New Airline Rules

Trino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Passengers on all domestic and incoming flights now must remain in their seats with their seat belt fasten, have no access to the overhead bin, and cannot leave their seat within an hour before landing.

I guess I just don't get it. This is insane. Many elderly persons are incontinent. What if someone is ill? What about children that need to go to the bathroom?

If someone is going to blow up a plane, why do it the last hour? If I correctly recall, 911 wasn't during the last hour.

The problem is with Homeland Security, not passengers.

It is a nightmare. What are you supposed to do if you need to use a restroom? It seems they think the next attemt will be just exactly as the previous one. After the shoe bomer, they require passenges to remove shoes. Well, this one supposedly had a bomb in his underwear. I wonder if everyone will be required to take the underwear off and be strip searched from now on.

I know what you mean, but...

I don't fly even half as much as I used to, but I have been flying all over the country my entire life.

The new rules will be inconvenient, I agree, but not as inconvenient as trying to collect my body parts from three separate states after a terrorist has blown up the plane I'm flying in, midair.

There really are people on this planet whose one mission in life is to destroy the United States, our allies, and as many Americans as possible.

Our oldest and youngest travelers may have to don 'diapers' if it's not possible to 'hold it' for an hour at a time. Someday, I hope to be an old enough traveler where that situation may even apply to me. By God's grace.

I'm all for making it more difficult for the terrorists to accomplish their goals. Whatever it takes.

I know what you mean, but...

I don't fly even half as much as I used to, but I have been flying all over the country my entire life.

The new rules will be inconvenient, I agree, but not as inconvenient as trying to collect my body parts from three separate states after a terrorist has blown up the plane I'm flying in, midair.

There really are people on this planet whose one mission in life is to destroy the United States, our allies, and as many Americans as possible.

Our oldest and youngest travelers may have to don 'diapers' if it's not possible to 'hold it' for an hour at a time. Someday, I hope to be an old enough traveler where that situation may even apply to me. By God's grace.

I'm all for making it more difficult for the terrorists to accomplish their goals. Whatever it takes.

Why in the world would you think the terrorist could only attempt to blow up a plane in the last hour of the flight, just because this one allegedly did?
Really? What is to prevent someone from trying to do it in a first hour of the flight?
If you really want to be safe, I guess they will have to lock up all the restrooms, and have everyone wear a diaper for the duration of a flight. Or better yet, fly totally naked and perform a cavity search before boarding.

We all know that just yesterday, on Christmas, an alleged terrorist tried to blow up a plane loaded with Americans, right?

There is no reason to think that this 'failure' on the part of this one terrorist will make all the other terrorists throw in the towel, and give up on all future attempts at attacking on airplanes.

We all know that just yesterday, on Christmas, an alleged terrorist tried to blow up a plane loaded with Americans, right?

There is no reason to think that this 'failure' on the part of this one terrorist will make all the other terrorists thrown in the towel, and give up on all future attempts at attacking on airplanes.

And not letting people to use the bathroom in the last hour is going to prevent this how?
Someone couldn't possibly try to blow up a bomb in the first hour?
Terrorists are that stupid?

It's the stay in your seats and no going to the bathroom the last hour of flight that I don't quite understand yet either. I agree, a terrorist can blow up a plane at any time - whether it be the first hour within flight or the last hour. I understand the TSA having to introduce new security enforcements, but it seems they are always one step behind the terrorists.

As a side note, I guess they need to stop serving beverages to us if they expect us to hold our bladders for the last duration of the flight.

I don't think that terrorists "could only attempt to blow up a plane in the last hour of the flight" - I'm not sure where you are getting that from, but, it is certainly not from my post.

I understand that terrorists will attack in any way they feel may be 'successful'. Beginning of flight, middle of flight, end of flight.

Do you suggest we throw out all safety precautions altogether? Allow firearms on planes? Do not hassle a guy if it's obvious he has a bomb strapped to the outside of his clothing, even? Of course not (I hope).

~I don't think that's what you are suggesting- but it is no more silly than to suggest that I am saying that everyone should fly naked with a diaper on for the entire duration of a flight. I never even came close to thinking that.

I feel we have to find a safe medium.

We have to find a safe medium because we can not be sure what exactly, or when exactly, the next attempt will be.

The terrorist has the advantage of planning. We have the disadvantage of guessing. Even in football, it is easier to play offense than defense.

There is a big difference between restricting travelers to their seats during certain portions of a flight, and wanting everyone to fly naked with out ever being allowed out of their seats - and, I am sure if you reread my post, you will understand this.

No, I don't understand this. I am not against security measures, but this one appears to be useless and extremely incovninient. Forbidding the use of a restroom in the last hour of the flight makes no sense whatsoever, since someone could attempt to blow up the plane at any time, and not just the last hour.
Meanwhile, what are the passengers who need to use a restroom supposed to do? Maybe the seats should be turned into portable toilets, so no one ever has to leave their seat. Oh they really will have to strip everyone naked and issue a diaper before boarding (I am being sarcastic, by the way).

