Josh plans to pack up Utah home

Patty G

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Susan Powell's husband expected to pack up home in Utah

Joshua Powell has told friends he plans to sell his West Valley City home because the loss of his job does not allow him to make the mortgage payments. McLachlan said Powell is "free to sell it if he wants to" and police are not concerned about the home sale. He said any potential evidence was gathered during searches of the home last month.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14134908

I have a feeling that the house will go into foreclosure within a couple of months.

if susan's name is on the mortgage and she isn't there to sign the forms when the house sells, what are josh's options?

Shades of Chris Coleman...packed up everything and stopped making payments.

We could write a textbook on these crimes!

He might be able to do a "Quick Claim Deed" in order to sell the house.

I think he would need to have her declared dead or having abandoned them, and I think that would take a lot longer than he's hoping.

Normally, she could sign a quitclaim so he could sell it, but I don't believe he can't sign one on her behalf without some sort of legal intervention.

Not a lawyer, but we just went through this - someone signed one so they would have no claims to nor liability for a business.

I think he would need to have her declared dead or having abandoned them, and I think that would take a lot longer than he's hoping.

Normally, she could sign a quitclaim so he could sell it, but I don't believe he can't sign one on her behalf without some sort of legal intervention.

Not a lawyer, but we just went through this - someone signed one so they would have no claims to nor liability for a business.

I wasn't 100% sure if he could do a "quit claim deed" and made sure I bolded the "might". Hopefully someone with more knowledge can give some more input to how "quit claim" deeds work.

Even after 6 years, Kathy hasn't been able to get a death cert on Jennifer Wix. I think we need to get JBean in here on this as she has knowledge in this area. Lemme go and fetch her. :)

Hmm, don;t know much about Utah law,but this should not be an easy fix, since she is still missing.
Let me go look up the records and see if she is even on title in the first place.
Even if she's not, some areas require the spouse to sign off anyway.
In the event of foreclosure it doesn't matter who is on title.Now here in CA we primarily do non judicial foreclosures which is easy and does not involve the courts. I don't know what the typical action is in UT and if judicial foreclosure is the norm. But let me go check a couple things.

do we have an address? name search is not coming up with anything. Tell me as much as we know.

oh wait I just found it hang on.

Interestingly they bought the house from HUD , perhaps bought it from HUD out of foreclosure or some atypical fashion. They are both on title. Let me see what else i can find.

Not to barge in here, but I believe you are talking about a "quitclaim deed", not "quick claim". Back into hiding...

You're right. It works "quickly" however. :wink:

I still don't think Josh can do that when there isn't any proof that Susan isn't alive at this point. Kathy can't even pull medical records on her daughter Jenn until she's been missing for seven years.

Susan is definitely on the deed,they bought the home from HUD after a foreclosure.
UT is like CA in that they primarily use non judicial foreclosure.
I have a couple thoughts as to how he could pull this off but I need to confirm a few things.

You're right. It works "quickly" however. :wink:

I still don't think Josh can do that when there isn't any proof that Susan isn't alive at this point. Kathy can't even pull medical records on her daughter Jenn until she's been missing for seven years.

ITA. He is just doing his thing like nothing every happened. He's an idiot. Can I say that? :waitasec:

This all seems so wrong to me in so many ways. For Josh to even want to sell the house just shows to me that he knows that she is not coming back. Also, if the one that I loved went missing, I would want to hold on to all things possible in hopes of that person coming back, and if not for me, then at least for the kids' sake. The kids must be devastated to lose their mom and now their home. This house belongs to Susan just as much as it does Josh. And just what makes him think she is not coming back. He knows what he has done to her. He has no hopes for her coming back, no remorse, no calling out for her, no helping to find her....I could go on and on and on. I'm just venting. It's just by him wanting to sell the house, just means to me ... it is the end. JMO

from what i can see here, that house would be underwater based on the fact that we know they are in debt so it is higly unlikely that any of these revolving credit lines against the house have zero balances.
Based on the original TD amount the credit lines,and the assesors market value, I don't think there is anything there.
But, I cannot say for sure and am continuing to look.

Are either of these people Vets?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back