JonBenet's name exploited again

Sophie

Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-monitor10-2010jan10,0,678527.story

Really just more commentary about the pageants but how sad is it that JonBenet, the sweet little lamb, has her name exploited again and has become almost a sociological term, a portmanteau expression for a prematurely sexualised and consumerised child?

ETA: In fairness, I guess this keeps JonBenet's name current so it's not all bad.

Sophie, it's worse than you know. I was killing some time before work, and I saw the cover of the new GLOBE. Not only does it have a blip on the case filled with errors (pretty basic ones at that), but it has a story on how Suri Cruise is becoming "the new JonBenet."

Sad.

Sophie, it's worse than you know. I was killing some time before work, and I saw the cover of the new GLOBE. Not only does it have a blip on the case filled with errors (pretty basic ones at that), but it has a story on how Suri Cruise is becoming "the new JonBenet."

Sad.

You'd think the Globe would be too ashamed to mention JonBenet's name after having their shameful actions in the case so throughly exposed.

Comparing Suri to JonBenet is appalling on so many levels.

You'd think the Globe would be too ashamed to mention JonBenet's name after having their shameful actions in the case so throughly exposed.

Comparing Suri to JonBenet is appalling on so many levels.
I don't believe shame is in their vocabulary
352m1qr.jpg

As long as there are still child beauty pagents, Jon Benet will be thrown about as an example, or a warning.

It's sad to think that the negative publicity she still has around her. It's been how many years now? and they have still stuck to the same sexualised, child pagent tragedy.

The tragedy was in her death.

So Frustrating.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2675669/7yearold_samba_queen_is_controversial.html?cat=7

Aside from the usual sadness that JonBenet's name has become coterminous with pageants and child sexualisation, this article raises the suspicion that the media has pretty much accepted as a fact that idea that a paedophile saw JBR in a pageant, tracked down her home and murdered her. Vile though the pageants may be, paedophiles like children, not children dressed as adults. While some paedophiles may used warped thinking to suggest that parents who put their children in the pageants are sexualising them and therefore endorsing paedophilia, it is a small subset of paedophiles who are attracted to children dressed as adults. If a paedophile killed JonBenet (which I doubt), it could have been any of the thousands of adults she met in her short life. I don't think that this idea of the paedophile coming from the pageant circuit is at all helpful.

(Sorry rant over: these articles are starting to do my head in).

I agree. It is the very childlike qualities inherent in children that are attractive to pedophiles. That is why I'd classify JB's molester as a situational molester. Someone who acts on sexual urges with a child because the child is accessible, and in a position to be coerced or forced into a sexual activity which they do not understand is wrong. This kind of abuse happens almost always when the abuser is a family member or other caregiver. It is sometimes a one-time thing, but usually will happen repeatedly.
I agree that some pedophiles may like to attend child beauty pageants. It's a sad thing, but should be no surprise to anyone. These kids are very sexualized by their own mothers. I'd love to see a follow-up on these little girls- see what the rate of teen pregnancy or early onset of sexual activity is among this group. They've been trained to portray a sexual message. Let's see how their mothers handle it when they project that same message at 13.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2675669/7yearold_samba_queen_is_controversial.html?cat=7

Aside from the usual sadness that JonBenet's name has become coterminous with pageants and child sexualisation, this article raises the suspicion that the media has pretty much accepted as a fact that idea that a paedophile saw JBR in a pageant, tracked down her home and murdered her. Vile though the pageants may be, paedophiles like children, not children dressed as adults. While some paedophiles may used warped thinking to suggest that parents who put their children in the pageants are sexualising them and therefore endorsing paedophilia, it is a small subset of paedophiles who are attracted to children dressed as adults. If a paedophile killed JonBenet (which I doubt), it could have been any of the thousands of adults she met in her short life. I don't think that this idea of the paedophile coming from the pageant circuit is at all helpful.

(Sorry rant over: these articles are starting to do my head in).

Hi Sophie.

The only country with a worse reputation for child prostitution is Thailand.

http://greatreporter.com/mambo/content/view/387/4/

Hiya Sophie.

`These children are being exploited by these pageants and by the show. This show is promoting pedophilia, and is very much sexualizing these children."

T&T does provoke that response in some.

I recently had the opportunity to watch two back to back episodes of the show and I can see why viewers enjoy it. It`s a window into that wacky world.
I enjoyed the camp and costuming and dance routines.
I didn`t enjoy the frustration inflicted upon the children.
or
The strange ventriloquist style hold used to display the infants.
The episodes highlighted Bad Parenting Skills.

One of the episodes included a `consulant`at $100 an hour, with a clientele of three hundred.

