prosecutors did all they could. "The district attorney's office bent over backwards to help us on this case," he said... "We believe we solved this case."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back