GUILTY TX - Joy, 34, & Jodi Hummel, 5, Eddie Bedford, 57, murdered, Kennedale, 18 Dec 2009

4Kat

Reaction score
These murders happened a week before Christmas, Dec 18.

John Hummel admits to stabbing Joy Hummel (his pregnant wife) multiple times. He then goes into Clyde "Eddie" Bedford's (FIL) bedroom and beats him with a baseball bat. This next bit is hard to write, he goes into 5yr old Jodi Hummel's bedroom and uses the same bat on her. He set the house on fire and drove away.

He returned several hours later while the police and fire departments were there and gave a statement. The next day he was gone. Concerned relatives and friends filed a missing persons report concerned that his grief would be overwhelming.

He was detained while crossing into the U.S.(California) from Mexico on Sunday Dec 20. Had it not been for the missing persons report, this would still be out there.

This link is just one of the reports about these murders
http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1862588.html?storylink=digger-topic

I'm not sure if I can post a link to his myspace page, but it's not hard to find. He is from Kennedale, Tx and the only 2 that show up are both his.
The first one has several pictures of his beautiful wife and adorable daughter.

I do not understand how a man could do this to his family...it breaks my heart.

Kat, I don't think we could ever understand how a father could beat his own beautiful little girl with a baseball bat and stab his wife and FIL. Then the coward starts a fire?

Yeah, Johnnyfiredragon took his zombie stuff to a new level. What in heaven's name could cause a man to hurt his family like that?

It's all too sad. I think this is a different link. The arraignment. That photo at this link I bet them cops wanted to beat him senseless.

http://www.star-telegram.com/extras/story/1862274.html

It took me awhile, but I found him looking to join a Dungeons and Dragons group. That was back in 2008. Not that it has anything to do with these horrific murders, but I'm looking for anything on this guy.http://dnd.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/burleson/

I found the myspace pages. There's a few pics where he seems to be just as his status is, "overstimulated". Or at least his eyes look that way. There's also a picture where he has on a security guard uniform. Of course none of this gives any insight as to why he would do such a horrible thing.

I found the myspace pages. There's a few pics where he seems to be just as his status is, "overstimulated". Or at least his eyes look that way. There's also a picture where he has on a security guard uniform. Of course none of this gives any insight as to why he would do such a horrible thing.

ITA. His eyes are just creepy in some of those pics - like black holes. He had a beautiful family.

My heart goes out to those who remain to pick up the pieces. :(

Clyde was in a wheel chair and could not put up much of a fight. Hummel worked as a security guard.

This is so sad. What a beautiful and tender looking little girl. How are we expected to draw a correlation from the lovely wedding photo or the "just after birth" photo and the horrible crime committed.

He lists himself as his own hero. In one of the photos, John's even wearing a Christian t-shirt "Actions Speak Louder Than Words". Indeed.

There are three things that really worry me. One is a photo on John's MS of him dancing with his daughter (page 2 of Pics). They are both all in red and it looks as if she's standing on a bed next to a man (am I right, here?). The other is his most recent comment by a woman named "C". If you check out her MS, there's something creepy. A guy she knows really well just murdered his family and she feels "aroused" today? There's also the detail on her page of "partying with "P" and my ex" and some questionable comments about kids. Lastly, check out one of his friends, Madame "M". Her MS page is not a cheery one and she last posted 12/16.

Yuck. Do we have to go there...again? You don't think that this slimeball hurt his baby girl and the other two found out about it, do you?

Also note the comment left on John's MS by his wife on July 8. 2007. That strikes me as odd. I wonder what he did that frightened her so much?

This is so sad. What a beautiful and tender looking little girl. How are we expected to draw a correlation from the lovely wedding photo or the "just after birth" photo and the horrible crime committed.

He lists himself as his own hero. In one of the photos, John's even wearing a Christian t-shirt "Actions Speak Louder Than Words". Indeed.

There are three things that really worry me. One is a photo on John's MS of him dancing with his daughter (page 2 of Pics). They are both all in red and it looks as if she's standing on a bed next to a man (am I right, here?). The other is his most recent comment by a woman named "C". If you check out her MS, there's something creepy. A guy she knows really well just murdered his family and she feels "aroused" today? There's also the detail on her page of "partying with "P" and my ex" and some questionable comments about kids. Lastly, check out one of his friends, Madame "M". Her MS page is not a cheery one and she's last posted 12/16.

Yuck. Do we have to go there...again? You don't think that this slimeball hurt his baby girl and the other two found out about it, do you?

God I hope not Missizzy!

In regards to the picture of them dancing, I don't think there is anyone else there. It does look like she is standing on a bed. What looks like a leg may be a body pillow, and the upper torso looks like a jacket draped over a chair. I can see how this could look like another person though I hope not.
Those other MS pages you mentioned really creep me out.

I went by their house today. I found out it is only about 5 miles from my house. Looking at it really broke my heart! Little Angel's swing set and some of her toys are out back and a very nice memorial to all of them is out front with a Christmas tree.