Pageant info:

Sunburst Beauty
http://www.pageantinfo.com/

PRIZES
Every Contestant shall receive an award..
Kings/Queens: in each age division will receive a crown, trophy, and their $200.00 beauty fee paid to State Finals.
Runners-up: Boys and girls in each age group will receive a trophy and their $200.00 beauty entry fee paid to the State Finals. (4-6 r-up in each age )
Photogenic Winner: in each age group will receive a trophy and their $200.00 beauty fee paid to the State Finals.
If you are not a winner or runner-up you will receive a participation trophy.
Attire, Hair, Eyes, Smile, Personality, and Top Model Face winners in each age group will receive Medals and their $200.00 beauty entry fee paid to the State Finals.
OPTIONAL INFORMATION
All Optional: Age groups are the same as beauty.
Winner in each age group for each optional!!! ATTIRE, HAIR, EYES, PERSONALITY, TOP MODEL FACE and SMILE are judges during the group line up. ($10.00 Each)

Photogenic: ($15.00) Bring with you to the pageant your best photo to be judged for photogenic. Any size but no larger than 8X10. Turn in when you get to pageant. Photos will be returned to you before you leave. If You would like to enter more than one photo you may do so at a fee of $5.00 for each additional photo entered.

ENTRY FEE
you only have to enter the Beauty Pageant.
Beauty Entry Fee (Mandatory).........45.00
Best Attire (Optional).................... ....10.00
Best Smile (Optional)........................10.00
Best Personality (optional).............10.00
Prettiest Eyes (Optional)..................10.00
Prettiest Hair (Optional)....................10.00
Top Model Face (Optional)...............10.00
Photogenic (Optional).......................15.00
(if you wish to enter a second photo or third photo they are 5.00 each.)

Miss All Canadian Pageant:
http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/
philosophy:
http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/philosophy.aspx

Hiya Sophie.

`These children are being exploited by these pageants and by the show. This show is promoting pedophilia, and is very much sexualizing these children."

T&T does provoke that response in some.

I recently had the opportunity to watch two back to back episodes of the show and I can see why viewers enjoy it. It`s a window into that wacky world.
I enjoyed the camp and costuming and dance routines.
I didn`t enjoy the frustration inflicted upon the children.
or
The strange ventriloquist style hold used to display the infants.
The episodes highlighted Bad Parenting Skills.

One of the episodes included a `consulant`at $100 an hour, with a clientele of three hundred.

Pageant info:

Sunburst Beauty
http://www.pageantinfo.com/

PRIZES
Every Contestant shall receive an award..
Kings/Queens: in each age division will receive a crown, trophy, and their $200.00 beauty fee paid to State Finals.
Runners-up: Boys and girls in each age group will receive a trophy and their $200.00 beauty entry fee paid to the State Finals. (4-6 r-up in each age )
Photogenic Winner: in each age group will receive a trophy and their $200.00 beauty fee paid to the State Finals.
If you are not a winner or runner-up you will receive a participation trophy.
Attire, Hair, Eyes, Smile, Personality, and Top Model Face winners in each age group will receive Medals and their $200.00 beauty entry fee paid to the State Finals.
OPTIONAL INFORMATION
All Optional: Age groups are the same as beauty.
Winner in each age group for each optional!!! ATTIRE, HAIR, EYES, PERSONALITY, TOP MODEL FACE and SMILE are judges during the group line up. ($10.00 Each)

Photogenic: ($15.00) Bring with you to the pageant your best photo to be judged for photogenic. Any size but no larger than 8X10. Turn in when you get to pageant. Photos will be returned to you before you leave. If You would like to enter more than one photo you may do so at a fee of $5.00 for each additional photo entered.

ENTRY FEE
you only have to enter the Beauty Pageant.
Beauty Entry Fee (Mandatory).........45.00
Best Attire (Optional).................... ....10.00
Best Smile (Optional)........................10.00
Best Personality (optional).............10.00
Prettiest Eyes (Optional)..................10.00
Prettiest Hair (Optional)....................10.00
Top Model Face (Optional)...............10.00
Photogenic (Optional).......................15.00
(if you wish to enter a second photo or third photo they are 5.00 each.)

Miss All Canadian Pageant:
http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/
philosophy:
http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/philosophy.aspx

TY for that, Tadpole: fascinating. 'Prettiest hair' FGS!

Especially when the "Prettiest Hair" is a hairpiece or wig and not the child's natural hair.

Especially when the "Prettiest Hair" is a hairpiece or wig and not the child's natural hair.

ITA - it's so sad to think of little girls being coached in plasticity so young :(

One image from one of the shows on the pageants that always upsets me is a mother applying mascara to her toddler's eyelashes and chastising the child when she cried. I know this isn't necessarily typical of pageant behaviour and that the TV channels use the stuff that makes good telly but I can't think of any good that can possibly come from an activity that requires a baby to wear mascara.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back