No, I don't understand this. I am not against security measures, but this one appears to be useless and extremely incovninient. Forbidding the use of a restroom in the last hour of the flight makes no sense whatsoever, since someone could attempt to blow up the plane at any time, and not just the last hour.
Meanwhile, what are the passengers who need to use a restroom supposed to do? Maybe the seats should be turned into a portable toilets, so no one ever has to leave their seat. Oh they really will have to strip everyone naked and issue a diaper before boarding (I am being sarcastic, by the way).
I'm not certain, but I think that the first and last hour of a flight may be the most dangerous due to elevation.

It stands to reason that a plane at a higher elevation, if blown up, will do less overall damage than a plane at a lower elevation- due to the population density surrounding airports within a certain radius.

(Where is - I'm sure he could answer many of our questions about this- he's a pilot, isn't he)?

I'm not certain, but I think that the first and last hour of a flight may be the most dangerous due to elevation.

It stands to reason that a plane at a higher elevation, if blown up, will do less overall damage than a plane at a lower elevation- due to the population surrounding airports within a certain radius.

(Where is - I'm sure he could answer many of our questions about this- he's a pilot, isn't he)?

Well, if that is the logic, why allow the use of restroom during the first hour? What exactly is someone supposed to do who needs to use a restroom?
Like I said, diapers for everyone.

Utters---'UNFreakinbelievable..." This makes no sense..

Terrorists will bomb you when they are ready.

What if I have to pee.....? Help..I have to stretch too.:waitasec:

Thanks for posting the new rules for us that still live in a normal world. Why don't they just make us sit strapped to our seats the whole flight???

Gozgals

Exactly the problem is Homeland Security/TSA. Good grief….

Maybe they’ll change it to: within an hour before landing you can go to the restroom or access the overhead bin for an additional $50.00.

Save that little dixie cup of coke, coffee or juice the flight attendents offer a half hour or so into the flight. You might have to use that empty cup as a personal mini toilet while you are strapped to your seat that last hour. Just saying. I hope you know I'm kidding, but hey I bet it's bound to happen. Someone is bound to get a little crazy, bust a gut and have to "go" and use that cup!:crazy::crazy:

I am not a proponent of making more and more ad nauseum rules . . . but sheesh, can't an adult person take a whiz, and take your children to whiz and PLAN to not get out of your seat in that last hour? Ease up on the fluid intake toward the end of the flight?

It's not like you have a choice to follow the rule or not.

I hate stupid rules like the next person, and think we have to many of them. But when it comes to preventing terrorist activity, I'm glad to cooperate.

I wonder if Israel, who have lived with domestic terrorism as a daily reality for decades has these kinds of rules on their flights?

Save that little dixie cup of coke, coffee or juice the flight attendents offer a half hour or so into the flight. You might have to use that empty cup as a personal mini toilet while you are strapped to your seat that last hour. Just saying. I hope you know I'm kidding, but hey I bet it's bound to happen. Someone is bound to get a little crazy, bust a gut and have to "go" and use that cup!:crazy::crazy:

I think those barf bags will hold more . . .

I'm imagining everyone being strip searched before a flight, then donning airline-provided paper gowns and sitting on airline-provided "pee pads" throughout the flight. No contraband, no getting up. I'm just not understanding how tying everyone down, basically, for the last hour does anything. I mean, it might be worth it if it did, but I don't see it.

I am not a proponent of making more and more ad nauseum rules . . . but sheesh, can't an adult person take a whiz, and take your children to whiz and PLAN to not get out of your seat in that last hour? Ease up on the fluid intake toward the end of the flight?

It's not like you have a choice to follow the rule or not.

I hate stupid rules like the next person, and think we have to many of them. But when it comes to preventing terrorist activity, I'm glad to cooperate.

I wonder if Israel, who have lived with domestic terrorism as a daily reality for decades has these kinds of rules on their flights?

It's pretty easy for a healthy person to say.
By the way, how is that going to preven terrorist activity? Is there a law that terrorist has to wait for the last hour of flight to make a move?
It makes no sense.

Maybe we should start a letter campaign, explaining to the terrorists how much they are inconveniencing American travelers.

Perhaps they will have compassion, and stop trying to blow us up. (I mean, even terrorists have to pee, right)?

Until this happens though, I will abide by the new regulations, and trust that Homeland Security just might know a little more about the benefit of this new security precaution- and the reasoning behind it- than I do.

I think it is interesting, that after a major disaster, people scream and holler about how not enough was done in the name of prevention.

Maybe we should start a letter campaign, explaining to the terrorists how much they are inconveniencing American travelers.

Perhaps they will have compassion, and stop trying to blow us up. (I mean, even terrorists have to pee, right)?

Until this happens though, I will abide by the new regulations, and trust that Homeland Security just might know a little more about the benefit of this new security precaution- and the reasoning behind it- than I do.

I think it is interesting, that after a major disaster, people scream and holler about how not enough was done in the name of prevention.

And if they require you to undress and put on a diaper, you are going to follow that as well? Seriously, at what point we are "benefited from this new security" so much that it becomes impossible to fly?
Now I am hearing they might forbid any carry on baggage? So what am I supposed to do with my essential things when I fly?

I would guess that since take off and landing are the most critical and dangerous parts of the flight,trying to minimize the danger at that time and close the window of opportunity to do the most damage might possibly be helpful.

I am one of those people that never gets out of their seat for the entire flight, so doesn't matter to me at all.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest
Back