GUILTY FL - Camden Hiers, 5, drowned in bathtub, St George Island, 4 Jan 2010

im rapidly lose what faith i have left in humanity. :furious:

I agree. She couldn't kill herself but she could kill this helpless little boy that she is supposed to love. Such insanity.

If you can't trust Grandma who the he!! can ya trust?
Florida again hmmm I'm not shocked.

jmo

I read this earlier today. There is not a lot of info about this sad sad murder. I would like to know more about the grandmother's mental health history. My prayers to this family.

This is crazy!
I would not let my son who is four stay with my parents or my husbands parents on vacation or even overnight. His parents I have met three times and I have been with my husband 8 years. They live near a lake, and my mom is very heavy drinker. Both sets of grandparents display immature thinking patterns. I wonder if the grandmother did as well. Just because they are grandparents doesnt make them capable of taking care of children.

Well WTH is going on in Florida! Is there something in the water? Seems like for months now our forums have been full of the craziest crap ever and most of it's coming from FL.

How horrible...I don't care at all about her "mental health" history frankly....maybe the parents of the boy should have cared about it before this??
If she was this unstable then why was the boy with her??
Oh yeah...the "divorce"?? who knows...
this is unreal

This is just horrible

If you can't trust Grandma who the he!! can ya trust?
Florida again hmmm I'm not shocked.

jmo

There are nuts everywhere, not just Florida. Maybe you're just not hearing about it. Just cause it's your family member doesn't mean they are a safe person to leave your child with.
Day after day, parents make the same mistake and their children pay the price :(

Soulmagent--My heart goes out to you. Our family's dealt with a nutty set of "other" grandparents for seven years. First, they wanted to "force" our daughter into terminating her pregnancy because she's Asian and the father is white. The other grandmother actually had the audacity to set up a meeting with me and my daughter and then commenced to PRAY that she'd have the strength to end the pregnancy. I'm a very gentle person but I almost decked her. She then called an abortion clinic and pretended to be my daughter to set up an abortion. And she presents herself as a good Christian woman...Jeesh.

They make one poor choice after another--no car seat, no fence around the pool, heavy duty pain meds during the day while our girl watches movies, dog bites going untreated, letting our baby girl go with people they hardly know. It drives us to distraction. I literally have to start every single day calming my daughter down. She's since married and has a wonderful husband and they have custody of the child but the grandparents have her for two nights a month and something always goes wrong--always. No one says that they don't love the child, they just won't grow up and be responsible.

You and the other posters are absolutely right--just because someone is a relative and even loves the child, does NOT mean they are safe.

Without more information, it's hard to know the family dynamics of these grandparents. Mental-health-wise, I have seen alarming shifts in some people as they age and sometimes the decline seems to happen over night.

Without more information, it's hard to know the family dynamics of these grandparents. Mental-health-wise, I have seen alarming shifts in some people as they age and sometimes the decline seems to happen over night.

This is true but the fact that she tried to run away makes me think she full well knew what she was doing. It is unthinkable to me; I love my grands as much as my own children!

Soulmagent--My heart goes out to you. Our family's dealt with a nutty set of "other" grandparents for seven years. First, they wanted to "force" our daughter into terminating her pregnancy because she's Asian and the father is white. The other grandmother actually had the audacity to set up a meeting with me and my daughter and then commenced to PRAY that she'd have the strength to end the pregnancy. I'm a very gentle person but I almost decked her. She then called an abortion clinic and pretended to be my daughter to set up an abortion. And she presents herself as a good Christian woman...Jeesh.

They make one poor choice after another--no car seat, no fence around the pool, heavy duty pain meds during the day while our girl watches movies, dog bites going untreated, letting our baby girl go with people they hardly know. It drives us to distraction. I literally have to start every single day calming my daughter down. She's since married and has a wonderful husband and they have custody of the child but the grandparents have her for two nights a month and something always goes wrong--always. No one says that they don't love the child, they just won't grow up and be responsible.

You and the other posters are absolutely right--just because someone is a relative and even loves the child, does NOT mean they are safe.

pleaes dont get angry, im just curious?
is there any legal reason why you guys have to leave her with them? to me it sounds like they are setting her up to get hurt one way or another.

kbl--You know me. If there was a way, do you honestly think we wouldn't have pursued it? LOL If I'm anything, it's tenacious. So is my daughter. The child's father doesn't really care to have visits which is fine with us as he is a 16 year old in a 27 year old's body. Karaoke is his life while our daughter works 10 hour shifts as a pastry chef!! The judge made clear that the grandparent's house was not safe but it's really hard to prove how often she's there.

The grandparents do love this little girl (yes, the "Oriental" child they were ashamed of--Lord help me). They just have NO common sense. My daughter and I have called and make somewhere around 10 complaints (dogbite, playing with a sword, condition of house, pool safety, lack of supervision). Not one complaint was frivolous or meant to be mean spirited.

Each complaint gets staffed but nothing has tipped to our favor. I have to remind myself that our county has children who are not eating because their parents are doing meth. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think our case merits a change in visitation. At least our girl is growing up and has a good head on her shoulders. She even knows how to call her Mommy is the Grandma passes out. I'm not much of a "ranter" but this family gets me ranting every time.

My daughter talks about doing motivational speaking to teen girls to warn them about having babies with flakes. I don't think teens realize that whether they stay with the other parent, they are going to be intimately involved in each other's lives forever.

Since this grandmother reportedly tried to commit suicide after she killed her grandson I cannot help but verbalize a rhetorical question once again: Why didn't she skip step one(killing her grandson) and moved straight to step two, her suicide???

Missizzy - you are so right. In addition to being careful with whom you have children, it is also good to assess the other person's family. As difficult as it may seem, sometimes even the "good catches" have families that could make life a living nightmare after a couple become parents. My daughter was seriously dating a guy who was a good guy,but his mother's side (parents divorced and married now to others) is as crazy as can be. She is constantly causing drama, and if there is none she will happily create it. She appears to have a personality disorder, and my daughter had made up her mind that if this relationship continued and became a marriage she would limit the time that side of the family spent with any grandchildren, and that time would be spent only at her house, not the grandparents. I pointed out to her that grandparents can go to court to ask for visitation, and without any proof that this would be bad for the child, visitation would be granted. There was so much drama from this woman that my daughter decided she could not imagine a married life with such craziness. She broke up with him, and doesn't regret it. I was so glad she had the ability to see what she needed to see. Unfortunately, so many people seem so "normal" until years of knowing them,or living with them.

Back to the subject at hand, this grandmother seems like she must have had some of her own demons regarding children of divorce, even if she did not have a history of mental illness. It could be a case of a certain set of circumstances bringing to the forefront issues that this woman has never dealt with, and she snapped. Still no excuse - my sympathy to the parents of this child. I hope they are getting much needed emotional support.

I just learned of this case a few minutes ago on the news. JVM will discuss it on her show Issues tonight for those interested. It's horrible to think that this trusting grandmother would do this to her grandson. It just tears me up.

On HLN, parents are devastated. Grandson was just suppose to be on a 'vacation' with
his grandparents. Mom's parents. The couple had been divorced for 3 years!!
Grandmother tried to suicide by drowning in the gulf!!!

This lady is a German citizen as is her husband? The grandparents I mean? So they lived here some of the time with their DD?

Something tells me there's way more to this story.

OMG, this is one of the saddest stories, there is just no reason, no reason at all.

I am another parent who has decided in the past, and in the present for my children to not be left alone with relatives, it is a hard decision, but one that had to be made in the interest of the safety of my children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back