I would really like to know why, although any answer will not ever be sufficient.

May their souls rest in peace.

4Kat--I'm so sorry you had to see their house. That must be devastatingly sad. I have to disagree about the photo, though. Of course, you could be right but I really think that the little girl is standing on a bed, sort of behind a guy wearing tweed pants and a dark top. You can just see the tip of his head/hat behind her back where the Dad's hand is. It looks as if the man is doing something on a ledge or a desk and that there's a model and a sword there.

I think the reason this picture really bugs me is that there's an almost identical one which I saw on Darrin Daly's MS. He's the guy from Oregon who was selling time with little girls on Craigslist.

Given some of John's friends, I'm really afraid that there might have been something nasty going on. And notice that his wife was pregnant. Pregnant women are not known for staying calm and complacent when confronted with horrible realities. They are in protection mode!! Just a theory here but I think she might have caught John or confronted him about what he was doing and he went off the deep end. That might explain the sequence of murders. Has anyone seen the autopsy reports on the child?

On December 6th, he had "too much going on in his mind to think straight". He murdered his family 12 days later. A mental break or knowledge that he'd been caught in something?

Can someone explain to me why John Hummel's Myspace page was last upgraded on 1/11/10 and the last log in was 2/5/10?

Being that he killed his pregnant wife, young daughter, and disabled father-in-law, it seems odd that someone would be logging on. I've not found any updates in this case. I was very interested in learning what the autopsy showed for the daughter. Is that being sealed until trial? I have suspicions that John's wife, Joy, might have learned some information that he didn't want her taking to authorities. Just a hunch.

http://www.myspace.com/johnfiredragon

I wonder if he's being provided his Zombie books at the county jail?

Can someone explain to me why John Hummel's Myspace page was last upgraded on 1/11/10 and the last log in was 2/5/10?

I noticed that, too.
I wonder if LE sometimes logs into an accused's social netoworking accounts to look for clues?

And I agree with what others said about his...interesting eyes. I always find it intriguing when someone is smiling in their picture, but the smile doesn't reach their eyes, if you know what I mean.

The guy looks possessed! The look in his eyes from the photos on myspace are down right creepy.

Charges include the murder of his wife's unborn child.

http://startelegram.typepad.com/crime_time/2010/02/kennedale-man-indicted-in-familys-massacre-.html

It may not be unusual for a Tarrant County grand jury to hand down a capital murder indictment, but one panel marked a milestone Wednesday when its members indicted a Kennedale man for allegedly murdering his unborn child.

The grand jury returned three counts of capital murder against John Hummel, 34, who is accused of massacring his family in December. He also torched their home and fled to Mexico, but he was caught in California while trying to reenter the U.S.

The grand jury alleged that the slaying of daughter Jodi Hummel, 5, was capital murder because the victim was a child under 6. She was beat to death with a baseball bat, according to investigators.

The death of Hummel’s pregnant wife, Joy, 34, was a capital murder, the grand jury alleged, because her death and the death of her unborn child constituted a multiple murder committed in the same criminal episode. The wife was stabbed repeatedly, police said.

Authorities also suspect Hummel in the murder of his father-in-law Clyde “Eddie” Bedford, 57. He also was bludgeoned to death with a bat, police said.

“This is the first capital murder we’ve ever indicted involving the death of an unborn child,” said District Attorney Joe Shannon.

Is there still no comment on the little girl's autopsy? I've really wondered if the child might have been sexually abused and the mother either caught Hummel in the act or threatened to turn him in.

Just one possible scenario.

Is there still no comment on the little girl's autopsy? I've really wondered if the child might have been sexually abused and the mother either caught Hummel in the act or threatened to turn him in.

Just one possible scenario.

I haven't seen anything other than the initial report that she died of "blunt force trauma". Your scenario sounds very reasonable, but to my knowledge there have been no reports pointing to that.

Taped statements reveal details of three Kennedale deaths

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/20/2785086/taped-statements-reveal-details.html#

January 20, 2011

FORT WORTH -- On the morning that John Hummel's pregnant wife, daughter and father-in-law were found dead in the burned debris of their Kennedale home, Hummel told police he knew nothing about the deaths or what caused the fire.

Only two days later, Hummel gave a different account to officers who had flown to San Diego to arrest him -- a story involving rat poison, a baseball bat and samurai swords.

"I killed my family and set the house on fire" was Hummel's opening line in a two-hour statement that was videotaped Dec. 20-21, 2009, in the San Diego County Jail.

In February, a Tarrant County grand jury indicted Hummel, now 35, on three capital murder charges. Prosecutors have chosen one charge to try him on -- that he killed his wife, Joy Hummel, and her father, Clyde Bedford, during the same "criminal episode." They are seeking the death penalty.

The videotaped statement was played this week at a pre-trial hearing, revealing publicly some details of the Dec. 17, 2009, slayings -- and possibly the motive behind them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back