Motion to stop jail recordings: denied Thurdsay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Judge Strickland said that Casey should not get special treatment in the jail.

The defense wanted the jail to stop videotaping Casey whenever she was meeting with her lawyers.

But the jail videotapes every inmate in those situations so the judge denied the motion. He also said he will review in camera any jail videos before they are released to the media. http://www.clickorlando.com/download/2009/1217/21995916.pdf

Judge Denies Another Defense Motion In Casey Case

Posted: 4:43 pm EST December 17, 2009

Comment On This Story ››
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Judge Stan Strickland denied another defense motion in the case against Casey Anthony Thursday. WFTV.com will post the motion as soon as possible.

The defense wanted the jail to stop videotaping Casey whenever she was meeting with her lawyers or with her family.

But the jail videotapes every inmate in those situations so the judge denied the motion. He also turned down three other motions that came out of last Friday's court hearing.
So that's one more to go?

Thank you TWA but we need a link and make sure you don't violate copyright with your post. thanks :)

I am sorry, I must be misunderstanding something - they video ALL inmate's visits with counsel?

now I didnt think they were supposed to be doing that, everyone has a right to private counsel, and I do know it isnt an art, but people can read lips so I would think video could violate client-attorney priveledge?

dont mind me - her visits with others should dang well be recorded if all inmates' are but I like rights and I am not sure this doesnt violate one?

SO according to the order (MOO) SS gets to view the tapes (of JB and KC) before they are released and decide if they will be prejudicial - this to make the delay in release minimal. It does say if the court says the tape is prejudicial " the court would then set a hearing at the request of any party in interest". I guess this is the point the media could request to view the tape and then report on it but not have it released??

The defense wanted the jail to stop videotaping Casey whenever she was meeting with her lawyers or with her family.

But the jail videotapes every inmate in those situations so the judge denied the motion. He also said he will review in camera any jail videos before they are released to the media. http://www.clickorlando.com/download...7/21995916.pdf

Does the link work?

I am sorry, I must be misunderstanding something - they video ALL inmate's visits with counsel?

now I didnt think they were supposed to be doing that, everyone has a right to private counsel, and I do know it isnt an art, but people can read lips so I would think video could violate client-attorney priveledge?

dont mind me - her visits with others should dang well be recorded if all inmates' are but I like rights and I am not sure this doesnt violate one?

Baez and Casey have been offered to my understanding to request a room to discuss the case without camera's. They apparently like the room they are in, so choose to complain about that one, instead of just asking to go to another room.
Honestly, if these video's were meant to be distributed, we would have seen them sharing a twizzler a long time ago. This is a safety measure in the jail, will be when Casey is in prison, and was long before she decided to kill Caylee.
Not everything the jail does is or has been for Casey..to them, she is just another criminal.
I see no disrespect to the client/lawyer privilege at all..

All visits are video/audio taped - but attorney client visits are only video'd without audio

But the jail videotapes every inmate in those situations so the judge denied the motion. He also said he will review in camera any jail videos before they are released to the media. http://www.clickorlando.com/download...7/21995916.pdf

Just to clarify - he has denied holding back any of the family/Casey videos, but has issued an in camera viewing if anyone wishes the release of lawyer/client videos.
This news report is pretty wishy washy with it's reporting, but the actual court document seems to make it clear he is not talking about reviewing the family visits - right?

I think they can sit with their backs to the camera if they wish - this is about passing contraband, touching, or I guess in the case of some prisoners, violence occurring.

this is a quote from JS -

"The court has witnessed at least one prior video, which could arguably affect the defendant's right to a fair trial, as well as jury selection," Strickland said in his ruling.

All I got to say is WOWSER - that must be some kind of video. IIRC it was the one where Casey learned about the finding of Caylee's remains? Or is it the one of her and JB eating the licorice? I know, I know, we don't know that for sure but......which one is JS referring to? Anybody?

this is a quote from JS -

"The court has witnessed at least one prior video, which could arguably affect the defendant's right to a fair trial, as well as jury selection," Strickland said in his ruling.

All I got to say is WOWSER - that must be some kind of video. IIRC it was the one where Casey learned about the finding of Caylee's remains? Or is it the one of her and JB eating the licorice? I know, I know, we don't know that for sure but......which one is JS referring to? Anybody?

The news about Caylee when she listened to the report. If you remember, he sealed it.

Is it normal for me to be so dang excited about this?
mypic.gif

http://www.wftv.com/pdf/21996157/detail.html

Sounds like they will be released after his approval. That is the way I read this, "Therefore, the defendant's Motion for a Protective Order is denied, however, the court will act as an intermediary to view, in camera, any jail video's scheduled to be released to the media."

We need Themis or one of the lawyers to help us, I can't see any reason any of the attorney/client visits would ever be released to the media, but obviously I have a poor understanding of how far reaching the sunshine laws are. I thought those visits were pretty much sacrosanct ( save for the jail needing to ensure safety, etc, which of course is necessary). None of Baez's meetings with her have been released yet that I know of. I know some of our members are pretty good friends with local media members there. Perhaps one could ask them if indeed that is something media has requested to see.

The visitation tapes are fair game, of course, but I have no need or desire to see the attorney/client meetings. WOW. This is news to me. If I were a local lawyer I would be opposed to this from my head down to my feet.... not the monitoring, or even the taping.....but the release. I trust the judge knows best, but I am for the first time in this case shocked. I bet Baez wishes he never brought this up, this could not have gone worse for him, imo. Now the judge has to review Baez's behavior, and let us not forget he already found something he did to be unethical enough to report him to the bar. Now he has to babysit in a way. Yikes.

Just to clarify - he has denied holding back any of the family/Casey videos, but has issued an in camera viewing if anyone wishes the release of lawyer/client videos.
This news report is pretty wishy washy with it's reporting, but the actual court document seems to make it clear he is not talking about reviewing the family visits - right?

Right.

Is it normal for me to be so dang excited about this?
mypic.gif

:woohoo:Yes, it is perfectly normal. :woohoo: I feel the same way! I'm dying to know how JS rules on the DP motion. I'm starting to get nervous.

BTW, it was my understanding the judge's viewing of the videotapes only concerned visits with her attorneys. Does he mean it for all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie